It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Wanna be 'tough'? Then make 'tough' decisions.

Mike Smith SHOULD have been fired immediately after the Clowns won...I used to see the reasoning in waiting until the end of the season..But not anymore. Im quite serious.

There is no benefit from keeping him around. In fact, he is hurting this team's chances at the postseason.

This team has quit on him.

I count 11 times that I can recall Smitty making terrible came clock decisions that opened the door for the other team to win. Two times this year, and on foreign soil, no less. Sorry, folks, that is inexcusable. I really do not care to hear the defenders, because this is not a rare occurance, it is a trend. The truth hurts. We almost lost the only playoff win he have due to mind boggling decisions...

at this point, answer this question honestly: if coach Shrek was canned today, and Koetter as well, and just gave the reigns to Matt Ryan, who here thinks it would be a 'negative'? I don't. I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton. in fact, it would be a wise decision.

Or, for that matter, if you simply have to have a HC, then let Tice do it.

I would invite Smith out to dinner, pat him on the back, and say 'sorry Mike, but we have to move on.'. I would then drive to Matt Ryan's house, and say 'your in charge now. I'm giving you 100 million reasons to rally this team and make the playoffs. Ride and die. Right now. '

It sends a message to the rest of the team and any prospective coaches that mediocrity is no longer tolerated at Flowery Branch. It's being 'tough'.

So Arthur, if you want really want the team to be 'tough', then it's time to make those tough decisions.

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: New York
First time ever, I gotta say I couldn't agree more.

_________________
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: San Diego, CA
I thought it was awesome when Steve Tasker & Steve Beuerlein called out the coaches when they showed Matt's first half numbers vs his second half numbers. The first thing he said was the coaching staff takes blame for that for the simple fact that they are not making the necessary halftime/ in-game adjustments. We have all been saying this for years but to get this lack of production out of the same personnel group on the field is absurd. Time for a change point blank!

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26128
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
There is no benefit from keeping him around. In fact, he is hurting this team's chances at the postseason.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never stop being a true fan, fun gus. After all, fan is short for fanatic.

fun gus wrote:
I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton.

Sure, if he had an entire offseason to prepare for it. But in the middle of the season? :snooty:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
There is no benefit from keeping him around. In fact, he is hurting this team's chances at the postseason.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never stop being a true fan, fun gus. After all, fan is short for fanatic.

fun gus wrote:
I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton.

Sure, if he had an entire offseason to prepare for it. But in the middle of the season? :snooty:



Okay, smartass. Let's hear what the man himself had to say:


Smith began his Monday news conference by addressing the issue.

"Before I open up for questions, I would like to address the last 55 seconds of the game. After reflecting and analyzing on how that played out, I would have done some things differently, given the opportunity to think about it through the night and doing some analyzing," Smith said. "I didn't do the things that needed to be done to put our guys in the best position to win the game. There's lot of plays in a football game that can affect the outcome, and I didn't do my best to help us win yesterday."

Smith was asked how difficult it was to realize his mistake.

"Again, you go through it and you make decisions and they're made on the fly, and it was a decision that didn't give us the best opportunity to win," Smith said. "And as a coach, it is your intention to always put your players in the best position to win. There were a lot of plays in that game, and it usually comes down to a handful of plays. And I didn't put the guys in the best position."

It was odd for the Falcons not to have a third-and-2 play ready, even despite the pressure of the moment.

"Again, guys, we wanted to get the best, what we felt like was the best play for us," Smith said. "Again, as I mentioned, I didn't do my job as the head football coach and put our guys in the best position that they possibly could be in in that situation. And it's my responsibility as the head coach to make sure that that happens."

so, who is the real 'fanatic' here? Me, or the guy who needed a 'day' to 'think through his awful decision'? :roll: :lol:

So, if Smith has been fired after the Lions screwup ( which even you would have to admit was another mistake, and a qualified 'firable' offense ) then he's not there to make this mistake this time, hence he is by default HURTING the postseason chances. That's not 'speculation', that's not 'conjecture', that is fact. Now, I can tell your defense is going to be along the lines of 'well, we don't beat any of these teams without Smith standing tall behind the helm'. Which, is specious..We couldn't 'beat' the Buccs or the Panthers without Coach Shrek? Horsecrap. I think Ryan could take the reigns RIGHT NOW and do just as well, if not better,then with Smith in the phones. At least division-wise.

I mean, playing the powerhouse Panthers: how did we fare?

ONE TD
, all the other points were FG's. Surely Smith's 'explosively tough tenacious' bullspit marketing-based slogan offense SHOULD be able to do more with all these weapons. But, no we work Matt Bryant's foot off..

Most of the time, when we go no-huddle, or we let Ryan call the shots, he seems to do okay. Why would that not be the case now? Because of NFL 'conventional thinking'? Well, frankly, that is part of the problem.

Matt Ryan is just as capable of running this offense as Mike soon to be sh*tcanned Smith. He has the ability to realize mistakes, and try to do something different, and adjust. Smith and Turd Koetter have proven not to be up to the task.

I find your faith in Smith disturbing, young Padawan :wink:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6298
Location: Planet Claire
Hypothetical: Ryan throws the ball deep enough and hits Hester--who was open--and Hester catches the ball that hits him in the hands--unlike a couple weeks back. What are we saying about Smith then? He finally grew a pair and quit being over conservative? You don't fire a coach because of one gaffe or even two--unless your name is Rankin Smith. The reason you fire a coach is his systematic approach is not returning adequate dividends. For this, I see firing Smitty. Blowing a a game or two and blowing your stack and firing a guy earns you a reputation that will make future quality coaching candidates a bit more disinclined to want to work for you.

All this press conference gleaned this and that is like listening to the President's speeches to determine what his methodology is. They are related but really not minutely related. They throw enough bones to the wolf pack to satisfy them and then go back behind closed doors and do what they do. It would not surprise me entirely in Blank strongly suggested Smitty make such a statement to the press. He's been known to have a coach go to the front of the class and sit in a dunce chair before (Mora).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
backnblack wrote:
Hypothetical: Ryan throws the ball deep enough and hits Hester--who was open--and Hester catches the ball that hits him in the hands--unlike a couple weeks back. What are we saying about Smith then? He finally grew a pair and quit being over conservative? You don't fire a coach because of one gaffe or even two--unless your name is Rankin Smith. The reason you fire a coach is his systematic approach is not returning adequate dividends. For this, I see firing Smitty. Blowing a a game or two and blowing your stack and firing a guy earns you a reputation that will make future quality coaching candidates a bit more disinclined to want to work for you.

All this press conference gleaned this and that is like listening to the President's speeches to determine what his methodology is. They are related but really not minutely related. They throw enough bones to the wolf pack to satisfy them and then go back behind closed doors and do what they do. It would not surprise me entirely in Blank strongly suggested Smitty make such a statement to the press. He's been known to have a coach go to the front of the class and sit in a dunce chair before (Mora).



I can easily answer that question: what would I (or the masses ) would have said if Hester caught that ball? And we would have won, and then put a one game lead in the division? Well, I would have said it was sorry that we even HAD to do that in the first place! Look at how we played the pitiful Panthers..We won that game ona field goal, AGAIN!!! This season is not an 'abberation' is it a trainwreck. In fact: I can see a scenario where we actually GET to the playoffs, get blown out and the man gets fired anyway! Answer your question: what 'coach' would want to come to this franchise with that going on? But: yet it remains..

I got roundly mocked by the Pudgeonator WEEKS ago postulating that we could back our sorry a$$es into the playoffs due to the suckiness of this division. I may be wrong, but I think he said something along the lines of 'why are you idiots even contemplating playoffs?' or some such stuff....Yet, here we are. Were still in first f*cking place! I think I said 'what if Cam get hurt and the Saints start sucking..' yet that is kinda what happened.

Sooo...knowing that. What would you do as Artie? 'stand pat'? Your coach cannot take a gift wrapped Hoyer victory without screwing the pooch 3 weeks after doing the same sh*t overseas. You flew that eight hours back, humiliated. Then, you watched this nightmare.

And somehow, we think Ryan, or Tice/Ryan, is a 'worse' idea? I don't. I think it rallys the team, or it sinks it. This is not Ted Turner taking over, it is a guy with QB mental presence and Tice is an adequate play caller. Is Koetter doing anything different? What about Smith?

Look at the schedule: the Saints have the easiest road...But what if by shaking things up we 'steal' a game? Is anyone here going to say 'it cant happen' like being in first with 4 wins?

That's just what I would do. The second egregious clock decision should have been enough right then and there to pack a box...It's 'Hard' but we were not on a show called 'Smart Knocks' :whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6298
Location: Planet Claire
I can't tell whether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing. As the season does not appear to be an aberration I understand letting Smitty go. I don't see firing him on Monday because of clock mismanagement the day before. That may be straw that broke the camel's back logic but I don't see any real merit in it unless you think you are going to hire Tice in his stead long term.
I actually did not see the Panthers game but it seemed to be more of the same. Of interest is that they were the division winners last year. So, we are not the only team that has collapsed. Do you recall how the Cardinals looked in Whisenhunt's last year? Things can change fast. If we backed into a division championship--which we won't--we are still a bad team. We're not a team with a bad defense or injury issues. We are just plain bad all around but football is a game of confidence and swagger as much as any. Last night they said the Ravens had only one third of the players left from their SB team. In the modern NFL teams can change quickly.
I don't think Smitty is a bad coach but I think he has sort of lost the team or, at least, lost their focus. It's hard to say that cutting Abe and Grimes and signing Jackson gutted the 12 team but something is definitely wrong. I can only imagine what Blank will conjure up to fix it. They hired and fired a million position coaches. Nothing left to do but work their way up the ladder. It will be PR driven.
I guess my question is, "What do you gain by axing Coach Smith now?"

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26128
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
I got roundly mocked by the Pudgeonator WEEKS ago postulating that we could back our sorry a$$es into the playoffs due to the suckiness of this division. I may be wrong, but I think he said something along the lines of 'why are you idiots even contemplating playoffs?' or some such stuff....Yet, here we are. Were still in first f*cking place!

And I will continue to roundly mock you and others that seriously consider making teh playoffs an accomplishment. Because..........

backnblack wrote:
If we backed into a division championship--which we won't--we are still a bad team. We're not a team with a bad defense or injury issues. We are just plain bad all around but football is a game of confidence and swagger as much as any.

THIS.

People are fools for thinking that making the playoffs means anything. Yes, we're still in the hunt. We'll probably get crushed by the Cards & Packers the next two weeks, but because the Saints might choke against the Steelers and Panthers, we might still be in the hunt in 2 weeks.

Do you think making the playoffs means anything other than the Falcons beign the worst team ever to make the playoffs. Do you really want that distinction? Is that something makes you proud. We're already potentially the worst team ever to host a conference championship game, do you want that on Mike Smith's (or whoever the interim coach is) resume?

:roll:

I'm not against firing Mike Smith. You have plenty of reasons to fire him. I don't care if you want to ax him, but please to justify it as because "We have a legit shot at making the playoffs if we fire him."

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:10 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
Look we were 4-12 last year...... Sean Payton isn't doing well either without players!!

I understand the frustration at Coach Smith, but I don't think its hard to make the argument the most important thing is players.

So Thomas D. let us go from a team with average players, to a team with
complete below average players!! I see how some say Thomas D. should go too, but WHY isn't he getting the brunt of the criticism ??

Quote:

Fun Gus since you feel as strongly about this as anyone, would you please share with us WHAT CHANGES Thomas D. made last year to this year, to improve our players?? To Improve us from a 4-12 team??



Please don't say that's Coach Smith's job!! The first job of a General Manager is to get our team players. I again understand your feelings about Coach Smith, but I'd love for you to explain player by player that Our Gm got us to turn this 12 team losing streak from last year and not following through to impact last years team to be a better team this year!! He did nothing !!

That's the bitch with this team, I don't care who goes but this Gm has got to go too!!

I believe because you can see Coach Smith on the field, you single him out, ALL COACHES only do so well with players that none would take in a trade.

PLEASE tell me all the things that Thomas D. has done right, since he got rid of Harvey Dahl and our other tackle while he paid Sam Baker all
those millions when he hasn't had a good game in his career.

Our Gm himself, brought us from a playoff team with him letting Harvey Dahl go,Tyson Claybo go,Garrett Reynolds, Will Svitek, and a lot of other players on offense and Defense players go like Abe, and others better players than the players we have!!

Yes Coach Smith made a mistake Sunday, but he's coached us up in great measure when we just had a few more players!!

Our Defense is so bad we don't have a name player!!

I'll Look forward to hopefully a little research and your full report about
Thomas D. When you lose like this, the Coach will be fired!!

I believe the "Big Game" will be us against New Orleans, although I don't care either, and I disagree on your total support from Matt Ryan.

He's overpaid, perhaps our best player but your Qb should NOT let your team lose 12 unless the Gm is so bad he hasn't got him a running back or Offensive line!! Why is Ryan not hitting Julio game after game??
We got him for Ryan!!

Quote:
Blank can not fire Smith now, the reason is when he hires a new coach it will look like such a better job, if Blank can tell the new Coach he may hire his own Gm if wanted!! With Smith Here, the possible new Coach may think he will keep Smith. Weird things happen every year concerning keeping head coaches or letting them go!!


I know you don't want to do any research, but I think you owe it to your good Falcon knowledge, to know the exact errors that Thomas D. has made.

I'll also ask any Falcon fans to also check out Thomas D. and let me know of the good players he has got since 2011.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:40 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4388
Not mentioning anything else, there are two games that we would have won this year if we had better clock management. There's a 3rd game that might have been a win with better decisions/management. With a different coach, we could be sitting at 7-4 right now rather than 4-7. At 7-4, talking about the playoffs at this point wouldn't be shameful.

The Falcons certainly haven't played like a playoff team this year, and there are many issues with the team, but the head coach is the difference between having a winning record and a losing record at this point. That's not acceptable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:49 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
Dang Robert, why don't you do a little research and tell me what Thomas D. has done?? He's why were 4=12 last year, you read my post but don't have the Balls to really know if we have any players?? Come ON MAN---


iF YOU WANTED THE TRUTH YOU COULD GET IT..... Thomas D. is our problem, he's so much worse than Coach Smith, WHY DON'T YOU FOR ONCE, MEET WE WITH A LITTLE RESEARCH..... i'M OPEN TO IT, i'VE ALREADY DONE THE RESEARCH, BUT IF YOUR ONLY CRYING ABOUT cOACH SMITH AND YOU WON'T DO A LITTLE RESEARCH,

WHAT HAS THOMAS D. DONE SINCE 2011?? iT WOULD TAKE ONLY 30 MINUTES SO SEE HE LET THE PLAYERS GO i MENTIONED, AND HE NEVER REPLACED THEM.

iTS 2:48 am, AND SORRY ABOUT THE LARGE CAPS NOW THAT i'VE SEEN THEM!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
Do you think making the playoffs means anything other than the Falcons beign the worst team ever to make the playoffs. Do you really want that distinction? Is that something makes you proud. We're already potentially the worst team ever to host a conference championship game, do you want that on Mike Smith's (or whoever the interim coach is) resume?

:roll:

I'm not against firing Mike Smith.."



oh, bullsh*t. :roll:

sorry, Pudge, you ARE against firing Smith right now. Just admit it. Own it for once :naughty:

isn't it interesting that 5 weeks after saying 'this s***ty team could back into the playoffs' and getting roundly mocked, now we are at ' okay, do you really WANT to back into the playoffs'? You guys seem to speak with authority that we WONT even make the playoffs, except we might. The entire reason I even posted it was to point out that is how things work in 'Falconsland'. Only here could the shittiest coach get a reprieve...It was the whole damn point of the post, and it sailed over everyone's head! good grief..

We lost two games this year in humiliating fashion due to Smith's 'issues'. His words, not mine, HIS. Why doesn't anyone address Rob's point? He is right: we would be a lot better off right now with Smith OUT rather then IN. Please 'splain to me how firing Smith Monday and having Tice/Ryan take over is a 'bad thing'. Go ahead, Im waiting. Fire away. Make it substantial, though... My baited breath awaits........

to address Cyril: THOMAS DIMITROFF SHOULD BE DRIVING SMITH'S GETAWAY CAR. HE NEEDS TO GO AS WELL. SYMPATICO!

If we actually have a chance to win ONE of these last games, and back into the playoffs: and we get screwed AGAIN by dumbasss Smith's BAD management, will you guys own it? Can y'all look past the 'best coach we ever had' love affair? This is Arthur's issue as well. What will it take to get this clown kicked out? What, does he need to pee in your cheerios? As if the London Broil(tm) was not bad enough, we lose to the Clowns with one of the worst QB's since Ryan Leaf, and that's 'still not enough'? Why? Because changing horses midstream could 'hurt our playoff chances'? Oh, horseshit.

The simple fact that this idiot hasn't been shown the door is Blank pissing on my leg, then telling me it's not only 'raining', but it's my fault for 'not recycling'. This is getting to Pertrino/Dogkiller levels of bad, and this time around I want to see the damn OWNER do his job and take his own advice. :naughty:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm 
Offline
All-Pro
All-Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 517
Location: Vacaville, CA
fun gus wrote:
Pudge wrote:
Do you think making the playoffs means anything other than the Falcons beign the worst team ever to make the playoffs. Do you really want that distinction? Is that something makes you proud. We're already potentially the worst team ever to host a conference championship game, do you want that on Mike Smith's (or whoever the interim coach is) resume?

:roll:

I'm not against firing Mike Smith.."



oh, bullsh*t. :roll:

sorry, Pudge, you ARE against firing Smith right now. Just admit it. Own it for once :naughty:

isn't it interesting that 5 weeks after saying 'this s***ty team could back into the playoffs' and getting roundly mocked, now we are at ' okay, do you really WANT to back into the playoffs'? You guys seem to speak with authority that we WONT even make the playoffs, except we might. The entire reason I even posted it was to point out that is how things work in 'Falconsland'. Only here could the shittiest coach get a reprieve...It was the whole damn point of the post, and it sailed over everyone's head! good grief..
:naughty:


It's right there, man. There's no point in making the playoffs this year, and there's no point in royally screwing over their draft position. ATL making the playoffs this year would be a farcical condemnation of the NFL's playoff system, not a testament to the skill of whomever Blank brought in to coach the team.; your argument to get rid of TD as well supports this look, and I'd say most of us are right on board with you.

I've got no reason to keep Mike Smith after this season, but what I'm (and I believe Pudge is, as well) is that there's nothing to be gained by firing him. The season's lost. At this point, they are better with him on board because he's less likely than some other folks to take the team to the playoffs this year as a sub-500 team. Right now, that's the difference between drafting in the top ten or in the twenties.

If AB doesn't fire TD as well, I'll join you in the whole "pissing on my leg" thing, as the talent on this team just sucks. Nothing could be a better condemnation of that than watching Crowell run past a completely and utterly ineffective Soliai.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26128
Location: North Carolina
No, fun gus I'm not against it.

What I will own is that this is a s***ty team. Firing Mike Smith won't change the fact that this defense has sucked in 9 out of the 11 games and either blown a 4th quarter lead or giving up a potential game-winning drive in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. The only 2 exceptions were vs. Cincinnati & Baltimore, who just smacked us around from the jump.

TB, Cleveland, Minnesota all set their season-highs for total yards gained against the Falcons defense. Carolina, Chicago, and Cincinnati had their 2nd highest totals of the year against the Falcons defense. Is firing Mike Smith going to stop the Cardinals from putting up 400 yards on us this week? GB & Pittsburgh and NO from putting up 500 yards on us?

That's not a defense of MIke Smith, it's just pointing out the thing that half our fan base is delusional about not believing is that the reason why this team is the 6th or 7th worst team in the NFL right now has little to do with Mike Smith, and simply is because they are a s*** team. A s***, s***, s*** team. They suck. They blow. They are dogshit. If/when they fly to their next football game, they should give parachutes to Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Desmond Trufant, Jake Matthews, Jon Asamoah, Robert Alford, William Moore, Sean Weatherspoon and Jonathan Babineaux because if the plane crashes, those guys are the only ones worth saving. The only reason why they're still in the playoff hunt is cuz the Bucs & Panthers are bottom 5 teams, and Firing Mike Smith won't change that. But if it makes you feel better about this s*** team, then that's your prerogative. I'm just here to say that it won't change the fact that this is a s*** team and they will continue to be a s*** team regardless of who is coaching them the final 5 weeks of this season.

I want this season to be over. Unless firing Mike Smith means that the Falcons can forfeit the final 5 games and we can get a jump on the offseason, then I could care less about it.

Again, if you want Mike Smith gone, then so be it. Again, there are plenty of reasons why you'd be justified in firing him now. We all know he's done after the season and cutting bait now is justified for that reason.

But mistaking my apathy over Mike Smith as a defense of him is just silly and petty...

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6298
Location: Planet Claire
I've read your rants on this a few times FG but I still don't see the advantage of dismissing the guy other than for AB t play his part in Operation Toughness. Aren't we all kind of beyond the yearly rhetorical monikers? If he is fired at year's end all the coaches will likely be gone unless you are talking about retaining, say, Tice as HC which is pretty much counter intuitive to the scuttlebutt that AB wants to hire a "name" coach." And, yes, the team won two games after Reeves stepped down but if memory serves Vick also came back from injury and that had more to do with that than anything Phillips did. Brooking went to bat in the press to hire Phillips FWIW and he has been given a couple of shots as HC with little success. Tice did not set the woods on fire in Minnesota and I don't think he will help sell PSLs. So, is the point of canning him to satisfy the bloodlust of the fan base or is there a non-emotional purpose?
Truthfully, as pissed as I was at the Lions game--and it may well have been as pissed as I can remember being in years if not decades--that was "execution" and laid as clearly on the players shoulders as Smitty's. As I've said over and over (isn't that what we do on MBs?) if you want to fire him because the team is falling apart then fire him for it but firing people for a bad call or a mismanagement of the clock in a specific game is Smithonian (and I mean Rankin). Younguns may forget but Smith fired Leeman Bennett in a rage after a loss.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4388
Cyril, my heart wouldn't be broken if TD was fired as well. But I came to a realization about our situation a few weeks ago... Our coach's system does not develop players for the NFL. His coaching methods develop players for high school/college. With a couple of exceptions, just about everyone on this team has gotten worse with time. I don't think it would matter who Thomas Dimitroff were to draft, this team would continue to get worse over time because the coaching staff doesn't develop players for the NFL.

Here are my strikes against Smith:
    Makes horrible game day decisions
    Does not make good adjustments
    Does not scheme to take advantage of an opponent's weaknesses
    Does not develop talent
    Focuses too much on penalties

Here are my strikes against Dimitroff:
    Julio Jones trade
    Drafts too many injury prone players (Baker, Spoon, Jones, Jerry)
    Overspends in free agency

There's some things that I could pin on Dimitroff, but the issue could also be the coaching staff:
    Our mid/late round picks don't really develop... This could be because they never get any playing time, and it could be because they don't get good coaching.
    Our drafted talent sucks... or... the drafted talent is actually ok, but the coaching staff doesn't teach the talent to play at the NFL level.
    The coaching staff and talent acquisition department don't seem to be on the same page. I don't know who to blame for that.

So again, there's plenty of evidence out there for justification of getting rid of TD. But there's more reasons to get rid of Smith. At the end of the season, I think that we NEED to get rid of Smith. I don't think that we NEED to get rid of Dimitroff, but I wouldn't be upset if we did. He made his bed.

If/when we do get rid of Smith, I wouldn't be surprised if players come out of the woodwork with stories of how elementary his coaching methods were.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3210
Are you guys actually arguing about when Smitty gets fired? :lol: :up:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
samedi wrote:
I've got no reason to keep Mike Smith after this season, but what I'm (and I believe Pudge is, as well) is that there's nothing to be gained by firing him.



This is where we have our disagreement.

I honestly believe we would be better off with his a$$ out the door right now. Y'all seem to think it's just fine and dandy to let the man run out his season.

Not me. Had he been fired after the London Broil, he's not there to screw up the Browns game.

At the very least: we would not be WORSE OFF if he was no longer calling the plays. Or Koetter. Matt Ryan is capable of running this offense ala Peyton Manning, and yes, he can do it right now, in the middle of the season.

Plus, it shows me that Arthur Blank is not just 'talk'. Just my opinion... :whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6298
Location: Planet Claire
fun gus wrote:
samedi wrote:
I've got no reason to keep Mike Smith after this season, but what I'm (and I believe Pudge is, as well) is that there's nothing to be gained by firing him.



This is where we have our disagreement.

I honestly believe we would be better off with his a$$ out the door right now. Y'all seem to think it's just fine and dandy to let the man run out his season.

Not me. Had he been fired after the London Broil, he's not there to screw up the Browns game.

At the very least: we would not be WORSE OFF if he was no longer calling the plays. Or Koetter. Matt Ryan is capable of running this offense ala Peyton Manning, and yes, he can do it right now, in the middle of the season.

Plus, it shows me that Arthur Blank is not just 'talk'. Just my opinion... :whistle:

That's just pure conjecture, 20/20 hindsight and, IMO, wishful thinking. Kind of reminds me of your risk of injury outlook, you bell unringer you!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26128
Location: North Carolina
RobertAP wrote:
Here are my strikes against Smith:
Makes horrible game day decisions
Does not make good adjustments
Does not scheme to take advantage of an opponent's weaknesses
Does not develop talent
Focuses too much on penalties

Here are my strikes against Dimitroff:
Julio Jones trade
Drafts too many injury prone players (Baker, Spoon, Jones, Jerry)
Overspends in free agency

There's some things that I could pin on Dimitroff, but the issue could also be the coaching staff:
Our mid/late round picks don't really develop... This could be because they never get any playing time, and it could be because they don't get good coaching.
Our drafted talent sucks... or... the drafted talent is actually ok, but the coaching staff doesn't teach the talent to play at the NFL level.
The coaching staff and talent acquisition department don't seem to be on the same page. I don't know who to blame for that.

What talent? Where is this so-called talent that Mike Smith isn't developing?

Charles Mitchell? Bradie Ewing? Cliff Matthews? Akeem Dent? Kerry Meier? Zeke Motta? Garrett Reynolds?

I just don't understand that criticism of Mike Smith. That he's not developing players. You mean, average players are only becoming average players?

RobertAP wrote:
With a couple of exceptions, just about everyone on this team has gotten worse with time.
:?:
Contrary to popular opinion, Garrett Reynolds did improve every year he was here. The problem was that he just didn't have the talent to begin with. He projected to be a career backup and at most a low-end starter, which is exactly what he became.

Corey Peters has gotten worse? Ryan Schraeder? Massaquoi? Trufant? Ishmael? Moore? Bosher? Hawley? Holmes? Vance Walker? Maponga? Goodman? Antone? Blalock? Nicholas? Jamaal Anderson? Grimes? DiMarco?

Who are these players that regressed? White, Babs, Biermann? Yeah, cuz they got old.

Spoon? That's because we switched schemes. McCLain? Dude is a short, slow 7th round pick. Maybe instead of seeing him as regressing, maybe you realize that his 2012 season was just an outlier for what he's been the other 4 years he's been in the league.

What are you talking about??? You say these things because they sound true. Yeah, the Falcons were 13-3 and are now potentially 4-12 or 6-10, so on the surface that regression must be because players have gotten worse. But when you look beyond the surface, you realize it's because the GM let the best players from those other teams either get old (e.g. Jonathan Babineaux, Rodyd White, etc.) or walk away (e.g. John Abraham, Brent Grimes, Tony Gonzalez, etc.) without properly replacing them. Ra'Shede Hageman, Drew Davis, Jonathan Massaquoi, and Levine Toilolo are their so-called replacements.

You see a GM that needed to find replacements for Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez beginning in 2011, and it's about to be 2015 and we still don't have those replacements. We have a GM that continually thinks that you can plug in Day 3 pass-rushers and improve one of the league's worst pass rushes and third-down defenses.

The problem isn't that Mike Smith can't develop talent. The problem is that the team keeps giving him career backups and nothing to work with and then asking him to "develop" it into something more than it is, which is next to impossible.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
Robert Wrote
Quote:
Our coach's system does not develop players for the NFL. His coaching methods develop players for high school/college.


WELL then it should be easy to tell me those methods he uses.

Smith has done good with better players but never great ones. After all we did go to the game that would have gotten us to the Super Bowl.

If Thomas D. would have done anything to make us a better team from last year to this year, I'd love to know what....

YES WE ARGURING WHEN sMITH SHOULD BE FIRED, and please don't look for Blank to do anything close to smart.

He bungled the firing of Coach Reeves, so Reeves was not fired he quit.
He took Jim Mora and had him calling people live, to get out of here!!
He found Mike Vick to be a vicious dog killer, after pushing him in his wheel chair.
He hired Bobby Petrino who did leave halfway through the season.

Jeez all these people and situations, are why the Falcons will never be anything. Blank is worse then Rankin Smith, Rankin, he got us to a Super Bowl.

I'm looking forward to our new Coach, Blank probably won't fire Thomas D.. It will be a circus again, because Bernie Marcus made Blank rich at Home Depot. Blank has not done anything right at this franchise!!

Yes allowing us to do nothing after being 4-11 last year makes Smith get fired this year with another 4 wins or so.

Some here need to realize the Gm is the most important part of a football team. He does or does not get us players!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:02 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
The sad thing is Robert, is your such a Matt Ryan fan, I know not the only one, but the 100 million he is receiving is a joke. Now please don't talk about bad linemen because that's Thomas D.s fault, but your not pushing for him to go!!

Coach Smith brought Ryan along beautifully. He let Turner take the most hits, and when you and others didn't want us to take him to start with, he must have had some drawbacks.

Ryan is the only good person Coach Smith has had. You could mention Julio but he's always leading the league or close too it for receivers.

Your saying things about Coach Smith that just isn't true. Sure when we lose he gets the blame, when we win he still gets the blame.

That's fine, you've forgotten Petrino, Mora, and the botched Reeves firing. You guys (not just Robert) doesn't seem to know what a Gm is suppose to do.

Where are our players on offense and defense??

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:27 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6298
Location: Planet Claire
http://feinstein.radio.cbssports.com/20 ... -get-hurt/
This seems similar to Blank to me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron