It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jack Tatum dies at 61
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 1:46 PM ET
Notorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a quadraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years. He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety's autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin. For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum's substance, and his style. (And please wait to see Tatum's hit on Earl Campbell. Then stick around to see whether Sammie White's head was in his helmet while it was rolling around on the field.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State presents during the season a "Jack Tatum Hit of the Week" award.

Adored by Raiders fans and generally despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s. There hasn't been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jack Tatum dies at 61
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 am 

I saw that BB I have mixed feelings. As a ballplayer he gave some dirty hits but legal. A very intimidating presence in the Raider defense. The man I can't say I liked the guy but he did have his own health battles.I don't believe he gave any remorse for the injury to Stingley. It's part of the game but still could have handled it better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
As a ballplayer he gave some dirty hits but legal.

No Scout, he just played in a different era. He hit hard and played hard. If it's within the rules, it isn't dirty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:10 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

No Scout, he just played in a different era. He hit hard and played hard. If it's within the rules, it isn't dirty.

Others would have a different opinion AngryJohnny51. Cladue Humprey used to use the head slap and literally busted someone's ear drum. It was within the rules but they outlawed the headslap I think because of issues like that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

Others would have a different opinion AngryJohnny51. Cladue Humprey used to use the head slap and literally busted someone's ear drum. It was within the rules but they outlawed the headslap I think because of issues like that.

I get what you're saying. All I'm saying is as with Claude, at the time of their football employment, it was within the rules. Can't fault a player for the era he played in.