It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review of Youngsters by Mora
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:05 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

At AJC.com they have Mora reviewing our young players. You can find it here:
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... lcons.html

It will be interesting to me how our LB's line up next year. I know Hartwell will be in the middle with Brooking at one of the other LB positions, so who gets the 3rd one...Boley or Williams? Sounds like also there has been talk of Williams moving to safety even though Mora says it won't happen, and he mentioned the 4-4-3 defense too. You know I've looked at a lot of draft scenarios (I know it's early) and a couple of them have us taking a LB in the first round. That's insane. I think LB is the only place that looks good on D to me. I think we need to work on our secondary and get our DL back in order. We have had a lot of people playing in positions they usually won't be playing in. Anyway, it was a nice article and I just thought I would share it. Happy (Early) New Year!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:39 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

IMO, Williams is the better player, so I think that means you should keep him at linebacker. Boley and DeMo are similar players, but DeMo is more athletic, quicker, smarter, and stronger than Boley IMO. I think DeMo is the better player and thsu would be able to make a better transition to safety, but we need all the help we can get at linebacker.

I agree, LB is one of the few strengths we have on this roster. If we can keep the core 7 guys like we did this year, and get them healthy next year, it will be one of the few brightspots we have on the entire roster! My prediction for 2006 is that DeMo will begin to surpass Brooking in terms of recognition as the top playmaker on our defense. Hartwell is going to come back with a vengeance. Beck and Boley are going to be excellent backups, and Ike Reese is the consummate role player.

Drafting a LB IMO would be a wasteful move. Right now, our starting 3 positions are set: Brooking, Williams, and Hartwell. And down the road, we already have our starters: Williams, Boley, and Beck. So why draft another LB? We of course could upgrade, but short of us finding a way to afford Julian Peterson, I'm not sure that's going to happen with a rookie. There are some good rookie LBs that should be available in Round 1 that would fit (Ernie Sims or DeMeco Ryans), but why draft them when we alreayd have 3 potential Pro Bowlers at the position?

Mora's comments on Davis were interesting to me, in that it would seem that he is not looking for Chauncey to replace Brady next year if the team chooses to cut him. He's going to stay behind Kerney. Which tells me that maybe the team is definitely looking at a RDE in the draft or free agency.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:53 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah I noticed that about Davis too. I know the left end is his natural position, but he doesn't seem to have done that bad of a job this year considering the circumstances. I guess they just don't feel he can cut it on the right side. I do think out first pick this year will be a DE unless we can get a good safety or CB wherever we pick. I like the guy out of TX, but don't know who else would be a good fit in the first for us while I do think there will be a few good DE would could go after.

I just hope Hartwell will come back with a vengeance like you said. I was really looking forward to him playing this year. Of course I hope Donatel uses him correctly when he does come back too. I don't know if he was being used right when he was playing. I mean there were a lot of plays where he was on the sidelines, and I know we didn't pick him up for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:02 pm 

Our linebacking unit is ridiculous assuming Hartwell comesback better then ever and Beck is all we thought he would be. Even without those tow guys the linebacking unit (outside of pass coverage in the middle) was lights out. Certainly we do not need to address linebacker in the draft maybe one free agent signing but this unit is locked down.

Everyone caught the notes about Chauncey Davis but the one that stood out to me was Shropshire. It seems that Mora would be happy with a Lavalais, Coleman, Babs, and Shrop rotation assuming Shrop can get into the playing shape that Mora wants. Clearly at least in Mora's mind the defensive line is set save for an RDE. I wouldn't be surprised to see that is were our #1 pick goes this year depending upon how it goes.

I do think if necessary Demorrio Williams can do what Michael Boulware did for Seattle as far as transitioning over to Safety. I wouldn't be against moving DeMo over to FS (since FS in this system plays the roll of the SS) especially with fairly positive play out of Michael Boley. Of course DeMo might be a touch slow to play safety fulltime. Certainly both Boley & Williams can play just about anywhere they want outside of corner a defensive tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If my memory serves me DeMo ran in the low 4.5's coming out of college.....that's fast enough to play safety....I wouldn't want him back in coverage to much, but he would contribute as nasty, hard hitting safety....it's an interesting idea at least....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I would say keep D-Mo at linebacker. He could use a little more time at the table and in the weight room but I would rather address the safety position with a couple of vets and a rookie or two in the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:12 pm 

Yes, both Boely and DeMo have sub 4.6 speed, which is about on par with most top safeties in the draft. Besides Hall, I wouldn't be at all surprised if DeMo is the fastest player on our defense. He can play safety, but that basically is a move out of desperation. Ideally, both he and Boley can stay at LB.

I agree with Mora, that I'm not too concerned about our DT situation. I think Lavalais is a good player, I think Shrop, Lake, and Babs all showed flashes of being solid players this year. The problem is none of those guys (even Coleman) were consistent at all. Adding some consistency to their game (which usually comes with experience) is the only real ingredient IMO that is necessary for us to have a solid DT rotation.

I know we were soft in the middle this year but one of the things I noticed in the 2nd half vs. the 1st half of the year, were that most of the big runs against us were on the outside. Usually like an offtackle, where the DE (Babs or Davis) was caught out of position and couldn't contain the runner, and they broke a lot run. OUr DTs stepped up their play in the 2nd half IMO, so getting a big run stuffer in the middle is not a need. NOw if there is a quality DT in the draft, I say draft him. But it's not a lack of size that I think is hurting us, it's youth and a lack of consistency.

I think the biggest key on defense is addressing the DE position, the nickel cornerback, and safety. Everything else can wait a year or two to be addressed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My opinion of the youngsters
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:27 pm 

If I had to summarize the rookies performance this it would be par for the course.Boley i think will be a quality linebacker,Babs I still have question marks on and don't think he can be an effective def tackle sine he is to small.Lavalais I am sorry but he has convinced me that he will never be the run stuffer we need to shut down other team's running games.Shrop, he does need more playing time but at this point you can't expect him to be a run stuffer that this defense needs to get back to even being an averagbe defense.Shrop has the most potential out of Babs.Lavalias and lake.

I am concerned that if we allow the youngsters to play and guve them the def tackle job I don't think they have the talent to be the effective tackle we need alongside colemean to be an elite defesne.The free agent market we are going to need to pay an arm and leg for a guy like Orpheus Roye and at this point don't think we can afford even him.The best way to fix the def tackle position is perhaps draft one in the second round,Montavious ?? out of louisville could be the guy.I don't know alot about him but if he is farily big then we need some size.I hate the kind of defense mckay is building one that is undersized and has the corners playing back giving up tons of yardage.Smash mouth football is what we need.

D Williams makes alot of mental erros when it comes to tackling and I am not sure is suited for safety.I would rather get a safety that has already played the position.I hope Beck can do something this defense needs a pickup.Maybe he could be tried at strong safety but he needs an opportunity to see what he can do.

LOverall,you can't depend on rookies and since we had so many injuries they were forcred to play.They should be much better next year but I wouldn't bet the farm on them being the producers we need to be an elite defesne.

Profile E-mail