It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Other DE possibilities...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Say the right DE is not there at #27 and the Falcons have to address a need at another position. When Round 2 rolls around, should the Falcons be talking with the Jets in a possible trade for Bryan Thomas? Thomas struggled for the first few years of his career, but came on this year when he subbed for Abraham.

He's a quicker smaller end. I don't think he's the type that is going to be a double-digit sack guy, but I think if used properly he could be just as productive if not more than Brady Smith has been for us.

Should the Falcons be parting ways with a #2 or #3 to get him? Do you think this is a more viable option than taking what most consider to be a large dropoff in talent at DE after Round 1?

What about Calvin Pace of Arizona or Michael Haynes of Chicago? Both of their teams I'm sure will be open to trade talks on draft day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I would take Haynes but only
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:30 am 

Looking at Haynes sack totals they have only been 2 sacks a year for 2 years.I am wondering why he isn't getting his sacks? I know chicago lost there def tackles but got Tommie Harris this year.Alex Barron is playing well why can't Haynes? I would find out why and if the falcon's saw something they could correct Haynes was highly touted coming out of penn state and I would offer a number 2 pick.Since Haynes stock has come down I would think the Bear's would listen to offers and I remember duckett the falcon's drafted him round 1 and now I wonder if you could even get a no2 pick for him?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I would take Haynes but only
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:43 am 
Role Player
Role Player

thescout wrote:
Looking at Haynes sack totals they have only been 2 sacks a year for 2 years.I am wondering why he isn't getting his sacks?

He's not getting them because he's not getting reps. Brown has started to come on as I understand and they traded for OGun. If he were to be a cap cut I wouldn't mind persuing him, but I think trading for him would be a waste. Call me biased, but I don't trust Penn State players when it comes to performing in the NFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:28 pm 

LO, you have a point. Haynes is only on the trading block because of his underachieving. He's stuck behind Brown and Ogun, and unlikely to overtake them. But I think Haynes has loads of potential, and I'd be willing to make a risk for him considering his low cap figures (relative to top DE free agents).

I just think it's something to think about if we don't get our DE in Round 1. The dropoff in talent from Round 1 to the latter rounds is pretty significant in my opinion at that position, and it might be a smarter move to use our #2 pick on a veteran player than it would be on a draft pick, esp. if a guy like Tuck and even Swancutt are already gone. Since both of those guys are probably a few years away from being starting material, Haynes might be there already, he just needs to find the righ team, and seemingly Chicago is not it.

Profile E-mail