It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Macon, GA
Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.

_________________
John O'


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5033
John O wrote:
Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.



Meh. Edwards is doing about what I expected..I never thought he would be an impact player, but I do agree we overpaid for him. That's on Hair Gel I'm afraid.

I disagree because I feel he is a slight upgrade from Biermann. Not much, but a little.

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26026
Location: North Carolina
Yeah, Edwards is about playing at the level I expected. He's improved the pass rush, but he hasn't "re-made" it like many were hoping when we signed him. He and Biermann are about equal in terms of their production this year when you account for pressures nad hits, but that doesn't seem so good when you factor in that Edwards has gotten about 50% more reps than Biermann has as a pass rusher. But Edwards IMO was always a band-aid, not a solution for the Falcons pass rush woes.

I think part of it is that the Falcons playing style on defense doesn't particularly bode well for generating a lot of sacks and pressure. They don't line up their ends in the wide techniques all that often, which was something Edwards did with regularity in Minnesota, and they never play press coverage which can be particularly effective when playing spread offenses that rely heavily on timing and receivers coming open quickly. Especially when you have two pretty solid press corners in Robinson and Hayden. It really bothers me when its 3rd & 5 or less, and the Falcons corners are 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:05 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4641
Edwards is so slow I don't see how he has any sacks? Even a tiny bit of pressure could have been the difference in the game.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Macon, GA
Sorry, but I can't agree that our pass rush has improved. What I see is a drop in sacks, QB hits/pressures even with more blitzes dialed up by Van Gorder. The loss of Babs for a couple of games hurt and his playing with a brace does not bode well for the rest ot the season. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. Abe is also having a bad year and I wonder if he is worth his salary this year.

_________________
John O'


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5033
[quote="John O"]. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. [quote]


I still think Edwards has a slight ( very slight ) edge over Biermann.. :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4903
Location: New York
What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

_________________
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:00 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Macon, GA
Emmitt wrote:
What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter. Lets look at last year and compare:

Bierman was ranked second on the team with seven quarter- back hits and tied for third with five tackles for loss. Tallied eight special teams tackles, while starting 15 games at defensive end.

I haven't seen Edwars on special teams this year and his stats don't compare. Comapre also the salry and cap hit difference and judge the return on investment.

Edwards sucks and DT made a big mistake and the team suffers because they have to play the money. With #55 also having a bad year the secondary suffers because of the lack of QB pressure and we hope for a wild card. Good Luck on that and with no valid draft choices in the near future lets look forward to FA next year.

_________________
John O'


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4303
I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5033
John O wrote:
Emmitt wrote:
What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter..


And the reason he is not a starter is because Edwards is slightly better. Not by alot, but just a little bit.

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3178
RobertAP wrote:
I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?


We are pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball....for better or worse.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: