No Prerssure

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

User avatar
John O
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Macon, GA

No Prerssure

Postby John O » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am

Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.
John O'

User avatar
fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Re: No Prerssure

Postby fun gus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 am

John O wrote:Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.



Meh. Edwards is doing about what I expected..I never thought he would be an impact player, but I do agree we overpaid for him. That's on Hair Gel I'm afraid.

I disagree because I feel he is a slight upgrade from Biermann. Not much, but a little.
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26396
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: No Prerssure

Postby Pudge » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Yeah, Edwards is about playing at the level I expected. He's improved the pass rush, but he hasn't "re-made" it like many were hoping when we signed him. He and Biermann are about equal in terms of their production this year when you account for pressures nad hits, but that doesn't seem so good when you factor in that Edwards has gotten about 50% more reps than Biermann has as a pass rusher. But Edwards IMO was always a band-aid, not a solution for the Falcons pass rush woes.

I think part of it is that the Falcons playing style on defense doesn't particularly bode well for generating a lot of sacks and pressure. They don't line up their ends in the wide techniques all that often, which was something Edwards did with regularity in Minnesota, and they never play press coverage which can be particularly effective when playing spread offenses that rely heavily on timing and receivers coming open quickly. Especially when you have two pretty solid press corners in Robinson and Hayden. It really bothers me when its 3rd & 5 or less, and the Falcons corners are 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Cyril
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4908
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: No Prerssure

Postby Cyril » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am

Edwards is so slow I don't see how he has any sacks? Even a tiny bit of pressure could have been the difference in the game.
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image

User avatar
John O
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Macon, GA

Re: No Prerssure

Postby John O » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 am

Sorry, but I can't agree that our pass rush has improved. What I see is a drop in sacks, QB hits/pressures even with more blitzes dialed up by Van Gorder. The loss of Babs for a couple of games hurt and his playing with a brace does not bode well for the rest ot the season. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. Abe is also having a bad year and I wonder if he is worth his salary this year.
John O'

User avatar
fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Re: No Prerssure

Postby fun gus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

[quote="John O"]. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. [quote]


I still think Edwards has a slight ( very slight ) edge over Biermann.. :ninja:
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

User avatar
Emmitt
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: No Prerssure

Postby Emmitt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:33 pm

What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

User avatar
John O
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Macon, GA

Re: No Prerssure

Postby John O » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Emmitt wrote:What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter. Lets look at last year and compare:

Bierman was ranked second on the team with seven quarter- back hits and tied for third with five tackles for loss. Tallied eight special teams tackles, while starting 15 games at defensive end.

I haven't seen Edwars on special teams this year and his stats don't compare. Comapre also the salry and cap hit difference and judge the return on investment.

Edwards sucks and DT made a big mistake and the team suffers because they have to play the money. With #55 also having a bad year the secondary suffers because of the lack of QB pressure and we hope for a wild card. Good Luck on that and with no valid draft choices in the near future lets look forward to FA next year.
John O'

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 4502
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: No Prerssure

Postby RobertAP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 am

I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?

User avatar
fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Re: No Prerssure

Postby fun gus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

John O wrote:
Emmitt wrote:What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter..


And the reason he is not a starter is because Edwards is slightly better. Not by alot, but just a little bit.
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:31 pm

Re: No Prerssure

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 am

RobertAP wrote:I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?


We are pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball....for better or worse.


Return to “The Huddle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest