It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Julio Jones question...on type of player he is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

For years, I've been clamoring for a 2 receiver who, when covered, will use body control, shield, and go up and get the ball. Plaxico Burress is the easiest example of this, but Muhsin Muhammad, Larry Fitz (even though he's a 1), etc. fit the bill.

My question is, is that the way Julio plays? I didn't see a lot of him in college, and haven't been able to tell in preseason. I can tell that he has good speed and burst. I can tell that he can be very effective in YAC and on reverses. That's all pleasing. That also can be had with small, quick receivers.

So, my question is, can he be a great fade receiver? Can he be a guy who, when he's in single coverage, he's "open" because if you throw it to him, he'll adjust, high point and fight for the ball? If he is, I think he'll be a force, I just haven't seen it yet and wanted to ask those who've seen more of him. I know he's not going to have the reach of Plaxico, or the body control or hands of Fitz, but can he be that type? I know no one knows for sure, but you guys who saw him a ton in college likely know if he's that kind of guy or more a YAC guy.

Just curious. I hope the kid can use his size well...that would make him a matchup nightmare. We need him to be a jumpball winner.

Post subject: Re: Julio Jones question...on type of player he is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:13 am 
Superstar
Superstar

From what I have seen, he can be that kind of guy. I remember a few clips of him winning, "jump balls," in college. I think that the way to look at Julio is as a "complete," receiver. I don't think that there's much that he can't do. His biggest knock is that he doesn't have the best hands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The receiver that Julio compares to most favorably is Andre Johnson. And Johnson is that type of player. He's not A.J. Green in the body control department, but he's very good in that area.

So to answer your question, yes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Thanks for the answers, guys. If he becomes 80% of Andre, that'll be great.

I've been impressed with his burst (better than I expected) in the pre, but he hasn't done a great job of tracking the ball and adjusting. I didn't want to make judgements based on preseason when he's probably not even used to the offense, but really hope he's a guy who, when guarded by a 5'10 DB, you can just throw a 20 yard go route short, and let him comeback and sky it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 pm 

I think it's the mental part of the game where Julio will be weakest at least as a rookie. So he'll have lapses in concentration, he won't read coverages as well, and there will be miscommunications between him and Ryan. But if the Falcons put him in situations where he can more or less rely on his physical gifts, he's going to be good for us.

He's not going to be Andre right away. I would say he's probably only 50% Andre this year. Andre himself was probably only half the player he is today as a rookie. But he has that sort of potential...if the Falcons embrace it and play their cards right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah, I certainly don't expect the 80% Andre rookie year...that would be ridiculous.

It was partially a question regarding what he can do this year. If a receiver is good with the body control/shielding/go up for the ball type plays...those translate fairly well even rookie year. They don't rely on timing or precise route running, and let the receiver use his natural gifts.

Whereas, if they're technicians, it usually takes a bit to get on the same page as the QB and adjust to better DB play.

I didn't want the trade, but I'm excited. I just got so tired of the stiffness of MJ, that I really want to see some "help your QB" adjust and go get the ball plays.

Throw in a seam stretching TE, a featureback who can catch, and a 4th WR who's legit and that should be a very hard to stop offense. The good thing is all 3 of those players are cheap/easy to come by.