It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Football IQ, Atlanta Dumb?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:47 pm 

Another note I wanted to add in the post-season back lash is football IQ. I'm a fan of the Trailblazers and they are notorious for having some of the worst basketball IQ's of the NBA. Loads of talent but not very smart on the court.

It seems to me (at least in the second half) is that many of our players have low football IQ. Chief among them are Vick, Scott, DeMo, Coleman, Shaffer, Weiner, McClure, Duckett, and a few others I could note. But because a player has lots of talent doesn't mean that he has a high IQ.

Could one of the reasons that Atlanta is so average is because many of the teams key players don't make smart decisions on the field? Clearly our defense has among the lowest tackling IQ's on the planet. But it would seem that our team is suffering from an apparent lack of football IQ.

I don't know how you fix a problem like this... Perhaps it is coaching and maybe it is something that can be fixed by hammering in the basics every practice. I remember many people (myself included) couldn't believe how bad so many players where at the fundamentals of football. They missed tackles, blew coverages, ran poor routes, made bad passes, wiffed on basic blocks, it is a problem to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:54 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Tackles? What are those? I mean I haven't seen a good wrap up tackle in a long time. All I see are people diving at the legs of the other players. Fundamentals in the NFL went out a long time ago I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i agree completely, and i think it's a trickle down effect from the coaching staff, which has decided to go buddy buddy(mariucii and mora) instead of intimidating leader(parcells bellicik). lets face it most players don't have high iq's period but that's what coaching is for. when a player with a low football iq isn't a little afraid of messing up due to a strong coach then they're much more likely to go ahead and play dumb. and it doesn't help when the quarterback(the on field mind of the team), who needs to be smart, plays dumb. did we play this dumb with dan reeves? probably not. this certainly somewhat affirms the theory that mora won last year with a team he inherited from reeves and what you see now is all mora. i can't see the buddy buddy system every working to be honest with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm 

I wonder if we played it dumb by ushering out the Dan Reeves era. I'm fine with admitting that maybe dumping Reeves wasn't the greatest idea on the planet. But I don't think Reeves was the right coach for this team in the long run anyways.

In anycase the Mora Jr. era is here and won't change anytime in the near future.