It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schaub's debut not so glamourous
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Saints really controlled this game from the get go. Not a whole lot of positives for this game.

The Good

The defense did a pretty good job making plays when we needed them. Late in the game, they did a good job getting the offense the ball back by putting clamps on the Saints offense.

The Bad

Schaub struggled throughout the game, making poor decisions, and inaccurate throws. He made what seemed like a lot of rookie mistakes, his interceptions, the safety. He and the offense never got into a rhythm the entire game. The offensive line didn't do a good job opening holes for Dunn, who basically only had a few good runs. The Saints lines controlled both lines of scrimmage. The secondary gave up too many. Where is the coverage? People were making bad breaks on the ball or just losing their man outright. Our receivers dropped a lot of passes, which also hurt Schaub's performance. Special teams allowed a rare return TD which firmly put the momentum in the Saints favor.

The Ugly

The hit that the umpire suffered where he was crushed by about 5 Saints and a couple of Falcons. That was a nasty gash on his head.

I think taking this game in stride, it was Schaub's first start, and it looked like it. There were a few instances where Schaub looked sharp, but they were few and far between. But I think next week (assuming he starts), he will be better prepared. If he can make better decisions, since he threw far too much in double and triple coverage, and didn't put the ball in the best place to catch the ball a lot, but if he can cut down on those things, then I think we can beat the Seahawks next week. But the offensive line will have to do a better job blocking up front, since it will be mostly up to Dunn and t he running game to get the job done. I also think the defense has gotten progressively weaker as the season has wore on. The run defense and pass defense look more porous and are doing more breaking than bending, IMO. They still are getting things done, and getting turnovers, but our offense needs to do a better job capitalizing on these breaks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:38 pm 
Former FRN Affiliate
Former FRN Affiliate

Good game Pudge. We really needed this one more than you guys! Now, hopefully, we can take it to Carolina next week!

Post subject: Receivers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:27 pm 
Time to beat a dead horse..... How much worse can a receiver be than Price? Can any less effort be made? I don't see it getting much better right now since his cap hit would be huge. Looking at the draft there are really only a handful of receivers that look like they could be potential #1's. Problem is we will likely get pick 25-32 somewhere in the 1st and we also need an upgrade on the offensive line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:49 pm 

I'm with you Yulin. We are stuck with Price for another year. Our really only hopes for the WR rest on the hopeful possibility that a good WR drops a round or so this April, or just that our recevers and QB will be more comfortable in the offense next year so that they can play a little better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i have never liked price he is a number 2 at best but he was the best at the time
white has done well
and i think jenkins is up and coming and more of a deep threat than price

as for sunday i was a little surprised that Schaub did not move the ball like he did in preseason but i still feel better with him than
Johnson

Profile E-mail