It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schuab to Cincy for 2nd?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 pm 

Sounds like the Falcons are willing to part with Matt Schuab for a second round pick this off-season. Cincy faced with an unknown window of return on Carson Palmer may let Kitna walk and deal for Schuab. It would be attractive to Cincy since Schuab would be in his final year and I'm guessing would be allowed to walk at the end of the season.

Looks like the 'trade Schuab' crowd will get it's wish. God help us if Vick goes down.

Quote:
The Falcons are willing to part with backup QB Matt Schaub for a second-round pick. If the Bengals choose not to re-sign free agent Jon Kitna, Schaub could emerge as a candidate to bridge the gap until Carson Palmer's return from a left knee injury.
-- Dayton Daily News

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

For Cincinatti's 2nd round pick, which is about 67th overall or so, then definitely not. The Bengals will have to give up their first because it is such a low pick. I would take a high 2nd and a 3rd for him though, like from the Jets. There is also a less documented rumor that the Cowboys may offer up a 1st & a 2nd....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:52 pm 

I don't know about a 2nd & 3rd round pick but we could probably get a low 2nd & 4th round pick. I haven't seen the rumor about Dallas offering a 1st & 2nd. That is saying a lot since most NFL teams never dream of trading draft picks except to get a sure fire player in the current draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've said it before and I'll say it again. In this day and age, you need a quality back up in cas the starting QB goes down. Schaub is quality and the Falcons would be foolish to let him go, no matter what other teams are offering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

If they trade him without first having somebody other than Detmer, who knows which end of the center to line up under, I swear I'll quit watching them. And I'm 58 years old and went to their first game and have bled with them all this time.

Surely they can't be that stupid. Knapp is, but surely not the rest of them.... say it ain't so ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm 

I don't think Detmer comes back even if Atlanta needs him. Chances are he'll be an assitant or consultant this coming season. I can't say even Atlanta wants him starting under center. If we deal Schuab we will need to add a pair of backups. I'm guessing we will sign one and draft the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:02 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I highly and I mean HIGHLY doubt Schaub goes anywhere for anything less than a 1st rounder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:31 pm 

I think if Atlanta trades Schuab it could be a draft day or day-before draft day deal. I'd be surprised to see it happen much earlier than that. Of course if Schuab isn't dealt at the draft he will likely remain a Falcon and walk at the end of his contract. Unless Atlanta thinks they can use the transition tag and still trade him for something worth while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:13 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Jay Glazier reported on FSN tonight that "a few teams are interested in trading for Schuab, with more than one offering a first round pick". That is not verbatim, but basically what he said about the situation. Schaub is as good as gone fellas. It's not like we can't bring in another backup QB to play 1-2 games per year and look good losing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Jay Glazier reported on FSN tonight that "a few teams are interested in trading for Schuab

If you consider teams like Miami and Dallas, who need a starting QB ASAP, then a trade is certainly possible. Teams like this, esp. Dallas, isn't going to draft a young QB to groom for the starter role. Considering the only other FA QB of note is Kitna, then I would consider Schwab gone. If we can get either DB, OL or DE help, then it's becomes an attractive deal. The obvious question is who's the #2 QB, considering Vick prob has the highest risk for injury with his style of any qb in the league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If we trade Shaub then I bet we end up with a Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, or Jon Kitna...some player with a couple of years under his belt...I like the idea of moving Shaub, especially if we get a 1 for him....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:20 pm 

I would love to add Kitna as a backup quarterback but he isn't coming to Atlanta. The reason why Kitna is exploring FA is to find a team that will let him start. So Kitna will likely end up somewhere like Dallas, Miami, NY Jets, Minny (if Culpepper is delt).

Atlanta could probably nab Ramsey I don't think NFL teams are as willing to let him start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I hear Aaron Brooks may be available... :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Schaub and the rumors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:44 am 

I just wanted to reiterate about trading Schaub only if we can sign a free agent backup would I deal him.Sage Rosenfels or some other QB that is half way decent.We don't need to have him be as good as schaub but someone that can at least move the team.

The Cincy deal for there 2nd rounder no I would not do that deal,its a low pick.Either get a first rounder or high second rounder or the team better give up a mid 2nd and mid 3rd.We shouldn't just give Schaub away he has alot of value despite not starting much.This draft has alot of depth and the more picks we can accumulate the better and faster we can build the team to get to that next level.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 am 
Starter
Starter

I say if we can use Schaubby to get a first rounder and then turn around and move up in the 1st plus score an early 2nd rounder then okay(wishful thinking). Of course if we do and Vick gets hurt then I will denounce this post for all I can and plead ignorance. Don't get me wrong I love Schaubby but another year of our D getting toasted will make me more nauseous than after eating a Georgia Dome jumbo sausage dog with extra kraut.

Gotta Go- I think Marcus Vick is breaking into my car :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons should jump at the chance to trade Schaub to Cincinnati even for a late 2nd round pick.

Fact is, you can't predict the future, and Schaub's value may not go up. Remember Doug Johnson's career was looking totally up going into 2003, he got his chance and blew it. Is Schaub better than DJ? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's etched in stone that he can be a starting QB in this league. Recall that DJ played pretty well through the first 3 years of his career. As I've said there is a huge difference between being a fill-in starter and being a guy a team can count on for 16 games. Schaub has yet to win a game, and I hate to sound so negative because I think Schaub is a good player, but the fact is, there is no telling what is going to happen. Fact is, the 67th pick in the draft is still better value for the 90th overall pick. Trade him to Cincy where we get him out of the division.

Also, I think people are putting too much emphasis on getting a player as good or better than Schaub. The likelihood of that happening is very low people. Schaub is one of the best backup QBs in the NFL in terms of his current ability and upside.

Also, the Falcons QB situation is not a highly attractive job for the few backup guys that are out there that are better than Schaub. There is little to no upward mobility in Atlanta, at least for the next few years.

But that doesn't mean that we should stick with Schaub. THere are a number of potential backups that could do well in Atlanta. Having a passer rating of 99? A bit of a lofty expectation, but guys that can manage the game and put us in a sitch where we can win.

Frankly in my mind, any QB that is good enough to lead his team to the playoffs is good enough to be a backup in the NFL.

Potential Options:

Tommy Maddox - he's a gambler that is a bit INT prone, but he can win football games and is a solid passer. Very likely to be dumped by Steelers.

TOny Banks - may be cut by Texans if Kubiak looks at other options. Has a winning record as a starter since leaving St. Louis.

Anthony Wright - mobile QB unlikely to be re-signed by Baltimore. Has shown he can win in relief, just needs to cut down on his mental mistakes.

Koy Detmer - may be let loose by Eagles. He's no stud, but he's shown that he can win in relief in the past.

Ken Dorsey - 49ers might dump him. I'm not enamored with him, but besides Rattay, he's proven to be the best option in San Fran over past 2 years, and has done a decent job in relief.

Sage Rosenfels - very Schaub-like in playing style. Up and coming, and maybe the Falcons can snag him for a year or two before he moves onto bigger and better things.

Jeff Blake - not a star, but is very capable coming off the bench.

Gus Frerotte/Jay Fiedler/Joey Harrington/Jeff Garcia - all could/should be available to sign. All will be looking for a chance to start somewhere, which means Atlanta will be low on their list. But if they are still unsigned come early to late April, they could settle on a backup job in Atlanta for at least a year.

I really like our chances with Wright and Blake. I'd love to get Harrington, but he would be the biggest longshot IMO of those guys on that list. Rosenfels would be my #2 option but again I think he's relatively a longshot. He'd return to Miami before coming to Atlanta.

The fact is, Schaub is not going to remain a Falcon much longer. Why not jump at the chance to get good value for him. And yes, a 2nd round pick is great value for a QB that only has 3 starts in his career.

IMHO, holding out for a better trade option is riskier than getting rid of Schaub.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:54 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Capologist wrote:
I hear Aaron Brooks may be available... :lol: :lol:

Don't make me come find you! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:57 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:

Jeff Blake - not a star, but is very capable coming off the bench.

Blake is a loser. Always has been and always will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:39 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Schaub isn't going anywhere...why??? Because I said so. :lol:

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Everytime I saw Rosenfels play last year he looked solid. I think he threw for 200+ yards to just Chris Chambers in one game that was basically Chambers' break out game for his career. Sage would be ideal since he is still a bit under the radar & shouldn't cost a ton, plus with Vick missing a game or 2 each year Sage would get a couple chances to improve his standing in the league.

For those that think letting Schaub go is stupid, do you really think he is worth more than say Ko Simpson and Stterstrom? That is the kinds of picks we could get for him. Sorry, but hanging onto a guy who plays one game versus having two potential long term starters at positions of need just seems like a ridiculous argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:35 pm 

I wonder where Shockley might get drafted? Wouldn't that be an interesting idea.

Anywho, I don't think Rosenfels is going to be looking for a backup gig. He had a good year as a replacement quarterback and his stock is as high as it will ever get in regard to him finding and starting for anther NFL team (especially after the Feely flop).

I think our best bet is to find a young quarterback that either needs to find somewhere else to play and get experience after a failed entrance into the NFL (Harrington, Boller, Ramsey, Feely, McCown); or a veteran who knows his days as a starter are over (Batch, Weinke, Maddox). Another guy I wouldn't mind signing as a backup would be Jamie Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I really don't see how a guy who put up the numbers Shockley put up can fall out of day 1, but it seems like nobody is giving him any credit. It's almost like they think Quincy Carter was better than Shockley, which is a travesty. Shockley SHOULD go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but it sounds like he may go in the 5th or 6th, which is pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:43 pm 

The_Incomparable wrote:
I really don't see how a guy who put up the numbers Shockley put up can fall out of day 1, but it seems like nobody is giving him any credit. It's almost like they think Quincy Carter was better than Shockley, which is a travesty. Shockley SHOULD go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but it sounds like he may go in the 5th or 6th, which is pathetic.

That is exactly my thinking in regards to Shockley. He could very well turn into our next 'Matt Schuab.' If we do get a 2nd or 1st round pick for Schuab and Shockley is there in the 4th I would say draft him to replace Schuab.

If we could keep doing this every 3 or 4 years we could turn into Green Bay in regard to exporting young QB talent and keep our draft coffers stocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:51 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wouldnt mind Shockley but I see a problem you guys may be overlooking.

Lets say Shaub gets dealt. That would leave our QBS as Vick, Shockley, Randall. All mobile QB's who are barely 6'0". Granted this is as if we dont sign a vetern back-up but just imagine if we went into next season with those three as our QBs.