It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handcuffed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Commitment to the run, Steven Jackson, bad game planning, and horrible route design killed the offense today.

I wish that last week was an example of how things would be this season. I warned you that this coaching staff could handcuff the offense, and today they did.

When we used 4 receiver sets, we sometimes had all four receivers run the same pattern at the same depth. (they showed this as a replay after a Ryan sack... All of the receivers went out 10 yards and turned around.) This is useless route design.

Also, when you bunch receivers, you're not supposed to have them all looking for the ball 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. There's at least 3 defenders within 5 yards of all of them. That's not how you draw up routes.

Did anyone notice how the Bengals CB's were able to anticipate just about every screen pass that we made? Sure would be nice if our routes weren't so predictable.

With the speed that we have, why aren't we running slants and go routes as part of each snap to help spread the defense out?

Why are we so insistent on starting Jackson when it's obvious that Jackson is too slow and not nimble enough to run effectively behind our line?

The big question mark with the Bengals was the secondary. We took 1 shot down the field before we got into desperation mode. ONE.

When we were running out of time, there was no sense of urgency. We kept running the ball. We kept huddling up. I don't think we stepped up the tempo until the 4th quarter was half over. Down by 21 points? No problem, business as usual.

On the other side of the ball...

When is Smith's defense going to be able to stop the run? The defense seems to be getting worse and worse against the run the longer that Smith is here. We have, "overhauled," the defense for each of the past 3 seasons... Where's the improvement? Different coordinators, different players, worse results.

There are a couple of bright spots on defense... Trufant is a beast. Worrilow gets a lot of tackles.

The sky isn't falling, but this was a really horrible game in just about every facet. Thankfully, we have a relatively crappy team coming into town on Thursday night.

Post subject: Re: Handcuffed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 pm 

Same ole Falcon's. When is the team ever going to be prepared to win consistently on the road? Once in a blue moon vs mediocre teams we can expect a win but we are no further developed as a team than 4o5 yrs ago. In my opinion it starts with the head coach and TD.
Where's the talent on defense. We have a swiss cheese defense. Overpaid players and not the right personel. Biermann looked awful trying to cover the backs out of the backfield. We got manhandled vs the run and couldn't stop the pass. Again no pass rush really pathetic. It doesn't help when TD doesn't go out and get help in free agency. How many years as he had to build the defense withquality personel. Was Hageman even on the field today.

In the end the Falcons will get their wins mostly home and against mediocre teams on the road. The record will be bout 9-7 maybe 10-6 but we are no closer to winning a championship than 4-5 years ago. I think Smith gets fired and TD should hit the door with him but some how GMs survive many head coaching firings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

....awaiting some Pro Football HocusPocus nonsense :lol:

dominated in every aspect of the game. our best player today was their kicker.

sorry ass performance, playcalling, endurance, everything. we were exposed

damn :beef:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I want to point out that the Bengals are a darn good football team, and I would not be upset with a loss if the team had actually performed the way that we're capable of. But I believe that we lost this game before we took the field due to horrible game planning. We can't go up against playoff teams with horrible game plans and expect to win.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

After watching the Saints lose to the Browns... let me repeat that, the BROWNS, I'm even feeling worse about our win last week. :doh:

People pick on Dalton and his playoff record, but he has had 'Matt Ryan' kind of playoff luck in that he's run into either very hot teams [Chargers last season], or absolute buzz-saw defenses [Texans for two straight years] which he can't play well against because of nice blitzing and his happy feet. Had he run into the Falcons ANY of those years, this [today's game] would have been the result as our Defense can't scare him and doesn't make him move or panic in the face of a blitz, and the Bengals defense is very, very good.

The Bengals are a very bad match-up for us, but then again, any team with a Top 10 defense is going to beat us 8 times out of 10.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:06 pm 
Starter
Starter

Can't say I'm surprised. Bengals are just a lot better than we are. Stephen Jackson should not be starting. Old and slow and it's not like he will get better only worse. Same with Biermann. He is just useless on the field. Come to think of it, we should bench everyone with the last name Jackson. Tyson is not exactly earning his contract thus far. The only thing he is earning is multiple trips to the buffet line. Today's loss not that big a deal, especially if you have low expectations of this team, which I do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
Can't say I'm surprised. Bengals are just a lot better than we are. Stephen Jackson should not be starting. Old and slow and it's not like he will get better only worse. Same with Biermann. He is just useless on the field. Come to think of it, we should bench everyone with the last name Jackson. Tyson is not exactly earning his contract thus far. The only thing he is earning is multiple trips to the buffet line. Today's loss not that big a deal, especially if you have low expectations of this team, which I do.

Great post, all 3 guys you mentioned have done nothing to warrant being on the field and are hurting us. While today stunk, Cincy is virtually unbeatable at home in the regular season (8-0) last year. We have a nice easy stretch coming up, should be able to get back on track on Thursday vs the Bucs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This is the team I was expecting to have, but I was so inspired by last week
play, I was sure N.O.was a good team but now I don't think so.

Robert finds lots of ways to blame the coaches, but when your Qb has 2 seconds to make a pass, your line must suck. Ryan threw 3 interceptions
and he didn't do that last year!! I won't blame Ryan though, even if you have time for a pass, the previous rushes are in your head.

Our defense is as bad as I was afraid of, we don't have a sack in two games. Blaming Coach Smith is fine, but to me its more of what I thought at the start of the year. No defensive people!! Its hard to make anything work without a defense or Offensive line.

Lets face it, N.O. isn't very good, and we aren't either. Thomas D. gets most of my blame, but I don't mind people blaming the "Head Coach"
he is called the Head. I thought our team would be terrible based on our defense but I got carried away with last weeks win!!

In summary I really believe we don't have the players. You can have superstars everywhere and if the Qb doesn't have time to throw the ball, then your team will only beat teams worse than yours. That's may be most of our division, but who wants to win that to be beat 40-0 in playoffs.

And we lost big with Cinn. not having their biggest star Aj Green. How bad is that!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't disagree with anything you said Cyril. Cincinnati was down several of their big players, and we couldn't take advantage.

I believe that we do have the talent to be a top 5 offense. We really need to adjust our scheme to take advantage of the talent that we have. We need to stop being so conservative.

We have a significant lack of talent on the DL and at OLB. (assuming 3-4 here)

I really want the team to bench Biermann and get someone else out there. Biermann seems to offer very little on most of his snaps. If we're going to get little production, I'd rather a young guy be the one taking the snaps. A young guy could develop. Biermann is what he is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
After watching the Saints lose to the Browns... let me repeat that, the BROWNS, I'm even feeling worse about our win last week. :doh:

People pick on Dalton and his playoff record, but he has had 'Matt Ryan' kind of playoff luck in that he's run into either very hot teams [Chargers last season], or absolute buzz-saw defenses [Texans for two straight years] which he can't play well against because of nice blitzing and his happy feet. Had he run into the Falcons ANY of those years, this [today's game] would have been the result as our Defense can't scare him and doesn't make him move or panic in the face of a blitz, and the Bengals defense is very, very good.

The Bengals are a very bad match-up for us, but then again, any team with a Top 10 defense is going to beat us 8 times out of 10.

Please don't ever mention Dalton and Ryan in the same breath again regardless if you're making a comparison or not. Dalton showed again today why he is a terrible QB. He easily had 3 TDs in the games where his receivers beat our guys, and each time Dalton threw a completely uncatchable pass out of bounds. The dude is trash, and the only reason the Falcons were really in this game for the first 24 minutes of this game was because of how bad he and their kicker were today. Then the Bengals ground game, defense and our terrible defense took over the game and we got blasted the rest of the game.

But in Week 1, the Bengals had to settle for FGs on 5 of their first 6 drives (a 3 & Out on the 6th) because of Dalton's inability to deliver on 3rd downs with a simplified offense. Thus far these 2 games show why the Bengals were idiots for paying Dalton what they did. On 22 dropbacks on 3rd downs, Dalton's passing has helped the Bengals convert just 6 first downs (27%) thru 2 games. Of course one of those came today on Sanu's 76-yard TD. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert Wrote "
I believe that we do have the talent to be a top 5 offense."

I wish I could believe that, but our O- line is really bad. If you can't find someone better than Lamar Holmes then that's a problem. We have stars
at Qb and receivers, but you got to have blocking for them to have a chance.

Or I'll agree with you but say " If we only had an average line". Having the
Browns score 35+ and win against N.O. shows me N.O.'s defense sucks too.

I really hate it, I let myself get excited from last Sunday, damn when the Falcons get thrashed I feel terrible unless I'm expecting it.

I would be much more on the bandwagon about Steven Jackson (I hate him) but their's nowhere to run, well hell I'm officially depressed now!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:24 am 

Personally, I'd bench S-Jax (or out right cut him if it makes cap sense) and go with Freeman as the starter and rotating in Quizz when you need extra pass blocking an Smith for dynamic plays where you may split the RB out or screen to him for a home run play.

I see no reason to continue starting and going with S-Jax at this point. Dude was out of gas before he got to Atlanta. I was hoping he would find some fountain of youth but I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 am 

If Falcons were going to cut Steven Jackson, they should have done it at the end of camp. His $3 million base salary is guaranteed now, as were all of those of every player on the roster Week 1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

that game was so depressing I had to watch a couple ISIS videos to cheer me up. :down: