It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Misc News and Notes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thought I'd post some news and notes I found relating to the offseason...

1. I remember we looked at Schulter's last year, and obviously safeties still an issue. I remember Haynes being pretty touted out of PSU a couple years back too. Somehow we've gotta get our mix of how we fill the needs at DE, Oline, Secondary, in realtion to draft vs. free agency.

Schulters wants to return
<Jan. 11> Schulters and the Miami Dolphins have expressed mutual interest in finding a way to re-sign the veteran for at least another season, the Palm Beach Post reports. The veteran safety becomes an unrestricted free agent after the Super Bowl, meaning he will have some time to test the market before the Dolphins have an offer laid out.
Signed late during training camp, Schulters had a team-leading four interceptions, also adding two sacks, six pass deflections and 76 tackles.

Haynes on his way out
<Jan. 17> The former first-round pick doesn't believe he'll wear Chicago's uniform again. Haynes made it clear he desires to be released or traded, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
''Definitely,'' Haynes said. ''It's pretty clear it's time for me to move on.''

Haynes doesn't believe he'll get an opportunity behind Pro Bowl alternates Alex Brown and Adewale Ogunleye. Halfway through his six-year contract that had a base value of $9.2 million, the Bears can wipe him off the books with a $2.6 million hit to their salary cap.

Haynes made 17 tackles and had 1-1/2 sacks during the season. He appeared in all 32 games his first two seasons, making four starts and recording 72 tackles and four sacks.

2. All these relate to the possibility that someone may deal for Schwab. Seems to be a lot of teams repositioning either their 1st or 2nd string qb's.

- Simms raised his stock enormously after playing well in relief of Griese. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that at least four teams, including the Lions, Jets and Dolphins, are interested in Simms, who began the season as the backup to Brian Griese.

- Other possible destinations for Couch include Miami and Tennessee. Couch recently worked out for both teams and appears to be progressing well from elbow and shoulder surgery, which he underwent in February 2005.

- Kitna would be a nice insurance policy for the Bengals. Palmer underwent surgery on Jan. 10 to repair two knee ligaments and there's a chance he might not be healthy enough to play early in the 2006 season. The Ravens are believed to be one of the teams interested in Kitna, who threw for more than 3,000 yards each season from 2001 to 2003 before accepting a backup role the past two seasons.

- Collins put up respectable numbers in '05 (3,759 yards, 20-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio) but has the highest salary-cap figure on the team (nearly $12.9 million). Collins is the only proven starter on the Raiders' roster, so cutting him before the QB market shakes out would be a calculated risk.

- However, the Titans may be attempted to trade Volek to a team like the Jets. Steve McNair is expected to be back in Tennessee, and the Titans also own the No. 3 pick in the draft.

- "We want Chad to be the quarterback, but Chad knows he's going to be competing," Jets coach Herman Edwards told the N.Y. Daily News. "Obviously, we're going to bring in another quarterback. That's not a secret. Who he is, I don't know."

- Kerry Collins and Patrick Ramsey have been mentioned as possibilites. Whomever the Jets bring in must come relatively cheap. Pennington, coming off a second surgery to repair his throwing shoulder, is entering the third year of an eight-year, $64 million contract and has a cap number of $15 million in '06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Haynes has a lot of potential but he's no problem solver. He would be added to the mix, and best case scenario plays up to his potential and becomes a top DE on this defense. But if we picked him up, I would expect the Falcons to not have him as our best option for replacing Smith/upgrading the DE spot.

As for Schulters, he would be a solid veteran addition to team with a rookie that we draft this year. He can play either FS or SS, although SS is his ideal position, which probably means he'd be idelaly a FS here.

Profile E-mail