It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick @ Crossroads
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Thank you NinersLacking! As ya'll know, I'm very suspicious of the sports medium based in the Northeast. Their agenda is to promote their region's teams and look down their noses at some teams located elsewhere in the country. This has been goin' on for many years, but!,...there's always a diamond in the rough. Please enjoy this excellent article written by one of the premier sports writers in the biz. Here's a few teasers(paragraphs) for ya.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ure/index.html

The best gauge, of course, is Vic(k)tories. The Falcons are 33-22-1 when Vick starts and 9-19 when he doesn't. Moreover, they're 26-16 (61.9 percent) when he throws for fewer than 200 yards and 7-6-1 (53.8 percent) when he passes for more than 200 yards.

Vick was dismayed when Mike Johnson was essentially dismissed as quarterbacks coach in late January. But Vick will appreciate the move after he gets a chance to work with Bill Musgrave, who was the Redskins' quarterbacks coach last season. When I interviewed quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey last spring for a profile on Musgrave, they raved about how he made an immediate impact by stressing fundamentals in footwork, reading defenses and timing. Ramsey added that Musgrave, who helped modernize Joe Gibbs' ball-control offense in his brief stint, had a knack for making complicated principles easy to understand.

"Michael Vick can make throws that Joe Montana and Steve Young could never dream of making," Musgrave told me the other day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the year Vick breaks out as a triple threat,...yep, passing, running and being the leader(winner), he has become. The Falcons are Vick's team, to that there is no arguement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Great read, I'm hoping Musgrave can help Vick become the player he can be. The things Ramsey & Brunell pointed out were exactly what we want to see Michael improve on. To me the biggest issue is footwork & timing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yep, footwork, timing and a complete overall understanding of our offensive philosophy. Musgrave certainly seems like he's knows what he wants to accomplish with Vick. Only thing I wonder about is why Musgrave's bounced around so much if hes so good.

Off the top of my head... UVA OCoord, Jax QB/OCoord, Skins QB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:28 pm 

Sounds good to me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:06 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

widetrak21 wrote:
Yep, footwork, timing and a complete overall understanding of our offensive philosophy. Musgrave certainly seems like he's knows what he wants to accomplish with Vick. Only thing I wonder about is why Musgrave's bounced around so much if hes so good.

Off the top of my head... UVA OCoord, Jax QB/OCoord, Skins QB

I'm thinking once the teams were done with him since he got them to where they wanted to be they got rid of him. LOL

JOIN THE MESSAGE BOARDS WITH "BLESS" AS YOUR REFERRER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:24 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Part of it is most likely the idea of better opportunity. I do think Musgrave is a great hire for us and will help Vick accomplish a lot of the things that fans are expecting. Now if we could just get some o-linemen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:28 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Musgrave knows that taking a great talent and helping to mold him into a great QB can put him at the top of the NFL Head Coaches to be list, a la Shannahan.

And I also hope we can get some real linemen, especially on the left side & in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:17 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's hard to tell why Musgrave has bounced around so much. He's never been anywhere longer than 2 years since becoming a head coach. So I guess we'll be able to shed some light on this issue in 2008.

I know the reason he was "run out" of Jacksonville was because Leftwich's progress was not where the team wanted it at the end of 2004. His reason for leaving UVA after 2 years seems rather obvious, since taking over the Jags OC job was a major promotion from the college level. He only lasted 4 games as OC in Carolina in '00. http://test.gazettearchives.com/panther ... 000280.htm

As for his leaving Washington, that's not a big deal to me. Joe Gibbs seems to be collecting coaches. I mean he had like 7 guys on that coaching staff last year that have been a pro coordinator at one point in their careers. He has simply substituted Musgrave for Al Saunders. We should note that Saunders was hired by the Redskins basically a week before Musgrave was hired here (or at least when the announcements were first made), meaning Musgrave left Washington after 1 year because the Redskins "upgraded."

His 1 year stints in Oakland (1997) and Philly (1998) are probably due to the fact that each of those teams made a coaching staff change the following year (in with Gruden and Reid, out with Bugel and Rhodes).

So it's easy to "explain away" his short stints at each stop. We'll see how long he lasts in Atlanta.

Profile E-mail