It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The curious case of playcalling yesterday
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Estrada, Lightenburg? Are you kidding me? These guys were journeymen, at best. Now, McGriff was a master stroek and really just spoke to the economics of the game and our place. We were going head to head with the Yankees and picked the bones of the Padres. KP was found an an Independent League team on recommendation by Greg Olson who also was a journeyman, at best. Braves and done. If I'm not mistaken KP was literally gotten for a small bit of cash and a couple cases of baseball bats. You could look it up.

Furthermore, Cox won a ton of games to get to the five WS he was in. The last one (1999) his team was riddled with injuries. Also, it was the Marlins and no tthe Rays who knocked us out in 97 and they were loaded. BC deserves some criticism, I suppose, but aside from 91 and 96 I think he lost to better teams. Some of the early exits in divisional and NLCS games were rough but I don't recall any collapse that compares to the one we just witnessed this Fall. Is he as good as Tony LaRussa? Probably not but Tony lost some WS where he was heavily favored and stacked as well. Who is better? Joe Torre? Tito Francona? I have to agree with Bobby's get to the post season and after that it is a crap shoot. The Braves had so much money tied up in the Big 3 they had to skimp elsewhere--like the bullpen. Did Mark Lemke and J. Blauser strike fear into anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ok Cox won one World Series, and many Championships...... Go talk with the Cubs, Pirates, Cinn, and they'll tell you 1960 was 50 years ago....Getting to the Series is where the action is.......(and that's just national league) but I'll stop because its not football. When you have a man on second and he can't score on a double (lonnie Smith) that's just not on the manager....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:31 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cyril wrote:
and my stance is when you get to the playoffs the Best Qb usually wins...Then again you need a great pass rush and we don't have it

I don't think that's true.

Cyril wrote:
Every game from here on in will be a playoff game for me......I mean the steaks are huge tomorrow.

Image :wink:

Cyril wrote:
I'm saying we're in the wildcard hunt right now; and folks should appreciate it....BnB and I have seen us mathematically out of the hunt by mid October; (and many of you have too,) so Count Your Blessings; and please don't decide what will happen until it happens!!

Superbowl or bust in a bad spot to be in when you have no control; as is every other hope..... I want that little extra too, but my experiences have shown me you can get to the Super Bowl if you get hot at the right time. Its like we're at a restaurant and are just prying the cooks and managers and servers are all on cue. I get it, but regardless if your young or old; it doesn't happen on our time table; and I'm just sharing how I get excited about it right now!!

Sorry Cyril, I'm just not wired that way. I can't simply turn off my brain and enjoy the ride.

My problem is that I can no longer sit idly by and accept mediocrity because I believe it's part of a long-term process that will get the team to where it wants to be. In 2009 and 2010, I was relatively content with the fact that the Falcons were probably not going to be the team left standing at the end, because I know it takes time to build championship-caliber teams and I thought this team was on the right path to doing that.

But I no longer think that, mainly because of the poor decisions IMO this team has made in the last 7 months that not only hurt them this year, but IMO will hurt them in future seasons as well. And now I look at this team and see a pattern of questionable decisions that if they continue to make will ALWAYS keep them from being that last team standing.

At the end of the 2010 season, I was thinking, "Man, this is only the beginning..." and now I'm thinking, "Man, it might not get any better than that, and that is truly a shame." I don't want to look back 5 years from now and be thinking that the 2010 team was the best team we had, like was the case 5 years after the 1998 season. And IMO, the main reason for that under Reeves because of poor personnel moves. I don't want to see the Falcons fall into that trap, and that's what I'm starting to see.

IMHO, the Falcons did it the right way from 2008-10 because they had a young, developing QB and built around a physical running game. But after the 2010, they should have made the move to build more around their QB, and they did not. They just kept doing what they were doing. Now, they could make that move after this season, and all would not be lost. But IMO, until they make that move (and trading 4 picks for a No. 2 WR is not that move), then we're always going to be talking about a team that is on the bubble that "doesn't seem Super Bowl bound."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I see very much where you are coming from in this, Pudge, and I too was not down with the JJ trade but, OTOH, I wasn't down with the Matt Ryan selection either. I think Curil's point is that you just have to enjoy the ride whether you liek the decisons or not. It's like being American internationally speaking. I deplore the military decisions we've made in the last ten years--esp Iraq--and think they have been corrosive on so many levels I can't begin to name them but I still pull for our troops to succeed in whatever the mission may be. Maybe "enjoy the ride" is not the operative expression in this scenario though. I know the explainations to the JJ selection say otherwise but I cannot help but feel the impatience came down from the very top. Maybe it was youthful insolence on TD's part but I think most owners run out of patience quicker than coaches. It was a borderline Ricky Williams deal. Very audacious and, frankly, so far has not panned out well due to injury. A case could be made that the crazy salary D. Robinson got was not all that different.

You know, I've compared the Falcons to the Giants in the past. They have conservative coaches who are a little old school with QBs who are knocking on the door of elite but just are not quite there but then I watch the dismantling of the Giants on MNF and see how well we hung with the Saints and realize that maybe our team is better constructed than theirs even though they have the killer pass rush and a SB title. I think the model for us was a five year plan in which we hoped to be competitve and in the mix every year and, hopefully, to snag a couple of titles. But we have been in the mix every year since the new regime arrived so perhaps the telescoping got a little amped up. OTOH, we have been blessed with great luck regarding significant injuries for the last three years or so which may have as much to do with it as anything.

All Cyril is saying is the old expression about changing what you can and accepting that which you can't and the wisdom to know the difference. It's just entertainment and though your obsession and deep delving research are probably pretty exceptional it's just a hobby and none of the guys at FB know any of us are even alive. I honestly wish Blank could meet you because I really wonder if there is anyone else out there who has done more staistical analysis for thsi team in the last 10-15 years who isn't laready on the payroll. Pay Pudge!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Image :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 pm 

I get that bnb, and by and large I can learn to accept a lot of moves. Generally speaking, I'm the one defending this team's draft picks, because as Cyril and yourself say, there is nothing I can do that really can influence their decision making besides maybe starting an "Occupy Arthur Blank's driveway" protest, and even that probably has a snowball's chance in hell of working.

But to me it's like when you walk into your house or apartment and smell something funky in the air, and realize that you didn't take out the trash the night before.

I know I criticize this team often because I think unlike the majority of NFL teams, this team is in a unique position that in the forseeable future (say the next 5 years), they have a very good chance to be one of those teams that can win a championship like say a Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Saints, etc. But they will only get there if they make good decisions.

I try not to do the, "My way is the right way, and everything else is wrong." There are many paths to the Super Bowl, and I try not to be rigid in my analysis, but I do think certain paths are significantly less desirable than others. And I know I've talked at length about how "running doesn't work anymore" but to me it's less about general football winning philosophies, and just simply about looking at the personnel of this team's current roster and also projecting some of what could occur in future off-seasons, and coming to an IMO correct conclusion that our current philosophy of playing 'Marty Ball' isn't going to get the most out of our personnel. If our QB was Cam Newton, and our WRs were Brandon LaFell and Legedu Naanee, and we had a young burgeoning pass rush and secondary, then maybe that style of play would be the best for us going forward. But instead we have Matt Ryan, 2 really dynamic receivers, a declining RB, and a pass defense that is probably only going to get worse until we use another 1st round pick on a good DL/DB.

And that to me is the "rotten" smell I'm getting a hint of. And it's impossible for me to sit back and say nothing and just "enjoy the ride" when every now and again the smell of garbage wafts into my nose. And I get that in particularly people that have been fans for 20, 30, 40, going on 50 years, can probably more easily sit back and enjoy/accept the good times, because they've seen so much bad in that time.

And I think TD & Smitty have done an excellent job of taking this team to a point where it is now good. But the gap between good and great isn't huge, and the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak is within sight, and it's frustrating to me when the Falcons brass squander that opportunity because they believe in antiquated conservative philosophies and/or misevaluate the talent on the roster, and much of that talent is what they themselves have acquired!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

^ - Right there with ya. The thing is, I believe that we have a team that is every bit as talented as any other team in the NFL right now. I believe that the difference between us and the Packers, or us and the Saints, is that we don't make good use of that talent.

If we have any obvious issues in terms of talent, it's the lack of depth at corner, and the lack of skill on the offensive line. There are few teams in the NFL that have great depth at all positions, and just about every team has an obvious deficiency or two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Point taken, Pudge. Keep having birthdays! :king:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:32 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I get that bnb, and by and large I can learn to accept a lot of moves. Generally speaking, I'm the one defending this team's draft picks, because as Cyril and yourself say, there is nothing I can do that really can influence their decision making besides maybe starting an "Occupy Arthur Blank's driveway" protest, and even that probably has a snowball's chance in hell of working!

Your too late. Arthur no longer has a driveway. Stephanie got it :wink: