It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "some people say " "Can the Falcons go 11-5"?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://cinesport.ajc.com/ajc-atlanta-sp ... s-go-11-5/

:roll:

Post subject: Re: "some people say " "Can the Falcons go 11-5"?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm a big fan of Prisco, but he is really stretching here. 8 wins would be satisfying for me.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's possible, but unlikely... Our offense would need to go crazy in the passing game with Ryan throwing for a 5000 yards and we would need some young guys on defense to surprise us. I'm also thinking we are a 500 team, give or take a game. With that said I hope I'm wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
Starter
Starter

I'm feeling a bit bearish on the birds this year. I think it's more likely we go 5-11. Wish I felt better about this team, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe if we had Johnny Manziel we go 11-5. :rofl: Sorry to piss on everyone's cornflakes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

LOL Johnny Manziel , I'll tell you one thing, I bet we have a better record than the Cleveland Browns!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

riddle me this:

IF the Falcons either go 8-8 OR have a losing season, is that enough to justify moving on from either Smitty or TD?

Caveat: what if the reason we go .500 or less is due to Ryan going down with injury? Does the 'body or work' for the last 6 seasons save them? If we lose Julio to injury again, doesn't that sign TD's pink slip?

If Ryan is upright and we have another losing season, my opinion is Blank has to make a move.

thoughts? :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... lcons.html

Last year: 4-12, tied for last in NFC South

Acquisitions: Devin Hester, Jake Matthews, Tyson Jackson, Bear Pascoe

Departures: Tony Gonzalez, Asante Samuel, Thomas DeCoud, Jeremy Trueblood

Already critical injury: Sean Weatherspoon

Vegas 2014 win total over/under: 8.5 wins

Verdict: UNDER

----

Five things that have been kind of watchable during Falcons “Hard Knocks”:

– Ricardo Allen’s swollen testicle story time.

– Tyler Starr’s kid making fun of his dad on the field.

– Mike Smith wearing mandals in the office.

– Mike Smith trying to swear.

– Mike Smith chiding players for fighting then telling them to fight more but calling it “being physical”.

-----

Fan forecast by Steven Godfrey:

In six seasons under head coach Mike Smith and G.M. Thomas Dimitroff, the Falcons salvaged Roddy White, groomed Matt Ryan, landed Tony Gonzalez in his prime and sold the house for Julio Jones. That wins you 5 Super Bowls in a 7-on-7 league, but concerns in niche areas like “pass protection” and “run blocking” and “the whole goddamn defense” have somewhat muted the success of this franchise

That and the bore-you-to-tears play calling. No self-respecting Atlanta fan wants to admit this, but the fantasy of Sean Payton calling plays for Atlanta’s offensive weapons is a tawdry, forbidden fantasy we allow ourselves now and again. Dirk Koetter replaced Mike Mularkey as offensive coordinator to much acclaim, but that’s only because he calls screen passes. Oh my! /blushes

To compensate for last year’s 4-12 implosion, Atlanta hired another G.M. ostensibly to just evaluate line talent, and then spent their first round pick on tackle Jake Matthews. He’s now plugged in as a Week 1 starter on the left side because of the freshly re-injured Sam Baker, premiere false start machine and a former first round pick from USC. He’s the Matt Lienart of first round USC lineman busts, but that’s a comparison that makes you feel like you’re being too hard on Matt Lienart, which in turn is another reason to hate Baker.

Dimitroff is almost prescient in his ability to create the worst ROI possible on veteran free agent signings. Remember Ray Edwards? Dunta Robinson? Of course you don’t, because you’re not a Falcons fan. The current flavor is Steven Jackson, who spent 2013 nursing a hamstring and notching a career-low 3.5 yards a carry behind the aforementioned putrid line. He’s already injured heading into ‘14, so expect rookie Devonta Freeman to permanently win the starting job no later than Week 5.

Defensively this team is finally committed to playing a 3-4 with actual 3-4 personnel, except with a lot of rookies and no safeties. The Falcons don’t really have safeties and didn’t sign any top free agent safeties. Just… didn’t. The best linebacker on the roster is Sean Weatherspoon, and he’s out for the year. Osi Umenyiora is still the best chance this team has to pressure passers like Drew Brees, but he’s being saved exclusively as a third down option due to age. He’s the Steven Jackson of the defense!

These are all the bad things. The one good thing – the best thing – is that Ryan can throw the ball very well to the best pair of receivers in the league. Expect White to move into the slot this season and replace the retired Gonzalez. The most interesting storyline of training camp should be the 3 and 4 WR spots, but ceaseless major injuries across the roster feel like we’re just prepping for another 2013 season.

The Falcons will always have a chance at the playoffs if Ryan, Jones and White are all healthy and have time, but without some kind of revelation on defense they’ll never win the title needed to substantiate this franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

"Dimitroff is almost prescient in his ability to create the worst ROI possible on veteran free agent signings."

This as well as their unwillingness to cut bait with failed draft choices are the gigantic "Oh you married your mother" in the room. Bringing in Pioli with his KC draftees compounds the issue, it doesn't solve it.

As to whether this is hubris or the growing pains of the NFL's new off-season timetable (soft-tissue injury, soft-tissue injury, ad nauseum) is up in the air, but this does seem to have bitten ATL squarely on the behind.

Much as I would love to see it, I don't think ATL is ready to move Roddy to the slot: HD still makes too much money to be the second slot guy, and there's no trusted #2 on the outside. Reedy might be this, but it still puts the intensely overpaid HD on the bench.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Besides about 4 good seasons, the Falcons are back to playing their 40+
years of below average football to terrible football.

This team still has no depth and no defensive starters you could call above average. I'm watching their preseason and for the "lousy teams"
trying to move up, the way they play matters.

Coach Smith doesn't have the players to win, but its probably him that will be fired and hired 10 minutes later!!

Very little improvement on the O- line, I think Ryan will have a little more time to throw, but we'll have no consistent running game.

Going 11-5 is a joke.

Going 6-10 is closer, we don't have enough talent around to even get the
team looking like an NFL team!! If we had some safeties or defensive linemen, or Offensive linemen it would be different!!

We'll see how Roddy and Julio do. I expect Julio to last about 5 games
and the curtain will close.