It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Spoon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Guy looks like a first ballot hall of famer in the 1st quarter. Do teams start calling plays to avoid him as the game goes on, do we alter his responsibilities, does he wear down, or what?

In the our two games this year, he has like 3 or 4 TFL in the 1st quarter... After the 1st quarter, he seems to disappear or only be involved away from the LoS.

Post subject: Re: Question about Spoon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't know how much of your "gushing" over Spoon is hyperbole, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves calling him "great" last week and "future HOFer" this week just because he makes a few stops behind the line of scrimmage. Seriously, someone get a mop. :wink:

What we're seeing from Spoon I think is exactly what we're supposed to be seeing. 2-3 positive impact plays is about what you should expect from a quality 4-3 OLB, regardless of whether they occur on the first 2 series of the game or the last 2.

As for why his play drops off as the game wheres on, if I had to gander a guess it would be because early in games, teams are trying to run the ball, and that remains the strength of his game, using his speed and range to defend the run. As the game wears on, it becomes more about passing the ball most weeks, and he still tends to get exposed there because his awareness is fairly average.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Question about Spoon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Spoon makes too many mental mistakes!!

I considered last week's non tackle where he thought he could bounce the guy down.....(some may call this a physically mistake.... )
but I considered he just lost his concentration and thought he could knock him down without wrapping up....

Last night the guy who ran down Edwards literally passed Spoon when all Spoon had to do was get in front off him; but Spoon let him just pass him bye. It was loafing at his
worst (you can see it easy on tape) and it could of cost us the game.....

I like Spoon and I just consider he's still learning..... More than once Coach Smith went to the Sidelines to show him a photo; and keep him focused. I agree he's playing very good ball; and I also agree he should just keep getting better.... Their's a lot of other players that I
wish would catch Spoon's enthusiasm.....!!