3 Falcons' Coaches Gone

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

3 Falcons' Coaches Gone

Postby starley657 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Here is the link to the article, but our quarterback coach was fired, or not renewed, and our 2 strength coaches left on their own. Could this be just the beginning, or is the all that will happen? Only time will tell.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... lcons.html

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:40 pm

I think those changes are just general house cleaning. Miller isn't a young guy so his retirement is of no major surprise. Colburn took a dream job and Johnson's roll wasn't much to begin with if Knapp was personally seeing to the Quarterbacks.

I wouldn't read much into these changes.
Fear the BEARD!

Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Postby Capologist » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:35 pm

I'm glad to see Johnson gone. He swore up and down how he put Vick through a strict regimen to improve his footwork. This has obviously not been effective. If the coach isn't reaching the player, time to get one that can...

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:05 am

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Greg Olson or Ted Tollner replace Johnson as QB coach. Both have worked with Knapp/Mora before in San Fran, and both were former Lions assistants.

As for Johnson's job, I think he did a fine job. Vick's mechanics and footwork were not relaly an issue with me. I think Johnson was let go because of his limited experience in the WCO system.

But losing Miller is a huge blow. He's seen the progression of every single Falcon player since he's been with the team since 1997 and no one has been on the team prior to 1998.

An option for replacing him is Packers strength coach Barry Rubin. They worked briefly together at Northwestern State back in the 70s where Rubin was a player and Miller was an assistant. One might assume then that they have similar systems, considering Miller may have been a big influence on how he learned his trade. Rubin, like Miller, was voted into the Strength & Conditioning Coaches HOF in the 1st year back in 2003.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:34 pm

He swore up and down how he put Vick through a strict regimen to improve his footwork. This has obviously not been effective. If the coach isn't reaching the player, time to get one that can...

Just what I was thinking :wink:

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:22 pm

I think we might see ol Detmer as our QB coach....just a thought though

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:33 pm

He's a free agent and Detmer hasn't made it sound like he cared to really play anymore. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Fear the BEARD!

Return to “The Huddle”