It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kerney's contract
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

According to Cap, the last two years of Kerney's contract will void if he meets certain incentives. Those were:

1) Two Pro Bowls
2) participate in 85% of snaps
3) Rank in the Top 10 in the NFL or Top 5 in the NFC twice in sacks.

Well I think he's hit the 2nd incentive by playing and starting every game the past 2 years. There is rarely a time when Kerney is off the field and on the sideline the past two years.

So in my estimation, it means Kerney's contract is set to void following the 2006 season. So wouldn't it be prudent for the Falcons to talk about an extension this off-season?

According to Cap's latest figures, Kerney has a cap hit of $8.84 milllion in 2006. About $5 million of which is base salary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:28 pm 

After reading Cappy's blog it does seem like we have plenty of options to really get the cap under control this season. I was very concerned about the cap coming into the offseason but it would appear we should be able to get comfortably below the cap.

At the same time I think the Falcons are at a point where they need to build through the draft and sign role players and depth in free agency. To be honest I don't expect any signings of the Ed Hartwell status this year.

I do think that the Falcons need to extend both Kerney and Dunn this offseason. Dunn mostly because of his cap hit growing in quantified leaps his final two years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:20 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Now is the time to renegotiate with Kerney. He had a bad year statistically so we can have him take a more reasonable offer, while letting him know he won't have to worry about something like this year happening to him again because we're going to use that money to create some veteran depth at RDE. Sounds like an ideal situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Now is the time to renegotiate with Kerney. He had a bad year statistically so we can have him take a more reasonable offer, while letting him know he won't have to worry about something like this year happening to him again because we're going to use that money to create some veteran depth at RDE. Sounds like an ideal situation.

:wink: 100%, Incomparable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:51 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I totally agree. Cappy just forgot one thing in his 2006 cap blog, and his name is Roddy White. :o :wink: Just giving you a hard time Cappy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:10 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Absolute_Vicktory wrote:
I totally agree. Cappy just forgot one thing in his 2006 cap blog, and his name is Roddy White. :o :wink: Just giving you a hard time Cappy.

LOL, White wasn't in the blog because there is nothing that can be done with his contract (not that we'd necessarily want to since it's 5 years/ 7.3 million).

The reason White's numbers weren't in the cap spreadsheet is because I can only verify the base salaries. I'm working on the bonus issues. I'm anticipated the deal to be very similar to Michael Jenkins but not 100% sure yet so I omitted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:11 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

As for Kerney, his deal did void as Pudge mentioned and his cap hit includes the signing bonus money from 2007 that carries forward in voided years.

I think the team is holding out hope for the CBA to be extended before doing any restructures or extensions...