It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: No Prerssure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

John O wrote:
Here is one big reason for our poor showing this year. Not enough pressure on the opposing QB.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falco ... 27511.html

Edwards has not been an upgrade over Bierman and has certainly not earned the salary in his contract. Without pressure even a good secondary will get burned.

Meh. Edwards is doing about what I expected..I never thought he would be an impact player, but I do agree we overpaid for him. That's on Hair Gel I'm afraid.

I disagree because I feel he is a slight upgrade from Biermann. Not much, but a little.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, Edwards is about playing at the level I expected. He's improved the pass rush, but he hasn't "re-made" it like many were hoping when we signed him. He and Biermann are about equal in terms of their production this year when you account for pressures nad hits, but that doesn't seem so good when you factor in that Edwards has gotten about 50% more reps than Biermann has as a pass rusher. But Edwards IMO was always a band-aid, not a solution for the Falcons pass rush woes.

I think part of it is that the Falcons playing style on defense doesn't particularly bode well for generating a lot of sacks and pressure. They don't line up their ends in the wide techniques all that often, which was something Edwards did with regularity in Minnesota, and they never play press coverage which can be particularly effective when playing spread offenses that rely heavily on timing and receivers coming open quickly. Especially when you have two pretty solid press corners in Robinson and Hayden. It really bothers me when its 3rd & 5 or less, and the Falcons corners are 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Edwards is so slow I don't see how he has any sacks? Even a tiny bit of pressure could have been the difference in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sorry, but I can't agree that our pass rush has improved. What I see is a drop in sacks, QB hits/pressures even with more blitzes dialed up by Van Gorder. The loss of Babs for a couple of games hurt and his playing with a brace does not bode well for the rest ot the season. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. Abe is also having a bad year and I wonder if he is worth his salary this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quote="John O"]. IMHO Edwards sucks and Bierman has more moves and speed. [quote]

I still think Edwards has a slight ( very slight ) edge over Biermann.. :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
What has Biermann done this year to justify he's better than Ray-Ray. The past two seasons Atlanta has bombed with their pick ups if your looking at money wise. Tommy has lost his magic after striking gold with Turner (I think it's fair to say he's been awesome, right Pudge?) and Gonzalez (MVP-MVP for the Falcons that is).

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter. Lets look at last year and compare:

Bierman was ranked second on the team with seven quarter- back hits and tied for third with five tackles for loss. Tallied eight special teams tackles, while starting 15 games at defensive end.

I haven't seen Edwars on special teams this year and his stats don't compare. Comapre also the salry and cap hit difference and judge the return on investment.

Edwards sucks and DT made a big mistake and the team suffers because they have to play the money. With #55 also having a bad year the secondary suffers because of the lack of QB pressure and we hope for a wild card. Good Luck on that and with no valid draft choices in the near future lets look forward to FA next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

John O wrote:
Emmitt wrote:

You can't judge Bierman on this year's stats becausee he is not a starter..

And the reason he is not a starter is because Edwards is slightly better. Not by alot, but just a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I'm wondering if our pass rush woes are due to scheme. I know for a fact that our blitz packages suck. Perhaps our regular line packages suck too?

We are pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball....for better or worse.