It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost 2 months of boredom
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:15 pm 

I don't know about anyone else but with the Falcons out of the playoffs the next two months just got very, very, very, boring for myself. I catch some playoff games but without Atlanta in there it doesn't much matter to me. The first day that any real moves will be made won't be until Februrary 8th when teams can designate franchise tags and then the 23rd when they can sign designated players to contracts. Sure there might be a few cuts but I doubt there will be many.

Just an FYI for everyone... Upcoming important dates:

February 8th: Teams may designated franchise tags
February 22nd: Deadline for franchise tags
February 23rd: Teams may make contract offers for tagged players
February-March 1st: NFL Combine in Indy
March 1st: Teams do not need to grant permission to another club to discusses coaching positions (Knapp or Donatell anyone?); all player contracts expire for 05; deadline for options; deadline for minimum tenders on EFA players.
March 2nd: Free Agency begins; trading period begins
March 16th: Deadline for franchise players to be signed.
March 21st: Off-season conditioning begins
April 2nd: NFL Europe begins *collective, 'whatever' occours*
April 15th: Deadline for offer sheets to RFA's
April 23rd-24th: NFL Draft
May 16th: First day rookies may participate in mini camps
June 1st: Cap Cutting Day! Yay :)
Mid-July: Camps Re-Open once again.

Me thinks this is going to be a slow and very boring offseason for the Falcons. If you need any help with the cap figures let me know Cappy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:00 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I didn't think there was a June 1, deadline this year because of the fact that there is no cap in 2007. Any player cut between now and the end of this season results in a cap hit only in 2006, rather than being spread out for 2 years like it would normally happen if a player is released after June 1.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:35 pm 

We'd have to get Cappy to confirm or deny this possibility. I was assuming that the cap will operate as always and/or a deal would be reached during the team meetings (hopefully!).

I suppose you could see it as optimissim in regards to the CBA getting extended or agreed upon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 pm 

Jeff Reynolds of PFW wrote this in a column about 3 weeks ago:
Quote:
June 1 has no significance. Clubs are able to cut players from their roster on or after June 1 to delay any salary-cap hit to the following league year. For example, Kurt Warner was released by St. Louis after June 1, 2004. Even though he later signed with and played for the Giants in ’04, Warner counted almost $7 million — the amortized portion of his contract — against the Rams’ salary cap this season because he was cut after June 1. This coming March, because there is no salary cap in ’07, any player a club releases will result in an immediate cap hit.

You can see the rest of his write-up here: http://falcfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1043

But I do agree with you, the off-season can be particularly boring. Particularly between May and July, and especially so if it's true that June 1 will have no significance this off-season.

It's been especially boring in the past few years because the Falcons haven't been big players in free agency. Really, the last time we went out with the mindset of getting a bevy of players was back in 2002, when we were transitioning from a Chandler/Jamal led team to a Vick/Dunn led team, and getting guys that would fit in Wade's 3-4 defense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:42 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd be shocked if the CBA wasn't extended before the draft to be honest. We'll do our best to keep it interesting around here anyways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:23 pm 

I wouldn't suspect any extensions until the annual owners summit and if it isn't extended then we are probably headed to an uncapped season. Should be an interesting offseason in that respect.