It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Really Dan Really..Get Out.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://aroundtheleague.nfl.com/2011/09/ ... line_stack

The rise, fall and stunning return of Michael Vick is well-documented — and he’s owned up to his shortcomings — but the ex-Falcons coach who drafted him, Dan Reeves, believes Atlanta’s franchise ultimately betrayed the quarterback.
“When Mike really needed them they turned their back on him in my opinion,” Reeves told PhillySportsDaily.com. “They could have been a big supporter and they let him go. I think it could have been handled differently.”
Reeves believed enough in Vick’s talents to engineer a draft-day trade with the Chargers to select the Virgina Tech QB No. 1 overall in 2001. Just like team owner Arther Blank, Reeves felt burned when Vick’s off-the-field transgressions led to an 18-month stay in federal prison on dogfighting charges. The Falcons moved on during Vick’s big-house odyssey — and it’s hard to blame them — but Reeves believes more could have been done to soften the transition.
“I wasn’t there, so I don’t know the organization’s standpoint, but I thought they could have been more supportive and instead they severed ties with him.”
Now Vick, the unquestioned leader of the Eagles — armed with a six-year, $100 million commitment from Philly — faces the Falcons on Sunday. It doesn’t ring true to label the game some sort of a revenge tilt for a jilted Vick — not even close. If we believe that Vick has truly experienced some sort of core transformation, Atlanta’s hard-line decision to let him go played a role in shaping the spectacle of his comeback.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Really Dan Really..Get Out.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I like, and have a lot of respect for Dan as a decent person. As a football coach, I yearned for his demise. Dan should let it go abour Vick and the Falcons treatment of him Then. That was then, this is NOW and Vick is a different individual and the Falcons are a different team.. I'm glad he is sucessful but I believe the Falcons were absolutely correct to ditch him and his posse. He has learned from his mistakes and from what I've heard, he is a model that youth can now look up to both on the field and his personal life.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Reeves has made the same basic comments about Vick once or twice a year since 2007. I've tuned him out by now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's kind of like the Reeves/Elway drama. Every time they played each other, journalists looking for fodder to meet a deadline brought it up. Otherwise, it's neither here nor there at this point. FWIW, Dan has always been more gracious towards Mike than vice versa.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

This is yet another reason why Dan failed miserably as "GM"...