It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question about if schaub is not traded
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

here's a question i got for you guys regarding schaub. it seems as if given the chance to get a middle tier first rounder (or maybe even a high 2nd) for schaub most on this board would jump on it and it does seem the logical thing to do, considering schuab's contract, the strength of this draft and the immediate needs the falcons have. i'm thinking the brass will probably make such a move, but what if they don't, what then? make a trade at the end of nextseason? let him walk? give him a new deal? what do you guys think, because there is the chance we don't trade him. i'm pretty damn curious to see how he's dealt with and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

If we don't trade Schaub this offseason (and I don't believe we will unless we get a mid-first rounder for him) then he would become a restricted free agent.

I would fully expect McKay to put the highest tender offer on him which would mean any team signing him would compensate us with a first and third round pick.

I believe at that point McKay would pursue trades to lower that to a first. Some would ask why a team would trade knowing he'd be a free agent after the 2007 season? The answer is simple: If he hits the open market, there would be competition. Competition in any market drives the price up. Minimizing costs is well worth a single draft pick especially in the salary cap game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cap nailed it. The only kink in that path is if the CBA is not extended. If there is no CBA in place by the start of the next offseason (c. March 1, 2007), then only players with 6 or more years of accrued experience will be unrestricted free agents. Everyone else will be restricted. Yes, Schaub will still be a RFA, but it may dramatically change how the market is because the possibility of some 4th/5th year QBs that would have been UFAs after '06 (with a CBA in place), will be RFAs, and it may change the notion of competition among free agents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:25 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd almost bet on the CBA getting extended but your scenario is 100% correct Pudge!