It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shaffer's departure a forgone conclusion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I've been reading the team reports of USA Today lately, and in their view it seems a forgone conclusion that Shaffer won't return and Omiyale will take over. Now I would agree that it is probably likely that Shaffer won't return, but these same team reports are saying the Falcons won't even offer Shaffer a contract.

I don't know about that. I would say Shaffer's play this year, although not exceptional was decent, and was definitely improved from a year ago, and merits at least a contract offer. Now would that offer be able to compete with other teams? Maybe, maybe not.

What do you guys think? Do you think Shaffer will be offered a contract by the Falcons? Do you think he should? Is Omi ready to step up as the starter?

I think Omi has high upside as a pass protector, but he's still pretty raw. He didn't play a game on offense, so he's basically a rookie again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:36 pm 

It is a tough call on the offensive line period. I don't think anyone really knows where the Falcons are headed on the line and so far they've made decisions few of us have agreed with. My guess is that the Falcons will offer a 1 or 2 year minimum vet (or slightly higher) tender to Shaffer to see if he is interested at all in coming back.

I've heard good reports about Omiyale and he is more a pass protector than Shaffer is and we need that for Vick. If Shaffer and Omiyale are even talent wise I'd use the better pass protector for the left tackle over the better run blocker. This team is loaded with run blockers we need pass blockers.

It is also possible that tackle just made it's way onto the Falcons first day draft wishes. I don't think we'd draft one in the first but the 2nd or 3rd round is a possibility. The draft seems to have a bevy of good tackles.

Soooo many routes the Falcons can go at left tackle. If Shaffer doesn't bite on much more then the veteran minimum I'd let him walk. We need to be stingy with our cash and if we think Omiyale is at least a lateral change or can get a better tackle in the draft I'd go that route.

Post subject: Falcon's will let shaffer walk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:47 pm 

I think the falcon's want to upgrade left tackle which means shaffer won't get the big payday from them.Omiyale,give me a break the guy hasn't plaed a down and the falcon's want people to believe he is there starter for next year? In order for the falcon's to reach the next level the off line is going to need some new players who can pass and run block. Even high draft choices like gallery can have difficulty there rookie year playing on the line. I think there is a high probability that 2-3-4 round could be used for the line,2 of the picks at least.

I would like to see a veteran signed to groom Omiyale and then maybe he can develop enough to give him the job in another year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:14 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If we don't sign Shaffer we will take a Tackle in the first or 2nd round, unless we sign some scrub FA and try to pass him off as a starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Personally, I'd still rather draft DB help and a DE, before a LT in the first two rounds. D to me is still a higher priority, although we all know the Oline needs to be addressed (specifically in pass blocking).

Like Dirty said, it's still so up in the air at this point b/c we have no idea who the new oline coach is. If it stays Gibbs (more and more unlikely), then we know he doesn't use picks that high on Oline traditionally(not saying I agree with this consider the current pass blocking performance). However, if someone else comes in then everything could change. Its just hard to specualte before we know who the coach is.

Someone posted a couple days ago our Oline drafting history in I believe the first couple rounds, which basically equated to 2-3 people. Just seems like something needs to be done differently. I do remember one of McKay's reoccuring problem in Tampa was the Oline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:51 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I read that we are trying to get teh USC line coach, which could lead to us taking Winston Justice in the first round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

jake ATL: Mel, love your stuff. What about the Falcons? Who have they been talking to? Who are they looking at both in Mobile and overall?

Mel Kiper: (1:53 PM ET ) I think a DB with versatility would be a big plus for them. Huff or Jimmy Williams would be intriguing. They both have great versatility.

Mel Kiper: (1:53 PM ET ) They could also use an OT or another DL. They have needs other than just the secondary.

- Posted from a Kiper chat. Based on what Mel says (which i know is very dicey on occasion), we're looking at a DB. If we want versatility (but not another Bryan Scott), the Jimmy Williams is the man. If you've got DeLo at one corner, and Jimmy at either S or CB, thats starting to shape up at one very intimidating secondary IMO.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say after the combine, Jimmy will be far ahead of the two other top CB prospects, Huff and Hill.

Post subject: Re: Falcon's will let shaffer walk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:01 pm 

thescout wrote:
Omiyale,give me a break the guy hasn't played a down and the falcon's want people to believe he is there starter for next year?

We said the same thing about Kevin Shaffer when Bob Whitfield went away. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities. Also, I'm fairly sure that Omiyale did get a few reps at the end of the season. If nothing else he knows the scheme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Personally, I'd still rather draft DB help and a DE, before a LT in the first two rounds. D to me is still a higher priority, although we all know the Oline needs to be addressed (specifically in pass blocking).

I agree. If given the choice of fixing the O-Line or fixing the defense I would choose the defense. This doesn't mean I wouldn't add a player. Probably depth for a year and hopefully becomming a starter in '07.

I've a feeling our O-Line will be much the same as it was this past year. The only change being Omiyale taking over for Shaffer.
I think McKay will address the DE position with a high pick and seriously address the secondary. We'll probably take a lineman with a third round selection, probably a guard.
I think Rich will focus on the defense for '06 and focus more on the O-Line in '07. He may want to let our new O-Line coach see what he has to work with over the course of a season.
I can see the guard taken starting in '07 replacing Lehr with Lehr replacing McClure who will be an UFA. I would guess we would go OT or RB with our first pick in '07.

Last edited by DenimJacket on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:13 am 

Shaffer was a little different. Because Whit was sucking like balls in 2003 and then got hurt, Shaffer came in and outplayed him by far. When Whit went down, it was more like "Oh, it can't get much worse."

I'm not saying Shaffer is a superstar LT, he's probably only good enough to start on maybe a dozen teams around the league.

But I say if the Falcons thought Omi was ready this past year, then they would have activated him for those games where Weiner was hurt. His being inactive for 16 weeks tells me the coaching staff was very skeptical of him being ready to play, and I doubt that is going to change in the matter of 3-5 months.

I think Omi has good upside, but if the Falcons are really set to enter 2006 with him penciled in as the starting LT, then I have even bigger questions about some of our decision making on the OL than before.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I think Shaffer will ask for a bigger contract than we will be willing to give. FA tackles this FA period are very thin. I honestly don't see anyone available much, if any, better than Shaffer. This puts Kevin in great shape to be overpayed. Just say no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Kevin will be overpaid, Omiyale will be exposed, and we may be left hurting when guys like Rice & Smith come calling for Vick's head. I sure hope we take one of the great Tackles in this draft with one of our early picks. We need to get a couple extra day 1 picks BADLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:07 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't think Shaffer is an option to be honest. I look for us to draft someone and for Omiyale to get a shot at starting...