It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons' Notes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:05 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here are some things I have found in some newspapers online about the Falcons from the past few days. I just thought i would share them and see what you think about them.

"Longwell, who made $7.5 million over the last five seasons with Green Bay, will draw high interest from such teams as Dallas, Tennessee, Atlanta and Tampa Bay."
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=33389

"The Buffalo Bills plan to talk to Atlanta Falcons assistant coach Brett Maxie about being their new defensive coordinator. The Bills asked for and received permission from the Falcons to interview Maxie, a source in Atlanta told The News on Monday."
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 000055.asp

Meanwhile, a source said Atlanta Falcons offensive line coach Jeff Jagodzinski was en route to Green Bay for an interview with McCarthy. It appears Jagodzinski will become offensive coordinator and oversee the coaching of the offensive line.
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/384882.asp

Big-Back Alert: Sources in Atlanta say the Falcons will listen to trade offers for double-wide running back T.J. Duckett. The 6-foot, 250-pound Duckett played poorly this season. He rushed for just 43 yards on 38 carries in the final five games.
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13615908.htm

Finally this isn't a Falcons' note, but a question I have really. Would you like John Abraham from the Jets if he was released. Here's what I found on it:
The Jets are facing monumental salary-cap problems. Things are potentially so bad that they might have to dump their best defensive player, end John Abraham.
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13615908.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Am I mistaken or was that article linking Maxie to Buffalo, prior to Mularkey's resignation.

Maxie IMO is a strong candidate to be a DC elsewhere. The Falcons coaching staff IMO could get shaken up. If Kubiak lands in Houston, I could see him going after some our assistant coaches because of their links with Gibbs (including Gibbs himself).

But one of the positives with all the coaching changes made this year, there are plenty of viable replacements available. The Senior Bowl is coming up and is not only a way for teams to see what the draft's top prospects are like in practice, but a major job fair for unemployed coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons come away from there with a few new additions, particularly if more assistants leave Atlanta.

Longwell is an excellent kicker, and has proven in his career to be a successful indoor guy (86% career average), but at this point I'd rather go with a cheaper option like Peterson. Peterson doesn't have Longwell's leg strength, whose hit 78% of his kicks beyond 50 yards in the past 3 years, but if paying Longwell $2 million in signing bonus as opposed to Peterson like $500,000, then maybe we should look harder at retaining Peterson. Longwell would be an upgrade, but I wouldn't spend a fortune on a guy when your incumbent is still solid.

As for Abraham, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets let him go since they are expected to be between $25-30 million over the '06 cap. I'm not sure the Falcons are financially in a position to throw $12-15 million in signing bonus at Abraham. I'd love to get him, but considering his cost and the fact I don't think we need another Pro Bowler at DE to make an impact, it's not worth it IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:58 am 

I like to see that Atlanta is going to at least entertain offers for Duckett. We really need to resolve the backfield. I still think Duckett doesn't fit here in Atlanta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:21 pm 

Duckett did indeed have a very poor finish here in Atlanta. He's just not quick enough to be a great long-term option as a main weapon.

It would be nice to get a young option in the draft, but the Falcons should look at some veterans like Ron Dayne in the off-season. But the fact is, we'll miss Duckett's power. Few runners in the NFL IMO have the same power that Duckett has.

I would suspect the Pittsburgh Steelers will be one of the main suitors if any for Duckett's services. He would be the ideal replacement for Bettis if the Bus (I think he will too) decides to hang it up after this year.

Profile E-mail