How About Roddy?

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

dirtybirdnw

How About Roddy?

Postby dirtybirdnw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:21 pm

Talk about Circus Catch & Mr. Clutch! I still can't believe he caught that deep ball and walked in for the touchdown. It looks like Roddy White is the real deal. All he needs is the ball more often.

Roddy: 2 Catches for 65 Yards (32.5 YPC) and a touchdown (Long of 54)

Alge Crumpler finally woke up from his slumber in the receiving department also.

Crumpler: 3 Catches for 95 Yards (31.3 YPC) with a long of 48
Fear the BEARD!

RdHdBirdFan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How About Roddy?

Postby RdHdBirdFan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:43 pm

dirtybirdnw wrote: It looks like Roddy White is the real deal.

I think White and Jenkins could do well if the offense were properly designed to that end.

I also think they'd catch more passes if Vick could *consistently* throw the soft-touch pass. He can throw lasers with the best of them, but not the soft kind of pass. For example, Mike most likely couldn't have thrown the pass Schaub completed last night for the long gain.

Dennis

mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker

Re: How About Roddy?

Postby mickvick302 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:08 pm

dirtybirdnw wrote:Talk about Circus Catch & Mr. Clutch! I still can't believe he caught that deep ball and walked in for the touchdown. It looks like Roddy White is the real deal. All he needs is the ball more often.

Roddy: 2 Catches for 65 Yards (32.5 YPC) and a touchdown (Long of 54)

Alge Crumpler finally woke up from his slumber in the receiving department also.

Crumpler: 3 Catches for 95 Yards (31.3 YPC) with a long of 48

It helped that the DB's ran into eachother, but this kid is as athletic as they come. You can tell that he is out there to prove more than anything. Prove to us fans that he is our future. That stick's out most to me. He hustles, goes after everything, and isn't afraid of a hit. He is trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves. This kid's got good hands, speed, and size. From what I read, he is also a class act, but I could be wrong here. Hopefully, with the 50+ yarder he caught, it will make Knapp at least TRY and go deep more, now that he realizes(hopefully) that Vick has a good deepball, and now he has a deep threat in Roddy.
"It's a privilege to wear this winged helmet," English says. "It's about Michigan today. Show everyone why this is the best program in the country!"

buddyboy
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby buddyboy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:02 pm

it was a very impressive catch. he's shown that he can catch it in traffic which is great. talk about a school yard play, vick pretty much just chunked it. it was lucky as hell too, but a catch is a catch. i just wish vick could get it to him more often. if he's got single coverage i wish they'd go downtown a couple of times.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:31 am

I don't remember who said it, but I think someone made the comment back in August or September that they believed Roddy could be a #1 receiver. I'm not ready to proclaim Roddy an elite receiver, but he is turning into the type of WR we need.

A few months ago when our WRs sucked, I thought this was a team that wouldn't be able to go to a Super Bowl until it had a Chad Johnson-caliber guy lining up outside.

But since I've changed my mind since the lightbulb has finally seemed to come on in Vick's head in running the offense, and guys like Finneran, Jenkins, and White made significant strides to keep up with Vick.

Now, I don't think we need a Pro Bowler at wide receiver, but a guy that can consistently get open and be a reliable target on 3rd downs and also capable of making big plays. Neither White or Jenkins are quite there yet, but they are starting to show that ability. Jenkins is looking like the underneath possession guy that I thought he could develop into when we drafted him (although I still don't think he'll quite ever live up to being a 1st round WR), and White is the playmaker that can stretch the field and hurt defenses.

They aren't there yet of course, but looking at the improvements they've made between September and now, one has to wonder with great anticipation what they'll be doing in December 2006.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:08 pm

I posted an article sometime ago about Roddy White and I think it was Scouts Inc. opinion. They essentially stated that Roddy White could be the next coming of Terrell Owens if he wanted to be. Roddy could become a very a good second or an elite receiver. It's just a question of how hard he wants to work.
Fear the BEARD!

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:10 pm

I hope all of us are right with our hopes in Roddy....he has shown a couple flashes of brilliance...the 50 yarder was a great catch...he does seem like a hard worker, he hasn't opened his mouth to complain that I've heard of either...seems like a good find on McKay's part....

what makes me even happier is that Roddy is making these strides coming from a small college with no real competition...it usually takes the guys from smaller schools longer to catch on but Roddy isn't doing all that bad...

here's to hoping we have spent out last 1rst round pick on a wr for a while!!!

mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby mickvick302 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Here's to Knapp throwing the long ball more
"It's a privilege to wear this winged helmet," English says. "It's about Michigan today. Show everyone why this is the best program in the country!"

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:39 pm

I don't remember who said it, but I think someone made the comment back in August or September that they believed Roddy could be a #1 receiver.

I'll take credit for that. I projected that Rowdy and Jenkins would be starting by years end, actually I thought by by week 8, but better late than never.

I took a lot of flak form the some on this board, but it's all good. Like I said a long time ago, White and Jenkins are the bookends for Vick for a long time to come and that isn't a bad thing.

Return to “The Huddle”