It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The big difference between us & the Colts.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:42 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

is their Safeties & their O-line. Manning has all day in the pocket and those 2 young Safeties do an excellent job. Sanders & Doss are very young, both under 6 feet tall, and both are very aggressive, fast, and agile. We match or better the Colts in the front 7, but their Safeties are so good they make ours look like slow linebackers. The O-line is a whole other story, but we could easily pick up a couple Safeties in the draft and start at least one right away. Scott played well on Thanksgiving, but after seeing these guys I am not too sure about Scott as a long term solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:51 pm 

I'm not so sure our front seven is better then Indy's front seven.

DE Brock = Smith/Davis
DT Simon < Coleman
DT Reagor > or = Lavalais
DE Freeney > Kerney
LOLB Thornton < DeMo
MLB Brackett < Hartwell and/or Brooking
ROLB June = Brooking or > Boley

I'm giving June the benefit of doubt that he's breaking out this year. But I think overall the front seven units are fairly even with the edge going to Indy on the D-Line and linebackers to Atlanta. That's just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

dirtybirdnw wrote:
But I think overall the front seven units are fairly even with the edge going to Indy on the D-Line and linebackers to Atlanta

I'd agree with that. Even though I'd probably take Brock over Brady. Individually, I think overall talent is probably in our favor, but if you're looking at how well these guys are playing as a unit, you have to take the Colts.

We made 3 lineup changes (Hartwell, Demorrio, and Lavalais) from a year ago, and it hasn't worked in our favor. The Colts made 2 (Simon & Brackett) and it has worked significantly in theirs.

Unless Kevin Shaffer, DeAngelo Hall, Jason Webster, Bryan Scott, Chauncey Davis, Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, and Keion Carpenter all had the best games of their careers, we still don't stand a chance against the Colts if we played them now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:24 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

yeah we'd pretty much get killed by the Colts unless we had really, REALLY good performances by pretty much everyone on our team...it wouldn't be impossible I guess, but very improbable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I'm not so sure our front seven is better then Indy's front seven.

DE Brock = Smith/Davis
DT Simon < Coleman
DT Reagor > or = Lavalais
DE Freeney > Kerney
LOLB Thornton < DeMo
MLB Brackett < Hartwell and/or Brooking
ROLB June = Brooking or > Boley

I'm giving June the benefit of doubt that he's breaking out this year. But I think overall the front seven units are fairly even with the edge going to Indy on the D-Line and linebackers to Atlanta. That's just my 2 cents.

Right, and while they give up rushing yardage, they make up for it by having a great pass rush and good DB's. Sanders is their run stopper and Doss is their centerfielder. The lack of a cinsistent pass rush has been hurting us and the lack of good Safeties is KILLING us. Also, Polamalu made a huge pick for the Steelers early that got them back in the game. Safeties are like the QB of the D, despite what people might believe, because they are responsible for the largest amount of real estate and are the last line of defense. We must get a couple of good Safeties in here &, maybe, let Scott be the Nickel once they start the rookies or something. If we could bring in a couple of Safeties and either a great run stuffer or a good pass rusher, then I think our D would be better than theirs. Our offense is already close and will only get better as the young WR's become consistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Bob Sanders = amazing. Dude is like 5'8" and is ......amazing. Did you guys see him pick up the steeler last niht and just throw him yards back?

Dudes heart is bigger then the RCA dome and he is always giving 110%, running 1,000 mph and never thinks he is out on a play.

Never give up, it's amazing how far that attitude will take you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:49 am 

I've been a big fan of Bob Sanders since his days at Iowa. He was a guy that had 1st round talent, but his size limited his draft stock. Dungy saw the right things in him and made him a 2nd round pick, a surprise to only those that had never seen him play.

One of the reasons I predicted the Colts to go to the Super Bowl this year was because I felt their secondary was going to improve significantly with Sanders in the lineup and Marlin Jackson. Their pass rush really hasn't been an issue for several years, as it's consistently been among the league's best. So adding Corey Simon only helped that fact in that the Colts can now take pressure off their back 7. But the change at MLB was also a key move for the Colts. Gary Brackett proved to me in the American Bowl that he was going to be an improvement over Rob Morris, because Brackett has the speed and instincts that Morris lacked in Dungy's defense, and brings a swagger to that defense that it lacked with Morris.

It's really interesting when you compare what the Colts did defensively as opposed to what the Falcons did. They are similar, but ours didn't quite work out.

But although I know many of you guys want to revamp the defense next year, I don't think we need to make many more than cosmetic changes. I think the defense will bounce back in 2006 to a form more like what we saw in '04. I can't imagine a player of Hartwell's caliber having back-to-back disappointing years. He'll have gelled with the entire defense by next year, and he's going to want to prove himself even more than he did this past year. Last year Demorrio, DeAngelo, Lavalais all got significant PT as rookies and I think it has shown this year. Sure Lavalais isn't on par with Coleman and DeAngelo hasn't always played to his best ability, but I have little doubt both won't turn out to be top players at their positions. I think with Babs, Davis, Boley this year, we'll see those guys make similar leaps in 2006.

If Mathis bounces back and Cash too, our nickel spot is going to be much improved. And face, both of those guys at 80 or 90% is still better than Rossum at 110%. Safety is definitely a concern, but I don't think we have to spend millions on a Adam Archuleta or Tank Williams. I and others have suggested Will Demps, who I felt would have been a very good fit here in ATL, but now that he's torn his ACL, he's a big question mark.

So are the answers to the Falcons questions in the draft? Maybe, but I think it will be determine mostly by which juniors decide to enter this year.

Profile E-mail