PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:21 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/freeAgency.jsp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

JODY (Bethlehem,Ga): If you were the falcons gm who would you choose and what kind of moves would you make and why?

Mel Kiper: I think the Falcons have a key need at CB or safety. You need a guy with the versatility. Michael Huff has that. If they have to move up to get him, that's not a bad move. Then Jimmy Williams is also in there. OT is another area. Justice might fill in there. DE. Tamba Hali. Their needs are CB/S, OT, DE, WR.

- I personally can't see why we'd trade up for Huff, when Jimmy would be available. He certainly acts like we're going CB/S more than D/Oline. Maybe we'll hit one of those two in F.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd be shocked if we didn't take Jimmy Williams if he was there....that's just me though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I can't find the article I read but there are rumors flying around that the Falcon's first rounder WILL be Williams CB/S from Va. Tech if he is available. Safety is his natural position and would make a great addition to our defensive backfield. Add a hard hitting run stuffer at the other safety position and we are in business (at least better off than with Carpenter and Hall roaming around back there). Don't get me wrong, I dont think that we are set with just the 2 safeties. It would be nice to get another corner to take some pressure of Deangelo and maybe get another DE and DT to go in the mix.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

With head coach Jim Mora entering his second season and the organization making quality offseason acquisitions, this team was expected to take a step forward in 2005. Instead, Atlanta struggled down the stretch and was one of the most disappointing teams in the league. The good news is the Falcons aren't far from being legitimate Super Bowl contenders. However, one area that must be addressed for Atlanta to return to the playoffs is a run defense that was one of the worst in the league last year. Expect the team to make some changes up front. The Falcons need to add some size in the front four and, more important, must get more physical at the point of attack. Atlanta's priority on offense is adding another big-play weapon for QB Michael Vick.

Defensive end: Brady Smith missed 11 games with a toe injury last season and will be 33 next season, so he is on the downside of his career. Making matters worse is the lack of an heir apparent on the roster, as the reserves struggled when Smith wasn't in the lineup. Even with Smith starting opposite Patrick Kerney, the Falcons don't have a run-stuffing defensive end capable of consistently holding his ground at the point of attack.

Wide receiver: Brian Finneran led all wide receivers on the team with 50 receptions. Although he is a reliable possession receiver, Finneran has never possessed great speed or explosiveness and will turn 30 in the offseason. Michael Jenkins and Roddy White certainly have more big-play ability, but they are young and raw. In addition, Dez White has underachieved everywhere he has been. Atlanta needs a proven veteran receiver who can make an immediate impact and take some pressure off Vick.

Safety: This position has been somewhat of a disaster. Ronnie Heard and Keion Carpenter give good effort, but they do not make enough plays and shouldn't be every-down players. Bryan Scott, a second-round pick in 2003, has been slow to develop, and the Falcons have to prepare for the possibility that he'll never reach his full potential. They need to add a playmaker at this position.

Guard: Kynan Forney did not play as well last season as he did the year before, and Matt Lehr is better suited to a role as a backup. The depth here isn't very good, and Atlanta needs to get more physical up front. Adding a veteran guard who can push the pile in short-yardage situations and hold up in pass protection would give the Falcons the presence in the middle they lack.

Defensive tackle: Rod Coleman and Chad Lavalais are quality starters who fit this scheme well. In addition, No. 3 Jonathan Babineaux should only get better as he gains more experience. The problem is the lack of size. Although Atlanta's scheme is predicated on sacrificing size for quickness, this group had problems holding its own against power runners. The team needs a massive situational run-stuffer to gobble up blocks and help free up the rangy linebackers.

The Falcons have one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the league, an effective running game and playmakers on defense. They are in good position to bounce back in 2006, but they still have some work to do this offseason. Although they have a talented nucleus of players, they didn't show a lot of toughness and need to get a lot more physical on both sides of the ball. That means adding a big run-stuffing defensive tackle and a mauler-type offensive guard. Atlanta also will look to sign a veteran safety who can line up in the box and help out in run support.

- I guess the one thing I noticed here was they mentioned OG, and not OT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sorry, FYI, that was from Scouts Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:08 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

haha, this is great...In 5-7 years, we're going to have a team full of V-Tech alumns... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:18 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Here's our very own free agency monitor:

http://www.falcfans.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.realfootball365.com/college/ ... 170206.php

However, Williams is a different type of cornerback than Hall. While Hall is a flashier type who has been widely celebrated by just about everyone for the last few years, Williams is more of a low-key guy who isn't necessarily well-known by the average football fan. Well, fans should get to know him because he is undoubtedly the best cornerback coming out in the upcoming draft.

Perhaps the best aspect about Williams' game is the fact that he is a former safety. Thus, if a team has a surplus of cornerbacks, or they are depleted with injuries at the safety position, they can simply plug in Williams. His versatility is what sets him apart. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Williams has run a 4.36 and 4.4 in the forty-yard dash on two occasions. He should be a hit at the upcoming scouting combine in Indianapolis.

The biggest question about Williams at this point is where he will go in April's draft. If the soon to be 22-year old falls out of the top fifteen, it will definitely be a major surprise. At this point, it appears that Williams could go anywhere from eighth to fifteenth in the draft. Buffalo, St. Louis, and Cleveland may be the next stomping grounds for Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:20 am 

What's curious in my mind about Williams is that he's a former safety, but most sources I see say he struggles in zone coverage. That's an oddity right there.

Profile E-mail