All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Carlton Mitchell
6-3/215
South Florida Junior

PROS: Has good size and frame coupled with good speed to stretch defenses. Gets a nice release off the line. Has nice hands. Shows some shiftiness as a runner after the catch. Is a willing blocker that uses his size and strength well to get position and lock on. Does a nice job blocking downfield.
CONS: Not a natural receiver, as he doesn't have great body control nor does he track the deep ball very well. Body catches at times. Has lapses in concentration, not securing the ball before turning upfield. Sometimes dances too much after the catch thinking he's a 190-pounder. Needs to push off at times to get spacing downfield.
OVERVIEW: He has an excellent blend of size and speed, and flashes big play potential. But not a natural receiver and hasn't yet developed to match his physical tools. USF used a rotation of receivers for most his career, but he was finally able to nail down the starting job as a junior. Production wasn't significantly better than what it was in previous years besides having a few more big plays.
NFL FORECAST: He reminds me a lot of Michael Jenkins, except I think he is a bit more raw than Jenkins was when he came out of Ohio State. He definitely has the potential to be a starter, but he doesn't show the natural skillset to be one. He's more of an athlete playing receiver than anything else. And thus I think he'll spend most of his career as an underachieving reserve. He may eventually land a starting position down the road, but like Jenkins I don't think he'll be a reliable playmaker and will be just an average complementary guy. He's a boom/bust prospect that I don't think is going to take off. I would really only like his chances if an able veteran was to take him under his wing.
ATL FORECAST: Mitchell could come to Atlanta, and contribute as a No. 4 guy. His skillset is similar to Jenkins in that he's big, fast, and can block. But he too has questionable hands and lapses in concentration. And within two or three years, he'd probably be ready to replace Jenkins as the starter. But he isn't an upgrade, just a continuation of the same inconsistency that has mired Jenkins his entire career.
VALUE: His physical tools may trick somebody into taking him earlier in the draft, but he's really a fourth round pick. Unless a team is desperate for a big, vertical weapon, then he'd be a reach in the third.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average,4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
HANDS: 3.0
AFTER CATCH: 3.0
BODY CONTROL: 2.5
RANGE: 2.5

Profile E-mail