It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons interested in Plex?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:43 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Someone told me the other day that he had heard that the Falcons were interested in PLaxico "Plex" Burress. I didn't try to corraborate the story, but I just wanted to get other's thoughts on the matter.

Although I grade Burress as the top WR in this year's FA class, I think he would be a very wasteful signing for this team.

Excuse the language, but after watching him the past 3 years up here in Pittsburgh, he should change his name to "Vagico" Burress because he's a big pussy. There's really no other way to say it.

He's soft. Classic example of a guy that has monster amount of talent, but never lives up to it. People look at a pretty solid year he had this year, but forget how awful he was in 2003. He drops a lot of balls, and yes occasionally he makes some big plays and great catches, he's just too inconsistent and disappears from games. This sounds an awful like a current Falcon wearing #81 doesn't it?

I think that the Falcons don't have to go out and get a WR the caliber of Eric Moulds to get Price's play to step up, and a #2 guy like Burress would be helpful. But considering Burress is in the same boat as Price, in that without Hines Ward, he will struggle mightily, then having these 2 players would not be worth it.

If the Falcons really are intent on making a move to improve their WR corps, I'd rather them take a risk on Koren Robinson. Robinson too is an underachiever, but has at least for year performed like a #1 receiver. Burress never has and never will. Or the Falcons could try to swing a trade for Derrick Mason of the Titans. Mason may be cut this off-season and if so, the Falcons should really go after him. Mason is a #1 receiver, and although he's declining (age 31), I think he can still have 3-5 more productive years as a starter. Or the Falcons should give up a #2 or #3 for Rod Gardner. Gardner is a guy that I consider a solid #2 and would be an upgrade over White & Finneran. He's no star, but his size should help our wide receiver corps a lot.

But bottom line, I don't think we'll really see results out of our WR corps until a guy like Jenkins or another draft pick comes in and steps it up. I suspect 2005 will be Price's last year here unless he really turns it on, and then we'll again be starting from scratch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:52 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No to Koren. He has been kind of like Randy Moss Lite in Seattle, hasn't he? Rather than pay serious bucks for a FA WR I would like to see what Jenins can do. Call me crazy but I think Finn and Jenkins could be as productive as Dez and Peerless were this year. Finn makes plays, plain and simple. It seems to me that when I watch film of the falcons playing that guys give up on their routes or don't adjust much when Vick gets in scramble mode. I've always thought they shoudl do as they were coached to do with George and head down feild when he scrambles. He's got th earm to heave it down there and in additon it would clear out the feidl underneath if he decides to run. Probably over simplistic but beats a sit down route like they often seem to do.

Post subject: No big contracts for underproducers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:40 pm 

The last thing the falcon's should do is go out and sign a recevier because he has potential which is yet to be realized because of poor work ethic.Why not look at a trade for Josh Reed ? Trades rarely happen but in this offense I think a recevier who runs great routes would be better than a guy that can stretch the field since Knapp's offense seems to restrict long passes.A few years ago we were arguing over David Boston or Price both turned out as busts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:00 pm 

I agree about Robinson somewhat, but I would say that going after him may be a smarter move than signing a turd like Burress. Robinson's contract runs out after 2005. If he turns out to be no better in ATL than he was in SEA, then you can't let him walk away no strings attached after the season. If he does play well, then you can sign him to an extension. The only sticking point is how much compensation the Seahawks would want for him. The highest I see is a 2nd round pick, since they know that no team will give up a #1 for him. But if Robinson could be had for a 3rd rounder or less, I'd be willing to make the move. Not saying I would do it, but I'd at least be interested.

I think people put too much emphasis on Price and not on the guys that I think are weaker links: Finneran and White. Sure, occasionally both made plays but I think both are overglorified backups. Finneran had success this year because I think he was in a backup's role and thus faced lesser competition. It's similar to what we saw with Quentin McCord a few years back. As a #3 when he was facing crappy nickel backs, he had awesome games. But when he stepped into the lineup as a starter for a few games, he was a complete no-show. I think Finneran and White's production would increase if both were in the roles of #3 or #4 wideouts.

Yes, Price has underachieved a lot, and I'm not about to give him a free pass for it, but I think White and Finneran are the guys that aren't starters. Price at least before arriving in Atlanta proved he was a capable starter and tehre have been a few instances where he's shown he can start. I don't think that it's a coincidence that Price had season highs in catches in the final two games when Schaub was in at QB.

Who's fault it is does not really concern me, but I think it's evident that Vick has a hard time getting the ball to Price. Hopefully that can change in 2005. Some stats that might interest you...

Based off the approx. 7 quarters of play that Schaub got this year and Price's #s during that period compared with the 57 quarters under Vick's watched, here's how Price's #s would have ended over a 16-game season under each passer...

Schaub - 83 catches for 732 yards (8.8 avg) and 0 TDs
Vick - 40 catches for 555 yards (13.9 avg) and 3 TDs

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:01 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Pudge wrote:
Who's fault it is does not really concern me, but I think it's evident that Vick has a hard time getting the ball to Price.

Here's my take on it:

Vick is 6', at best, and Price is around 5' 11", again at the most. It's pretty difficult for a "short" QB to find a "short" WR with a bunch of big bodies (the OL and DL) inbetween them. The only reason I would like to see Plax come in here is because he's a tall guy. He's 6' 5", and I've taken a notice that it's easier for Vick to spot Finn over the middle than it is for him to spot Price. I think if we had 6' 5" Burress, 6' 4" Jenkins, and 6' 5" Finneran as our three main guys with Dez rotating at the #2 and #3 as a way to mix things up, our passing game can get better. That would all depend on what Burress would sign for. I hear he wants a bonus of 8 figures, and for that I tell him he can take a hike. Honestly, the only receiver I'd want to trade for and give a 10+ million bonus to is Holt. I didn't like us giving one to Price, and I wouldn't like giving it to Burress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:03 pm 

Although I agree that Vick's height doesn't help him, I think it's an overall lack of vision from Vick rather than his height holding him back. If Vick saw the field better PERIOD, he would find it easier to make the throws.

I look at a guy like Steve McNair, who is only a few inches taller than Vick at 6'2", and he has been finding a smallish receiver named Derrick Mason (5'11") for years. That pair has connected for over 200 receptions and 14 TDs in the past 3 seasons. Why? Because McNair has much better field vision than Vick.

I sincerely hope that height is not the main factor. If that's the case, that severely limits which receivers we can target in FA and the draft. It would mean that Price and White aren't going to be productive ever in Atlanta. Because basically only guys 6'3" or taller could really cut it.

Profile E-mail