It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chuck Smith on 790 The Zone was talking about....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

when Alex Brown sat on Vick & nobody came to help Vick. He said Michael Strahan called him & asked him why the hell nobody came to help Vick there & why nobody on this team ever stands up for Vick when guys are flapping their gums at him & taking cheap shots on him. I thought it was an interesting segment & explained a lot of the problems we have on offense & in general.

Post subject: Re: Chuck Smith on 790 The Zone was talking about....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:28 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The_Incomparable wrote:
when Alex Brown sat on Vick & nobody came to help Vick. He said Michael Strahan called him & asked him why the hell nobody came to help Vick there & why nobody on this team ever stands up for Vick when guys are flapping their gums at him & taking cheap shots on him. I thought it was an interesting segment & explained a lot of the problems we have on offense & in general.

I don't remember Brown sitting on him, but usually when we're winning, they help him more. However the bench usually helps him more, cuz he runs to the side, and falls sometiems out of bounds, and they are right there...everyone...to help him up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Thats exactely what I was thinking, hell even the ref was just standing there like, heh.

However, I do remember Vicks first game back after breaking his ankle (vs. the panthers) and our OL was fighting anyone who came even a foot within Vick. I think we even got some flags because of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:57 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I remember that. Brown hit Vick when he jumped in the air, rolled over and sat on Vick for like 3 or 4 seconds. An OL did come running over eventually, but I don't know if his lateness was because he failed to see that Brown was sitting on him or that he was coming from so far away.

I was a bit shocked that Brown didn't get decked for that. Normally, our guys tend to do a pretty good job sticking up for Vick. I'll let it slide, since I think the cold sort of sapped our fighting spirit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:29 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

vickisthebest wrote:
Thats exactely what I was thinking, hell even the ref was just standing there like, heh.

However, I do remember Vicks first game back after breaking his ankle (vs. the panthers) and our OL was fighting anyone who came even a foot within Vick. I think we even got some flags because of it.

That, to me, shows a lot of support for Vick. They realized what they were without him, and didn't want it to happen again. Plus it was against the Panthers(at home..?)So it was very emotional...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:09 pm 

Our guys have gotten pretty good about standing up for Vick. I actually remember Brown stumbling when he got up and then sat on Vick. It is nothing that can be flagged because it was clearly unintentional.

I don't think it's a big deal IMO. I would have liked someone to get in his face; even Vick. But it was an accident the way I saw it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well when Michael Strahan is calling Chuck Smith, both DE's in the NFL currently & formerly, and asking him wtf is up with; I'm gonna have to value their opinion over anyone else's. Both of them were like WTF and they PLAYED THAT POSITION, think about it. Vick may have done this to himself, but I'm gonna tell you that we would be 5-11 without Vick regardless of what people may think. Maybe these players need to be reminded of how completely horrid they are without Vick in there, which is what made them jump the Panthers in that game Vick came back in 2003.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:08 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

The_Incomparable wrote:
when Alex Brown sat on Vickl.

I could not believe my eyes and wanted to reach through the TV and 'remove' him myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:04 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The_Incomparable wrote:

I do recall at the beginning of the game, right after Vick got nailed by Urlacher, no one really came to help him up, and when he did manage to get up, him and Urlacher were talking sh!t, with 3 or 4 Bears backing Urlacher upand no Falcon's backing Vick up, all the Falcons we're going back to the huddle...sad :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:25 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

mickvick302 wrote:
The_Incomparable wrote:

I do recall at the beginning of the game, right after Vick got nailed by Urlacher, no one really came to help him up, and when he did manage to get up, him and Urlacher were talking sh!t, with 3 or 4 Bears backing Urlacher upand no Falcon's backing Vick up, all the Falcons we're going back to the huddle...sad :(

Yeah we're in dire need of some linemen who are big & nasty & have a serious attitude problem. You always hear about linemen who have a nasty disposition & how it is necessary, but we just don't seem to have those guys. Crumpler is the only one who comes close & even he is starting to not be that guy. There needs to be some philosophy changes with this team more than anything honestly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:47 am 

Forney is a bit nasty. Lehr comes off to me as a bit nastier than the rest of our guys, but it may be just that giant tatoo on his left arm.

We do need to get guys with a nastier disposition than we currently have. It was one of the reasons many on this board wanted us to go after Khalif Barnes last April. His past as a DL makes him a bit meaner and tougher than most OLs.

We need to get some of our defense's swagger on the offense. Becuase you're right only really Vick, Crumpler, and maybe Duckett and Forney have it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:53 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The_Incomparable wrote:
mickvick302 wrote:
The_Incomparable wrote:

Yeah we're in dire need of some linemen who are big & nasty & have a serious attitude problem. You always hear about linemen who have a nasty disposition & how it is necessary, but we just don't seem to have those guys. Crumpler is the only one who comes close & even he is starting to not be that guy. There needs to be some philosophy changes with this team more than anything honestly...

Yeah, our line reminds me of a bunch of stuffed animals...teddy bears or something

Except for Forney, he can get nasty at times

Usually when I think of a nasty line-men, they are big. But with Vick, we can't have big slow lineman...The Broncos are a perfect example of what we need...small, fast, good lineman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:37 am 

mickvick302 wrote:
The Broncos are a perfect example of what we need...small, fast, good lineman

I agree whole-heartedly. The Broncos have shown the way that we can build an excellent OL with the types of guys we have. Just we need to get better ones. I think there are plenty of guys out there to get, we just need to pick through them and find the gems. And one of the benefits of having a good teacher like Gibbs is that you don't have to spend tons of $$$ on these or forced to use a #1 or #2 draft pcik on these additions (although it helps).

Now, I'd like to see teh Falcons use an early pick on an OL, but it's not necessary. Looking at how this draft is setting up and at last year's, I think this team can find quality OL that fit the scheme in Rounds 3 & 4. Unfortunately, after ROund 4, the likelihood we can find a guy that can immediately come in and compete for a job is low.

I think competition is the key for now. We don't need to replace guys, but I think if guys are fighting for their jobs in camp, looking over their shoulder, they are either going to step up, or step out. Thus far, only Lehr has competed for his job, and Mookie Moore is not real competition. Mookie Moore would start on ZERO NFL teams, and only started here because that's how bad our line was prior to 2005. We need guys that can push the starters. I don't like replacing OL because it breaks up continuity.

A player that comes onto the team working with the #2 unit, but through mini camps and training camps, fights his way up to earn a job on the starting lineup is much more likely to fit right in with continuity than someone you just signed/drafted in the offseason and handed a starting job to and told the other starters, learn to play with this guy.

So I think if the Falcons can sign 1 or 2 decent free agents and draft 1 or 2 guys in the first 4 rounds that can come in and push for starting spots, that's defintiely a step in the right direction. Even if they don't replace guys, I believe some progress will/should be made because guys will have to step up in camp to keep their jobs. I think it would foolhardy to think we can sign/draft 1 guy this offseason that is going to make this unit into one a good one.

We have a decent foundation with our front 5. We are the #1 rushing taem and there has been significant improvement in pass protection from 2004 to 2005. But we need to build upon this.

Profile E-mail