It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your thoughts on the season and what the Falcon's need !
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:54 pm 

After seeing the Panthers humiliate the Falcon's in the dome so much for revenge.This game showed me that the Falcon's have not nearly the talent we think and that the coaches have not prepared properly to eventually get the Falcon's even a sniff of going deep in the playoffs. Lets face it the whole team quit today which is reason to question almost everythin about the Falcon's. The post game show Shannon Sharp said Vick is going to have to quit getting a free ride and win some improtant games before he is an elite QB.The last big win was vs Green Bay.I am disappointed at the coaches(Donatrell,Knapp).There systems don't look like either will get us to the promised land but I can't see either being fired this year.I guess the best part about otday is the falcon's get the 15th pick in the draft,whopee.

I wonder what Arthur Blank is feeling now.He is usally a guy that wants answers and holds people accontabvle.Donatrell will say we had injuries but look at a team like the patriots they have had all kinds of injuries and could make a super bowl run.My opinion TALENT is what we need which I have said many times.I think many of us agree where the weak points are on the team.

1.Safeties
2.def end
3.def tackle
4.off line
5.corner

Now I know those are alot of postiions to fill which all can't be done the same year.When you draft you take the best player available that fills a need.I am proposing to trade Schaub ONLY if we get another no1 pick or a very high second rounder, which we were offered a no1 last year and the falcon's turned it down.Also only trade schaub if we can sign a backup in free agency.I would not trade him for anything less.Now based on this we get an extra first rounder or high 2nd rounder.One thing people forget is the ron wolf way of drafting which is draft a young QB who can be a backup or be traded for a starter in a few years(Schaub situation).Aaron Brooks,Hasselbeck etc etc come to mind.I would pick one around the 4th,5th round.

There are 3 players that may filll the def end position (the guy from boston college,Mario Williams and Hali from penn state).At this point I am not sure if any will be down graded but if they can rush the QB any of them I would say draft one of the 3 which should be available one of them at no 15.Where it gets tough is if a guy like Mike Huff is available that can play corner/safety which one do you take? You have got to have an effective pass rush no matter who plays in the secondary.Now with the extra 1st or 2nd I would draft a off linemen if a good one is available(Giles,Scott possibly although I am hearing some bad things).With the falcons second round pick a safety(bing,Simpson,pollard,blue).Def tackle to me is a priority so if the dude from louisville is on the borad and is head and shoulders above the other def tackles besides ngota who will be long gone then i may use the 2nd rounder or second 1st rounder on him.We see if you can';t stop the run your defense can get shredded.

I really feel that if this team under performs next year both donatrell and knapp could be gone.Then if Mora doesn't get things done in the next 2 yrs he could be gone also.

Mike Vick, I think we need to hold him accounntable next year.It will be his 3rd yr in the Knapp offesne and we need to take the training wheels off sooner rather than later.If Vick doesn't start producing I would seriously think about trading him after 2 more years if anyone could afford him. By producing getting to the NCF Championship.He is getting paid a king's ransom and his style of play has never led any team to a super bowl in the history of the nfl plus injury risk.The excuse of let vick be vick is ridculous.Vick being vick will shorten his career and we know that against quality defenses the vick being vick offense can't get it done.Balance is key and a strong defensne.I can't emphasize that enough DEFENSE wins championships.We must have a strong draft and sign the right people in free agency.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on the season and what the Falcon's need !
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

thescout wrote:
After seeing the Panthers humiliate the Falcon's in the dome so much for revenge.This game showed me that the Falcon's have not nearly the talent we think and that the coaches have not prepared properly to eventually get the Falcon's even a sniff of going deep in the playoffs. Lets face it the whole team quit today which is reason to question almost everythin about the Falcon's. The post game show Shannon Sharp said Vick is going to have to quit getting a free ride and win some improtant games before he is an elite QB.The last big win was vs Green Bay.I am disappointed at the coaches(Donatrell,Knapp).There systems don't look like either will get us to the promised land but I can't see either being fired this year.I guess the best part about otday is the falcon's get the 15th pick in the draft,whopee.

I wonder what Arthur Blank is feeling now.He is usally a guy that wants answers and holds people accontabvle.Donatrell will say we had injuries but look at a team like the patriots they have had all kinds of injuries and could make a super bowl run.My opinion TALENT is what we need which I have said many times.I think many of us agree where the weak points are on the team.

1.Safeties
2.def end
3.def tackle
4.off line
5.corner

Now I know those are alot of postiions to fill which all can't be done the same year.When you draft you take the best player available that fills a need.I am proposing to trade Schaub ONLY if we get another no1 pick or a very high second rounder, which we were offered a no1 last year and the falcon's turned it down.Also only trade schaub if we can sign a backup in free agency.I would not trade him for anything less.Now based on this we get an extra first rounder or high 2nd rounder.One thing people forget is the ron wolf way of drafting which is draft a young QB who can be a backup or be traded for a starter in a few years(Schaub situation).Aaron Brooks,Hasselbeck etc etc come to mind.I would pick one around the 4th,5th round.

There are 3 players that may filll the def end position (the guy from boston college,Mario Williams and Hali from penn state).At this point I am not sure if any will be down graded but if they can rush the QB any of them I would say draft one of the 3 which should be available one of them at no 15.Where it gets tough is if a guy like Mike Huff is available that can play corner/safety which one do you take? You have got to have an effective pass rush no matter who plays in the secondary.Now with the extra 1st or 2nd I would draft a off linemen if a good one is available(Giles,Scott possibly although I am hearing some bad things).With the falcons second round pick a safety(bing,Simpson,pollard,blue).Def tackle to me is a priority so if the dude from louisville is on the borad and is head and shoulders above the other def tackles besides ngota who will be long gone then i may use the 2nd rounder or second 1st rounder on him.We see if you can';t stop the run your defense can get shredded.

I really feel that if this team under performs next year both donatrell and knapp could be gone.Then if Mora doesn't get things done in the next 2 yrs he could be gone also.

Mike Vick, I think we need to hold him accounntable next year.It will be his 3rd yr in the Knapp offesne and we need to take the training wheels off sooner rather than later.If Vick doesn't start producing I would seriously think about trading him after 2 more years if anyone could afford him. By producing getting to the NCF Championship.He is getting paid a king's ransom and his style of play has never led any team to a super bowl in the history of the nfl plus injury risk.The excuse of let vick be vick is ridculous.Vick being vick will shorten his career and we know that against quality defenses the vick being vick offense can't get it done.Balance is key and a strong defensne.I can't emphasize that enough DEFENSE wins championships.We must have a strong draft and sign the right people in free agency.

Nice read/post!!

I agree with almost everything posted.

I think we could use a DT like Ngata(sp) but I doubt he will be around and I feel that is the least of our priorieties. I like Babs as a DT but not as a DE.

Glad you made safties plural, we need a bunch of them. I thought Edwards might be servicable but after watching the tape he is just as bad as the rest.

I would definately move Schaub for a first or perhaps a high second depending on who is on the board. We sure could use the pick. I would also move Duckett for just about anything. He just doesn't fit in here imo.

I have done a lot of research on the three ends you listed and here are my findings to date:
Forget Mario Williams and save yourself the heartache.
Hali seems to be climbing the board and Kiwi could be slipping slightly. Hali is a former DT moved to DE. He is very strong and physical but isn't very quick off the edge. He is more of a run stuffing DE than pass rusher. He does have a "great motor" and never quits.

Michael Huff seems to also be climbing the board and could possibly be the second DB taken in the draft.

I [b]totally[\b] agree with your statement that "defense" wins championships.
I want to see what Donatell does with a secondary talented enough to press. If he continues to play soft zone I will kick him out the door myself.

One last thing. The team need to get more physical and, for lack of a better term, "meaner". We need some defensive guys that will [b]hit[\b] you! Until this happens we won't match up well against the Carolina's and Chicago's of the league. We've got to stop being known as "soft"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:44 am 

I was going to ask when we actually start to call Vick part of the problem. He has days were he is lights out; days where he is average; and days where he is horrible. Right now the average to horrible days outnumber the great spectacular days.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Vick turns out to be an average QB that can run. I think for this reason alone Schuab shouldn't be let go.

Post subject: DEfense wins championships
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:56 am 

Good to see we are on the same page for the Falcon's.Question for you denimjacket what don't you like about mario williams? Maybe the kid from boston college will slip since Hali may not be the pass rusher we need.I know I do not want to pay millions to a guy like Darren Howard who some think may come to atlanta as a free agent.Here are some thoughts:

1.Run Defense - will having the youngsters having that one more yr experience in the NFL make a difference? My opinion no,lavalias is more fat than muscle and will still get pushed around,Babs is to small,Shrop might be good or just a backup.When I watched the falcon games seemed like teams ran up the middle alot with no one stopping them.Check out the kid from louisville Montavious ??.If he is the real deal and still available round 2 15th pick take him.
2.Pass Rush - nonexistent ..has much as I want to cut brady and am sick of him being injured if we can't get a pass rusher then resign him.I would like to use a 1st on a pass rusher but again draft the best player that fills a need.If that is huff,joe thomas or some other player draft him.
3.Def backs - I think we could live with a free agent signing and high draft pick at safety.I don't like retreads but maybe we will get lucky remember Ernset Shazor last yr was the talk of the board but he never got drafted.

It would not surprise me if a quality off coordinator became available that Blank tells Mora to fire Knapp.Most teams don't use the WCO or the version we are using.You have to get the ball down field the dink-dunk is out dated.Vick I really wonder how much studying he does during the week and watching film.He doesn't chk off dbs he doesn't do the things a QB in the league thats been in the league this long should.

One other thing,Mora has got to learn to seperate himself from the players.He is to buddy buddy with them and players won't perform to standards since jimmy boy will be buddy buddy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Question for you denimjacket what don't you like about mario williams?

The fact that more than likely he will be a top 5 pick.

If Kiwi slips down to at least #10 I would trade up for him. Then trade Matt and take one of the hard hitting safties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:36 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

1. Safeties
2. O-line help (see my possible idea)
3. Defensive end
4. Depth at CB
5. Solution to RB. Is Duckett the future? If not who is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:33 pm 

This wil be in my year-end rant coming in the next hour or two but here is my needs list.

#1 -- Safety (I don't think we can expect both to be replaced with top notch replacements)
#2 -- Defensive End
#3 -- Cornerback
#4 -- Left Tackle
#5 -- Center

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Where to even start really? I say get rid of them all and start all over. I mean if no one wants to play then get rid of them. Yesterday's game was uncalled for. They just didn't play, but of course to me they haven't seemed like they have really wanted to play for a while. Anyway, here is what I think we need.

1) Safety - I agree with what was posted earlier. Did we even have any safeties this year?
2) CB - I know we need a DE and that is my next choice, but we really need to get someone to go with DH. We have to get our secondary together this offseason.
3) DE - Davis did a great job filling in thie year I would say, but like Mora said, he's a LE not a RE. We need to get someone in there for Brady Smith and this will probably be our first choice this year.
4) OL - Come on guys, block, please block.

We have a lot of work to do, but I know we'll be fine. McKay is the best there is and we do have a lot of young players who will be a lot better than next year. Anyway, it's going to be a long offseason and I do hope some changes happen to shake things up.