It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Rankings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 pm 

This week I'm leading with what I think is the most accurate in the NFL: SI.com. I'm also going to start listing the rankings all the way down to wherever Atlanta sits.

Falcons Average Rank: 12th

CNNSI.com
#1 Indy
#2 Denver
#3 Seattle
#4 Chicago
#5 New York
#6 Jacksonville
#7 Pittsburgh
#8 Cincinnati
#9 Carolina (They rank 11th in the NFL in amount of runs called. Their 3.0 average is dead last. If there were a statistic called: "Most two-yard runs in the course of a season," they'd win it easily. The answer to my argument, if you can actually detect one here, is called 8-3.)
#10 San Diego
#11 Dallas
#12 Tampa (OK, Bucs, here's the deal. When you max protect against a pass rushing team such as the Bears, you use your tight ends to offer help. Got that, HELP, as in, "Help, police, he's got my wallet!" You don't leave them out there alone. You don't put Anthony Becht, all by himself, on Alex Brown. You don't leave the other TE, Alex Smith, solo. How about this as a rule of thumb? Number 80s never block No. 90s.)
#13 Atlanta (What if you created a new statistic, yards gained rushing by non-quarterbacks? How would the Falcons rank? This assumes, of course, that Michael Vick's scrambles are not part of the master plan for a ground game ("Oh yes they are? Oh yes they are!" OK, OK, shaddup already). I'll leave this to someone out there to work out for me, since I'm too tired right now and also don't feel like further bothering poor Nick Stamm of Stats, Inc.)

ESPN.com
#1 Indy
#2 Denver
#3 Seattle
#4 Cincy
#5 Chicago
#6 San Diego
#7 Carolina (Not pretty, but the Panthers got a win on the road in Buffalo, which can be a tough place to play.)
#8 Jacksonville
#9 Steelers
#10 New York
#11 Dallas
#12 Chiefs
#13 Atlanta (People might want Michael Vick to be a pocket passer, but he's a better QB and the Falcons are a better team when his running is a weapon.)
#14 Tampa (Huge stretch for the Bucs, who play their next three games on the road (at Saints, Panthers and Patriots). Two wins would go a long way toward a playoff spot.)

CBS Sportsline
#1 Indy
#2 Denver
#3 Seattle
#4 Jacksonville
#5 Chicago
#6 Pittsburgh
#7 Cincy
#8 San Diego
#9 Carolina (The offense still isn't clicking, and that's a concern heading into the key game with the Falcons. The running game has to come alive.)
#10 New York
#11 Dallas
#12 Atlanta (The Falcons got Steve Mariucci fired and now must try to get back in the division race with a road victory against Carolina. A loss and they'll almost certainly be taking the wild-card route.)
#13 Kansas City
#14 Tampa (Losing a game on a missed field goal was last year's problem. So we thought. The Bucs are still a solid wild-card possibility.)

FOXSports.com (Crack monkey poll) *Out of date: Updated before Thanksgiving *Not included in average
#1 Denver
#2 Indy
#3 Cincy
#4 San Diego
#5 New York
#6 Jacksonville
#7 Pittsburgh
#8 Seattle
#9 Chicago
#10 Dallas
#11 Washington
#12 Kansas City
#13 Carolina (Many people believe the NFC South is the best division in football, but that's a mirage caused by easy scheduling. Carolina is the only team in the NFC South with a win over a non-division opponent that currently has a winning record (New England, back in Week 2).
#14 Oakland
#15 Philly
#16 New England
#17 Atlanta (In the first nine weeks of the season, Atlanta's defense recovered nine of 10 opposition fumbles, while the offense recovered six of nine fumbles. In the last two weeks, Atlanta has not recovered a single opponent fumble on defense, while the offense has dropped the ball seven times and only recovered twice. This is what I mean when I say "fumble recoveries are random.")
#18 Tampa (Atlanta and Tampa Bay are in a virtual tie, separated by .03 percent.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:45 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I've been so disgusted with Foxsports Power Rankings that I don't even look at them anymore. That guy will have a 5-6 team ranked way above an 8-3 team, for example, and his theories just don't pan out. (ie; how can he have Oakland ranked above the Falcons??)

http://www.panthersfanz.com/forums

Join us at Pantherfanz.com!