It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mora: Vick to play despite minimal practices
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:42 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Courtesy ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2257921

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora remained optimistic Tuesday that the bruised ribs quarterback Michael Vick suffered Monday night will not keep him out of Sunday's game at Chicago.

Michael Vick
Quarterback
Atlanta Falcons

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
305 170 1880 13 10 76.6

Mora said Vick should play against the Bears, even if he is held out of most of this week's practice schedule.

"Mike is typically a fast healer," Mora said Tuesday. "At this point in the season, he's basically seen everything he's going to see and practiced everything he needs to practice. I think he could get mental reps and still perform fine. The key is to get him as healthy as possible for Sunday night."

Vick said he suffered the injury in the Falcons' 36-17 win over the New Orleans Saints when he tackled Jason Craft following Craft's second-quarter interception.

"I landed on the guy's foot and right on my ribs," Vick said.

After taking several hits, Vick left the game midway through the fourth quarter.

"I took the last shot and kind of fell on it and aggravated it a little bit, but I'm all right," Vick said after the game.

Mora said with "the stakes being what they are," there are no current plans to hold Vick out this week.

Vick said he is "very confident" he will play this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

doesn't surprise me one bit. it's reminiscent of him playing with that bad shoulder a couple of years ago. if his legs are okay then he's gonna play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

He'll play, but if he sucks it up, then I think Schaubby will be put in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:28 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i hope ur right, but i think they'll only pull him if it's his ribs messing him up. if he's just sucking it up which he does sometimes, mora will keep him in there as he's done in the past. maybe if he stinks it up mora can use that as an excuse to pull him but i doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Sounds a lot like the same things he said leading up to the Patriots game. I'm sure this is going to be a gameday decision.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:10 pm 

Pudge wrote:
Sounds a lot like the same things he said leading up to the Patriots game. I'm sure this is going to be a gameday decision.

Ditto... Mora used this once before and he got a lot of crap from the Media, Patriots, and even the league. I wouldn't be surprised that he use it again if he thinks Vick will be out.

If Vick does start he'll be on a short leash which is more of negative then it is a positive. IMO we should go with Schuab this week. He's proven enough to me to make me feel comfortable with him starting in a clutch game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't believe a word that comes out of Mora's mouth when it comes to injuries....I think we won't know for sure who is starting until Sunday night....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:40 am 

I don't think Mora will be as inclined as he was before the Pats game to keep Vick on the sideline. Not when Vick has played very well in 5 of his past 6 games, which was far from the truth back then.

I agree, if he can play, Vick will. But I think vs. the Bears, a less than 100% Vick is going to hurt us more than say 80% of VIck is going to help us.

Rumors are that Mora didn't notify Vick that he wasn't playing until that morning before the Pats game. My theory on that if it's true is Mora feared what the Pats defense would do to a less than healthy Vick. Those fears may have been a bit misguided, but I don't think they would be with the Bears defense at home in a hostile environment (crowd & weather).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

You guys know I am Vick's biggest supporter & I hate watching us without him, but I think this may be a terrific chance to pump up Schaub's value. I say we start him & keep Vick as the backup for this game in case Schaub is stinking up the joint. Also, it would give everyone an out as to why we don't make the playoffs.................lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:46 pm 

The_Incomparable wrote:
You guys know I am Vick's biggest supporter & I hate watching us without him, but I think this may be a terrific chance to pump up Schaub's value. I say we start him & keep Vick as the backup for this game in case Schaub is stinking up the joint. Also, it would give everyone an out as to why we don't make the playoffs.................lol

I wouldn't be too concerned about pumping up players trade values until the Falcons are mathamatically eleminated from the playoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vick's gonna play. i don't care what the speculation regarding mora's keeping the opposing team in the dark (i actually think that's B.S.) and all this stuff regarding a gametime decision. he's gonna play. question becomes how long he can stay gameworthy.