It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:27 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

it also shows how bad their offense is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Steve-O wrote:
it also shows how bad their offense is....

Well...

...underdeveloped might be a more accurate term. :oops: But da Bears O definitely has plenty of room for improvement... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think this was a very poorly managed game by our coaching staff. So many mistakes, easy to point out in hindsight yes, and that's something I don't like to do, but some of it is things that we here have said on this board leading up to this game, and it just seems that the coaching staff didn't get it tonight. If they had made these changes, would it have meant the Falcons would have won the game? Maybe, maybe not. Lemme first say I didn't expect the Falcosn to win, but I expected it to be close, but it was not.

My thoughts:

1. Why are we so conservative defensively. Why wasn't DOnatell blitzing Orton/Grossman every down. There is no way I'm not going to bring the heat with 7 or 8 pass rushers every down if I'm Donatell. If I'm the Falcons DC, I see very little in Orton that makes me believe that with his past performances and the weather situation he is going to make me pay for blitzing. Not to mention that our CBs PROVED just as most of us suspected that they could lock down the Bears receivers when allowed to be aggressive and actually play them man to man. The Bears only managed to move the ball in the air it seems when our corners played off. To me, our team has just too poor a job tackling for all this off coverage. Let Hall and Webster do what they do best and gamble. Make some plays. This team has been at the point for the past few weeks that they can't hold anything back. I've been extremely frustrated with Donatell these past few games.

2. I know I'm in the small minority, but I don't think the Jenkins/fumble/INT was a bad call by the refs. I don't think there was enough evidence to say it was a ground caused fumble or whatever.

3. Why is Justin Griffith returning kicks? For the life of me, I don't understand this. You have DeAndra Cobb on the roster, and he's not returning kicks? I've been a long-time believer that if you have a player on your active roster, there has to be some niche for him. Don't just keep him there just because you like having 3 RBs in practice. If you're going to deactivate a player every game, he shouldn't be on the roster. The 53 guys on your roster should be set up every week so that it is very difficult for the coach to decide which 7 players to sit besides the #3 QB. I can understand perfectly if DeCamillis/Mora are concerned with Cobb's abilities on ST coverage or to hold onto the football on returns. But if that's the case, why isn't he on the practice squad? Why can't we fill his roster spot with something that you aren't AFRAID to play???!!!

4. Great call by Greg Knapp to give the ball to Duckett on that 4th and 1. Does that sort of brilliance just come naturally?

5. Benching Bryan Scott I understand, but lining up Antuan Edwards over slot receivers instead of Scott to me is just being thick-headed. Edwards is a run stopping safety. What makes the coaching staff believe he has the ability to cover WRs like a cornerback? Maybe Scott is no better when it gets down to it, but I'd trust his abilities more since he has 2 years of playing CB at a major college and 0.5 years in the NFL. What does Edwards have? ZERO.

I'm extremely frustrated with this loss. It's not to say I blame it on the coaching staff exclusively. Everybody needed to make plays, and for the most part none of them did (I would exclude Dunn and Koenen from that statement). But I think the coaching staff did a terrible job executing what I believed was a weak gameplan and some poor coaching decisions leading up to this week and past weeks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:06 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I'm frustrated too.

Regarding Cobb, I thought I read somewhere that he wasn't on the active roster for the game (didn't need another RB and didn't want to take up the spot for only return position). I might have misread that though.

I agree with your defensive philosophy. If there is a rookie QB, you have to force the rookie mistakes. Obviously, Grossman was much more effective on 3rd downs, and blitzing would be a gamble when he came into the game.

Regarding the Jenkins INT, it was the right call with the rules. But its hard to understand it not being a catch and down by contact when the receiver had control of the ball, was hit by the defender (with control of the ball), hit the ground (where he lost control of the ball), and the ball flies into the defenders hands for an INT. The ground caused the ball to come loose. The player wouldn't have hit the ground if he hadn't been hit by the defender (similar to the forced out of bounds rule w/o 2 feet in). If he didn't cough up the ball, it would obviously been a reception with him being down when his fanny hit the ground. Anyway, tough break. Tough interpretation of the rules.

I don't like to second guess playcalling, but I agree. I remember Reeves doing the same thing at the goalline (running Dunn or Duckett on a failed dive play 3 straight times).

I put the blame for the game on the coaches (I'm getting sick of the philosophy of a smaller/quicker offensive line), Vick for not connecting on the short routes (he is horrible in this department. He has the best yards per catch ratio of anyone since he's been in the league because he can't control the ball when he takes anything off of it), the O Line for not protecting Vick (with bad pass blocking, the only thing left to throw are short routes). The defense played well enough to win this game (probably because the CHI offense is that bad). But even the D had some breakdowns (3rd down conversions for Grossman, no contain on cutbacks from Jones).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I may be the only person who thinks this but I didn't mind running the ball again on 4th and one....I just think we should have at least run a differant run play....all year when we've been in a position like that we've thrown the ball and I think this was a case of our coaches just thinking to much about it....

my whole outlook on the defense goes like this...if you rush four and drop seven and they complete passes with ease then how is it any more of a risk to rush seven and drop four...I mean they are moving the ball when we have everyone in coverage then why in the hell shouldn't we blitz everyone, it's not like the outcome is gonna be any worse....