It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumors from ESPN on teams need QBs and Julian Peterson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:25 am 

Now reading these rumors you can't tell me other teams aren't looking for QBs.Miami,Oakland,Detroit,Arizona,Cleveland and I am sure maybe a few more.Schaub has alot to offer and hopefully one of these teams bites for either there 1st rounder or a high second rounder.What about peterson would you guys be interested in him although it doesn't seem he is 100%?We need help in alot of areas I am not so sure I would pay big dollars for him

McNair heading to Miami?
<Jan. 6> Steve McNair's agent, Bus Cook, told the Miami Herald that his client would "amenable" to playing for the Dolphins if the Titans cut or trade McNair.
The Titans would like to keep McMair, and McNair has said he'd be willing to ride out Tennessee's rebuilding process, but salary-cap contraints could force the parties to cut ties. The 32-year-old McNair will be owed a $50 million option bonus next March, which would inflate his cap number to $28.9 million. Even if the Titans elect not to pick up McNair's option, the QB will still have an unmanageable cap number of $16.4 million.

The Dolphins could be searching for not only an upgrade at starting quarterback, but a tutor/role model for whatever young quarterback prospect they begin developing next season.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban said, "[McNair] still has the ability to move. There's no question about that. He scrambles to throw a little bit more now than when he was younger, but he can run it if he needs to."

Raiders keeping Collins?
<Jan. 5> Many assumed QB Kerry Collins would follow Norv Turner out the door in Oakland. That's not necessarily the case, according to team owner Al Davis.
"I think that would depend on who we talk to, what is available," Davis told the Oakland Tribune. "I think Kerry did adequately well considering other factors maybe not seen by the press or fans. I think he did reasonably well. He had no running game and his protection slipped."

Collins put up respectable numbers in '05 (3,759 yards, 20-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio) but has the highest salary-cap figure on the team (nearly $12.9 million). Collins is the only proven starter on the Raiders' roster, so cutting him before the QB market shakes out would be a calculated risk.

Volek wants to play
<Jan. 5> Volek, who turns 30 in April, is on the radar of several teams interested in trading for a quarterback, but has not ruled out a return to the Titans, the Tennessean reports.
Volek also has a $4 million option in his deal. By paying the $4 million, the Titans would add the 2008 season to the end of his current contract. If they don't pay the option, they could still keep Volek under contract by paying him a $500,000 roster bonus in March. Volek is scheduled to make base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and $1.25 million in 2007.

However, the Titans may be attempted to trade Volek to a team like the Jets. Steve McNair is expected to be back in Tennessee, and the Titans also own the No. 3 pick in the draft.

Peterson finished in S.F.?
<Jan. 4> Peterson may have appeared in his final game as a 49er, the Sacramento Bee reports. Making Peterson their franchise player for the third time would cost the team nearly $9 million in salary-cap space -- too much for someone whose play took a decided dip a year after he suffered a torn Achilles' tendon.
Fellow linebacker Derek Smith is also set to become a free agent if he is not re-signed in the next two months, and the 49ers bigger priority seems to be retaining Smith. Peterson is represented by agent Kevin Poston, and said he would sit down with Poston and his parents in the coming weeks to discuss how to move forward.

"I want to be back, but also I want to have some time to think and sort it out," Peterson said

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:52 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Julian Peterson, although not a necessary additon to this team would really help us. He had his best years in San Fran when Mora was coordinator. He's been just as productive since he left when he's managed to be on the field, but he hasn't had the impact that he did when Mora was DC.

But I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for Peterson. We gave Hartwell $8 million to sign last year, and Brooking $10.5 million 2 years before that. Basically, any signing bonus thrown his way that exceeds $10 million is just too much for a 28-year old LB that probably only has 3-4 more good years in him. Not when we have a cheap up and comer in DeMo that is 2 years younger.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:10 am 

I wouldn't sign a top-notch veteran to a deep spot on this team. I don't want to stunt the growth of DeMo, Boley, or Beck. We don't need a linebacker nor do we need Julian Peterson unless he wants to convert to RDE. If we are going to get a star player we need to get that star player at a position we need.

Just say NO to Julian Peterson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:40 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I agree DW, I can't see how he'd fit in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:05 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Peterson is overpriced & we have a half dozen LB's already that would start on most teams. Plenty of teams are looking for a QB and this shallow QB class will have teams looking within the league for QB's with some experience. Schaub should be dealt this offseason & the team has stated they would not trade him for less than a top half first round pick, meaning they are still trying to drive his value up. This will pay off soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:49 pm 

Another thought on Peterson....

Demorrio Williams = Peterson's talent unrealized & raw (I doubt DeMo will ever be a consistent starter though).
Michael Boley = Slightly slower version of Peterson with raw talent to be refined.
Jordan Beck = Could very well be just like Julian Peterson from the three mentioned.

We have so many linebackers that are close to Peterson in regard to speed, skill, and talent but are just young. Let them develop and see how they turn out. Even if they don't it isn't a huge deal since they are backups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Boley does remind me of Peterson because he truly excels in man coverage like Peterson does. We have to have DeMo on the field one way or another. He led the team in tackles & made huge plays throughout the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 pm 

I think next season with a healthy Beck and Hartwell we will see DeMo play a wildcard in respect to linebacker and even safety. we could see Boley or even Beck get the starting spot on the outside and play DeMorrio at any linebacker spot or the SS/FS any given down. DeMo will be on the field and probably for the majority of the snaps but he will rotate positons to find the best matchup or find the best angle for him to be utilized as a blitzer or run stopper.

Post subject: More Rumors and talk.....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:10 pm 
Starter
Starter

Doug Williams name mentioned as possible Saint coach candidate (New Orleans City Council wants him to be considered) and TB QB Chris Simms drawing interest. Maybe one of you in the know guys with a subscrip to the insider can let us know if their is any info worth knowing.

Anyone else wish we could fast forward to draft day????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm 

I wish we could fast forward to the beginning of March. Not only does it mean free agency time in the NFL but it also coninceids with my birthday. One of these years the Falcons will give me a birthday present in the form of a big FA signing. Of course since my birthday is typically the day after FA signing period begins it will probably never happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'd rather we keep Schaub atleast 1 more season, because even though they loss I like what I saw when Jacksonville/Cincinnati played when they had to turn to their back-ups...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

AngryJohnny wrote: Why do we want to get rid of Schaub again? We have depth at an important position, qb, why get thin there as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Pudge wrote:
Julian Peterson, although not a necessary additon to this team would really help us. He had his best years in San Fran when Mora was coordinator. He's been just as productive since he left when he's managed to be on the field, but he hasn't had the impact that he did when Mora was DC.

But I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for Peterson. We gave Hartwell $8 million to sign last year, and Brooking $10.5 million 2 years before that. Basically, any signing bonus thrown his way that exceeds $10 million is just too much for a 28-year old LB that probably only has 3-4 more good years in him. Not when we have a cheap up and comer in DeMo that is 2 years younger.
not to meantion Michael Boley whom I think is a good SLB, with speed and play making abilty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The_Incomparable wrote:
Boley does remind me of Peterson because he truly excels in man coverage like Peterson does. We have to have DeMo on the field one way or another. He led the team in tackles & made huge plays throughout the year.
I think D-Mo will be our hybrid roaming LB this season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:30 pm 

If the early reports are true DeMo is going to have to fight for a starting position again next year. Since the return of Ed Hartwell allows Atlanta to move Brooking back to WLB and Boley back to SLB which is his natural position.

The problem with DeMo is poor run stopping ability IMO. He isn't an everydown linebacker and really shouldn't be on the field unless Atlanta is going to blitz or it is an obvious passing down. In short yardage I'd prefer to have Beck or Boley at SLB and not Williams.

Me thinks the SLB spot will be a platoon effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:12 pm 

On the flip side of that coin (in reference to broadcasting) when you have a role-player they usually only come in at a point where the other side doesn't have much of a choice. They can change up how they run a play or the direction it is going to go. But in most cases when you have 3rd & 10 your going to have to pass the ball regardless of the look you get from the defense. In most cases on 3rd & 1 your best bet is to run the ball regardless of the look the defense gives you (save for circumstances where everyone is on the line).

I don't think we would necessarily be broadcasting what is going to happen on a play. We can always change things up and blow the OC's mind. :)