It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Johnson can't catch a break
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'd bet if he wasn't on injured reserve, he'd be starting right now for the Falcons. Because Joe Hawley is definitely not the answer at right guard.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mike Johnson can't catch a break
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I'd bet if he wasn't on injured reserve, he'd be starting right now for the Falcons. Because Joe Hawley is definitely not the answer at right guard.

Amen Pudge!!! Too small, too easily pushed around. I don't see any future with him at center. RG is a definite need either in the draft or FA because I not sure of Johnson either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't like Mike Johnson...... but I don't like Hawley either....Hope McClure plays till he's 40.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 am 

I think Hawley has a potentially bright future at center. Playing guard in the NFL is dramatically different than playing center.

I'm fine with Hawley moving to center next year. I think he only really faces two major obstacles to becoming a better center than Todd McClure in the future.

1) Experience/Intelligence/Recognition/IQ> You know all the mental part of being a center. Recognizing blitzes, making adjustments, etc. This is something that McClure does extremely well, and IMO has been the primary contributor to why he's been effective for as long as he has. Will Hawley be able to do this as ably as McClure? Probably not. But if he's 80% as good as McClure, then i think that is good enough. And I think this is something that can only really develop with time and film study.

2) Hands. I don't think Hawley uses his hands particularly well. That's not a huge deal for most guards because they are much bigger and stronger athletes than him. But it's of the utmost importance for the center position because he's not going to be able to move DTs off the ball with his power, he'll have to use his hands to lock on and get leverage consistently. This is another thing that typically progresses over time, because younger O-linemen are much more raw in the technical aspects of using their hands. Will this develop? This I'm less confident with being able to develop over time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

If those things develop, then I think Hawley can have a nice long prosperous career anchoring the middle of our O-line. If not, then people are going to be clamoring for him to be gone by 2014.

And for the record, 2012 has the potential to be a really solid center class. Not quite 2009 level, but there is the potential that this class produces 3 or 4 really good centers.

Profile E-mail