It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Identity Crisis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:34 pm 

A few observations from the game last night as I watched it in quasi-fast forward after class.

#1 - What is our identity? The Falcons have slowly been working more pass plays into the game. The only reason why our run total was up last night was due to a few broken plays where Vick ran as well as attempts to run the clock down. Otherwise I saw more passing out of this team then I have for awhile. Also, what the hell was up with passing on 2nd & Goal on the 2 and again on 3rd & Goal? We have a reallllllyyyy big runningback called TJ Duckett. This is were you use him.

#2 - Stupid penalties. We should have won that game something closer to 50-10. But a moronic penality by DeMo erased a Hall interception return for a TD. Then on Hall's best return of the night McAdam threw a block in the back (which was called about 3 to 4 times last night). Not only that but Falcon penalties kept the last minute drive by the Saints alive so they could score.

#3 - Defensive and soft coverage. Why are we always playing soft coverage? Everytime we went soft Brooks was about to get 5 to 8 yard out plays left and right. Not only that but the biggest runs of the night came from the Falcons going to soft coverage. This team can't play soft when they don't have maulers in the middle (Ed Hartwell anyone? otherwise rushers will be getting 5+ yards per carry. Once again bad tackling was a major issue... Although Hall finally managed to come up with a ball by trying to rip it away instead of tackling. It was nice but we gave up about 60 points trying to knock the ball loose instead of tackling vs. one turnover. We need to stop doing this.

#4 - DeLo is way to amped up for his own good. He darn near got penality flags for getting into scuffles with Saints players. I like that he plays with a chip on his shoulder but I hate that he does stupid things AFTER the play.

#5 - Did Vick really need to be in when he got clobbered and knocked out of the game? We had the game in hand and for the most part only needed to hand the ball off. Sounds like a job for Schuab to me! We have 3 critical games left and an injured Vick does us no good. When we are up 2 scores inside the final half of the 4th quarter it is time for Mr. Vick to sit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

dirtybirdnw wrote:
#3 - Defensive and soft coverage. Why are we always playing soft coverage?

I agree. This defense is at its best when it's aggressive. There's no reason to go soft for the rest of the year. Muhammad is the Bears only receiver, and Hall can lock him up. He locked up Galloway, and I don't think he'll be so easily fooled by Smith a second time around. I also think Webster is better when is allowed to be more aggressive. Giving up the 8 yard catches so you don't give up the 30 yarders is fine and dandy when you're going up against the Colts, Bengals, or Patriots, but not against these teams. I want Donatell to be more aggressive in these final 3 games. He needs to lay it all on the line. The Falcons are on the outside looking in, so he really has nothing to lose.

Quote:
#4 - DeLo is way to amped up for his own good. He darn near got penality flags for getting into scuffles with Saints players. I like that he plays with a chip on his shoulder but I hate that he does stupid things AFTER the play.

I agree 150%. There is a fine line between played amped and being stupid. It's just a personal foul waiting to happen that is going to cost us a game. He shouldn't dial down his intensity, but he just needs to be smarter about it.

I noticed a play last night, where there was a play to the sideline, and Hall was pursuing, didn't make the tackle, but while in pursuit, Jammal Brown gave him a small push in his back. Hall of course turned and gave Brown a shove. Of course, it didn't look like much because it would be hard for Hall to move a guy as big as Brown with a one-handed shove. But it's that kind of stuff that just is totally unnecesary and stupid.

Every time you get a slight push or one of your teammates does, doesn't mean you have to go in and start throwing punches. You would think by some of his reactions that he just started playing football and realized guys may give other guys an elbow or a small shove after a play. It's not worth getting ejected from the game, giving the team a 1st down and 15 yards, and also taking away our defense's best playmaker.

My only hope is that we can make it through the season without a costly penalty and that someone is going to sit him down and say, "Hey stop playing stupid!" But to be honest, I don't suspect that will ever happen. Mora seems to like things just the way they are, and just like he is always "Let Vick be Vick" he'll be "Let DeAngelo be DeAngelo."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:53 pm 

Pudge wrote:
I noticed a play last night, where there was a play to the sideline, and Hall was pursuing, didn't make the tackle, but while in pursuit, Jammal Brown gave him a small push in his back. Hall of course turned and gave Brown a shove. Of course, it didn't look like much because it would be hard for Hall to move a guy as big as Brown with a one-handed shove. But it's that kind of stuff that just is totally unnecesary and stupid.

That is the play that I saw when I decided to note DeLo's penchant for doing dumb things after the play. I closed my eyes and started thinking "please no flag; please, please, please." I think a lot of it has to do with DeLo thinking he gets no respect and/or he's getting disrespected. But he needs to focus that energy on tackling and coverage. If he could that he could be Champ Bailey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i was actually going to wait a few days and just enjoy the win before i ranted about the really dumb mistakes and donatells penchant to play soft as slime. but since you mention it, that last drive by the saints to end the half was a true disgrace to all that is football. playing that incredibly soft, giving receivers 10-15 yards right at the sideline, even al michaels had something to say. not to mention playing 3 men up front on 3rd and long. didn't donatell learn from his green bay firing?
this team needs some more discipline, demos personal foul that erased halls touchdown was truly greivous though otherwise he played a good game. i keep seeing stupid penalties that didn't happen last year or earlier in the season and it's gonna end up costing us a game and potential wild card birth.
i think we made 2 first downs the entire game. i blame knapp. when it's 3rd and short, u've got to run, even if that means calling a passing play and telling vick to run and slide if he can get it that way. throwing the ball 10-15 down field is playing way up against percentages when u can get vick to scamper for 1 or 2 yards.
i can't tell if the shut out in the second half was them or us really. if they had ran it up the gut more, which they had great success at, who knows what would have happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't mind a true bend don't break defense...the problem is we are not playing one...that last drive of the second half we had our corners playing 15 yards off the ball....that crap won't work...the idea of a bend don't break is to allow the underneath stuff but not allow a first down....they were getting first downs on every play...

and DeLo is to amped up but I think he's just being young and stupid...he'll calm down with some time, but don't expect it to be this season...I agree it's hurtful and ignorant most of the time, but he's gonna do it so I guess we just have to sort of get used to it until he grows up.

and we are passing way to much at this point...I was one of the people ranting about we need to pass more earlier in the season, but I think we are getting a little to pass happy at this point....I don't like throwing the ball on first down...we don't usually complete it and 2nd and 10 is a lot worse than 2 and 7....