It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New cap info posted!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You can find cap info sheets for 2004 and 2005 posted on the site now.

According to Chad AKA Capologist's number-crunching, the Falcons currently stand about $11 million over next year's cap. As you can see, almost all of that is because of Vick's massive contract.

Chad, will that number be reduced? Or are we serisouly going to have to live with a $25.6 million cap hit this year? I thought that because Vick's bonus was to be paid on March 1, before the league year began, it would be prorated over several years of the contract?...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Weiner and Hall cap numbers are killing us
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:16 pm 

Now that I see the cap numbers I expect hall to be cust or brought back at a much reduced salary and Weiner making over 4,000,000 I would go with a draft pick or find another tackle at a reduced salary.Weiner is not that good of a player for the money he is being paid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm 

I wouldn't cut Weiner, because it would leave a huge hole at RT. I'd restructure and then hopes that he rebounds with a solid 2005 season. Cutting him now would not be productive, and even if we managed to sign someone like Ryan Diem, I don't think it would be an immediate upgrade.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Your probably right I wish we had more talent
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:21 am 

Man,I know reeve's brought in some talent but if he could of made wiser decisions instead paying for overpriced players the falcon's would be in better shape today.Cory Hall,Weiner,drafting of Duckett over Javon Walker,some of the contracts we are still paying today just hurts a team so much.Will just have to pick up the pieces which puts more pressure on Mckay to draft well.If we can't reduce Weiner's contract we are stuck with him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:37 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Check your email Pudge! Slight correction. (Okay, it's a $4 million correction)...

Here's some things that MAY happen:

. Convert Vick's roster bonus to a signing bonus. Gains $18.75 million in room and puts us $3.45 million under the cap.

2. Cut Travis Hall. Gains $4 million in room and puts us at $7.45 million under the cap.

3. More than likely, Kerney's deal is going to void after 2006. Negotiate an extension that frees up room, that could put us $10 million under the cap.

4. Ed Jasper retires. Assuming done before free agency starts, saves $1.5 million and would get us to $11.5 million under.

That's what I'd shoot for this season.

The thing we have to get better at is avoiding dead money. We had $9 million last year and will have around the same amount this year before the season even starts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:26 pm 

It's been updated again.

With the issue of dead money, I think it's going to be a problem for the next few years, as McKay works to weed out the "Reeves" players and bring in his own guys. A lot of guys like Price, Weiner, Dunn, etc. we will probably have to absorb some dead money in the near future (probably next off-season).

Does anybody else think that the Falcons should start extension talks with Dunn? He's signed thru 2007, and he'll be 32 then. But from his play this year, it looks like he can have another 3-5 productive years if the team doesn't overuse him. Sure, he had a career high in carries this year (265), but I think you'll see Duckett take a big chunk of that in 2005.

Maybe the team can reduce Dunn's base salaries this year and next year, and then probably use the saved money as a roster bonus or the basis of his base salaries with a few more years added on to the backend of the contract (two more years?)...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Interesting question about Dunn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:48 pm 

Dunn played well this year although his yrds per carry were not great he is the blue collar worker you need,carries alot and gains yards.Since this draft is strong at running back I may draft a running back in the 3rd or 4th to be the heir to Dunn meaning Dunn will be gone either because his contract is to high or his contract is up.Restructuring may be a possibility but not to add years to Dunn's contract would have to come up after his contract is played out.Duckett the jury is still out either he gets significant more playing time or he will be a free agent after next year.The Falcon's would be wise to look at runing back and there can be a few available that can start soon.I don't know if Kay Jay Harris would be around,I kind of think in Knapp's offense they look for a versatile guy who has more speed(Roger Graig type,Ricky Waters).The running back should be a good all around back being able to block,run and pass catch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:42 pm 

I figure the team has 3 options with Dunn's contract:

1. Cut him. Well that only becomes an option if the Falcons feel they are in a good position to sign a quality free agent or draft someone, and they think that Duckett is ready to step up and be the lead guy. I'm not exactly sure of the cap ramifications, but I think at best we will save about $1 million in cap space.

2. Restructure. A simple restructure, meaning that the Falcons only change the salaries for 2005 and leave 2006 and 2007 on the books as is. I think this is a smart move, but it has the drawbacks of adding $$$ to future years (thus making the problem the same but worse next season), and also Dunn may be less apt to taking this route. Why? Because Dunn and his agent are basically aware that he would be playing under a virtual 1-year contract and the team is only doing this so that they can cut him next year.

3. Extension. Adding future years to the contract will probably be something that Dunn is more willing to do because it shows the team's commitment that it wants him around for longer than 1 year, and also gives you more room to maneuver. You don't just have to deal with 2005, but you can deal with 2006 and 2007 salaries as well.

Although the RB class is pretty strong in both FA and the draft, I'm not sure if there really are a lot of players out there that fit what the Falcons want to do. If the Falcons want a guy to team with Duckett, I think this is what they are looking for:

1. Homerun speed. Duckett is not a guy that is going to break many 20+ yard runs. We need someone that can.

2. Passing threat. A guy that can be a reliable target in the passing game. Although seemingly Justin Griffith has moved ahead of Dunn as the #1 target, we still need a guy that is capable of catching 30-50 balls per year.

3. Blocking. Duckett is still lacking in pass protection, and Dunn despite his lack of size is much more smarter and precise on blitz pickup. We basically need a guy to play on 3rd downs that won't leave Vick out to dry.

Very few rookies are good blockers, and oddly many of the backs in this year's draft class aren't very good receivers either. As for free agents, many of them don't have the speed and quickness that Dunn has.

I really think the best player for the job is Dunn, and we're in a position to keep him. I agree that the team should probably try and add a rookie in the middle of the draft for future considerations, but losing Dunn makes RB a bigger priority than it already is, and as I think I've said before, the Falcons won't do themselves any favors by making any positions priorities before the draft. You want to build thru the draft, not replace.

I really think Dunn can have 2 or 3 more productive years in Atlanta, and I think the team would help itself by showing some commitment to him by adding a few years to his contract and at the same time reducing his salaries in 2005 and 2006, if not more years.

It's the same issue I have with Price and Weiner. I'd rather have someone brought in and outplay Dunn, than simply just getting rid of him and hoping for the best.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:30 am 

Just as an update, you can now find cap info for upcoming seasons: 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Sent the cap savings info to you today Pudge!