It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Should the Falcons Have Punted?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:23 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Again, it is semantics, I think. "No brainer," "threw" the game...just hyperbole.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

And again, I'll say it's not just semantics. IMO, it was a no brainer. Meaning that it was an obvious and easy call to go for it. The "conventional wisdom" might have suggested otherwise, but as we continue to find out week after week and year after year, often times the conventional wisdom is just plain wrong.

Slowly, yet surely teams are starting to realize that punting the ball and playing the field position game is often times for suckers. And late in the 4th quarter, with the league's top clutch performer, down 3 points, and with the league's best team converting on 4th down, it shouldn't have required that much intelligence to figure it out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The "conventional wisdom"-------The very fact that conventional wisdom says punt takes away a no-brainer.....

Maybe we have our definition of " no brainer " wrong. If a guy sticks a gun in my ribs and says give me your money that's
a no brainer........ If a two people approach me and I don't see any weapons, and they ask for my money the "conventional wisdom" would perhaps be hand your money over....., but I probably wouldn't they'd have to take it.......

If I'm shot and killed people would say that giving your money to thugs on the street was a "no brainer" but
when you have a choice where the outcome isn't obvious then it stops being a no brainer to me.....

My instinct said go for it, but "no brainer" suggested everyone would have done what Smith didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:doh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:45 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
And again, I'll say it's not just semantics. IMO, it was a no brainer. Meaning that it was an obvious and easy call to go for it. The "conventional wisdom" might have suggested otherwise, but as we continue to find out week after week and year after year, often times the conventional wisdom is just plain wrong.

Slowly, yet surely teams are starting to realize that punting the ball and playing the field position game is often times for suckers. And late in the 4th quarter, with the league's top clutch performer, down 3 points, and with the league's best team converting on 4th down, it shouldn't have required that much intelligence to figure it out.

So....you hate the Jews!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 am 

No, I don't think we have differing opinions about what a "no brainer" is.

In your example, giving up the goods is the no brainer. You don't have to choose to do that, but most people without thinking are going to give up the goods just to be on the safe side. It's just money, and are you willing to bet your life on it?

Now if you don't think they have guns or know Jeet Kune Do, then maybe you don't do that. But that probably requires a bit of thinking to measure your situation and then calculate the odds. But even so, you've changed variables with 2 possibly unarmed defedners, which can certainly change whether it's a no brainer or not.

In our case, Smitty's gut reaction shoudl have been, let's try and win this game right here and right now. And once he began to actually think about it, he should have also figured it out. He should have just had a feel for the thing. But if you had changed any of the variables, made it 4th & 11 or added 38 seconds to the clock, or changed the field position, perhaps the conventional wisdom would have been the right call.

Cyril wrote:
-The very fact that conventional wisdom says punt takes away a no-brainer.....

Not particularly. You have to factor in that much of this conventional wisdom was developed in the 60s and 70s when the game was a lot different. Playing prevent defense is conventional wisdom, and most would say not playing the prevent is a no brainer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well he must have got the message and gone for it twice on forth down....He must have called the wrongs plays because we didn't ,make either....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 pm 

Apparently, Smitty only goes for it on 4th if it's only 1 or 2 yards to get to the sticks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Apparently, Smitty only goes for it on 4th if it's only 1 or 2 yards to get to the sticks.

or your playing against Clausen :mrgreen: