Raiders hire Art Shell

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Raiders hire Art Shell

Postby Pudge » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 am

A very interesting move, probably motivated politically just as much as it was motivated by necessity. Big Al has had trouble attracting coaches to Oakland since Gruden because of his tight control over the reins of the team. It's understandable. Not a good situation for any coach since they don't have final say on the coaching staff hires.

I don't think anybody loved Shell from his days here in Atlanta. But being a good position coach has little to do with being a good head coach and vice versa. We'll see if Shell's 6 year layoff from coaching has hurt his skills.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:01 am

The avg life span of a coach in Oakland is about 2 years, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to go there....why Al Davis just doesn't go ahead and assume the title himself I don't understand...

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby starley657 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 am

Nothing against Shell, but he was the only guy who would say yes. Al tried to hire some other people, but no one wanted it. I wouldn't either.

The_Incomparable
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby The_Incomparable » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Yeah but either way it is good to see Shell back on the sidelines where he belongs. He shouldn't have been run out of the Radiers HC position to begin with, and he REALLY should not have been snubbed by the rest of the NFL afterwards' thus I am just happy to see him back in the league and hope that he takes a page from Davis' book and cuts & runs to another HC position if he is offered one in the next couple years.
Props to Scar for my sig.

Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Postby Capologist » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:03 pm

Glad to see that wrong righted...

Return to “The Huddle”