It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cappy breaks down Falcons cap situation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure how many people knew of its existence, but we've added a blog to this site now. Cap, just wrote up a good and brief breakdown of the Falcons cap situation.

You can see it here:

http://www.falcfans.com/blog

From what he says, I do believe that Dunn will be retained. I'm just as sure Brady Smith won't be back. There may be a chance if he's unsigned after the draft and the Falcons can afford to bring him back at a 1-yr. minimum deal, but otherwise I don't see the Falcons giving him a contract extension (I believe he has just one year left on his contract) when they are poised to get a quality guy in the draft this year, plus they have Chauncey Davis as an option.

Weiner I'm not quite sure about. He could come back, but as Cappy mentioned, it may depend on if the team can work out a restructuring that saves nearly or the same amount of money it could by cutting him. I like Weiner a lot, but with the team poised to move on at LT, it may also be time to make the leap and move on at RT. Not to mention Barry Stokes was adequate as a starter (again he wouldn't be my ideal choice), so the team could save by re-signing him, and hoping they find a quality OT in the draft.

But it's nice to know that the Falcons aren't going to have to do a lot with restructuring to get under teh cap with Hall and Vick's bonuses. I think Kerney is going to get an extension, and I suspect the Falcons will find some way to save some cash on Brooking's contract.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:02 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Pudge, I noticed it's only showing up in the January archives section. Why is that?

Post subject: Cap situation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:41 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Mr. CapMan, enlighten me please...

OK so we work on the cap like this:
1. we cut Brady - that $2.5mil savings (with a cap hit of only $.5mil since he is last year of contract)
2. rework Warrick - thats optimistically $3mil savings and bad news for future cap years
3. D. Hall is due $6.5mil? Does that count toward the $9.5mil overage? If so then we wrap him up with generous contract which seems wise anyway, but that also raises his base, plus creates another bonus that needs to be amortized. The cap will likely hang in the $5mil range for him, a savings of maybe $3.5mil, all dependent on how this money has been accounted for in the first place.

So, without the D.Hall confusing situation, we are still $4 over the cap and minus a DE. Being optimistic on the D.Hall contract we are close to cap, but no room to sign anyone.

I dont get cutting Weiner, our best OL despite being banged up last year. especially with Shaf going.

Kerney has 3 years left on contract, be will be 32, how far do we extend him? Lets hope he is not in decline as a pass rusher, his ballast against the run can stand some improvement.

I thought the Vick contract/bonus was already amortized. If not then I guess that looks pretty good for the cap. Really, the mysteries all seem to be in the details of the contracts, and not in the mathematics of forecasting the relatively straight forward scenarios of getting under the cap. Its all a riverboat gamble on how healthy & motivated the players will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Sponge:

1. Reworking Dunn doesn't necessarily mean bad news for future years. It all depends on how it's done. It's a tough issue, no question about it.

2. The guesstimated $6.5 milliion on DHall is an option bonus. It's simply converted to signing bonus and prorated out just like his initial signing bonus. Not sure how the base salaries are affected yet but I'm sure there's some extra clauses in there. This has been a very hush hush contract.

3. Don't forget Vick's roster bonus which will also be converted to signing bonus. This is a pretty customary move and is fairly cap friendly as well. This move in conjunction with a couple of others would move us below the cap.

4. I'm not suggesting to cut Weiner, I'm just saying that option is there if the team can't restructure his deal since he's in the last year of his contract. I would much rather see an extension worked out.

5. Kerney is a tough one. He had 3 years on his deal but the last two were voided out when he made the Pro Bowl. So 2006 is the last year of his deal now. I'd extend him out for 3 years but I'd be a bit gunshy on going any further out than that.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:38 pm 

I do think we will see extensions for Kerney, Weiner, and Dunn. Although the Falcons wouldn't win or lose anything if they didn't extend Weiner and let him walk next year. Kerney & Dunn need to be priority. Especially if the Falcons think Dunn can lead us to a Super Bowl at the runningback slot.