All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shay Hodge, WR, Mississippi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:21 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Shay Hodge
6-1/209
Mississippi Senior

PROS: Has good hands and tracks the ball well in the air. Secures the ball well before turning upfield after the catch. Has nice speed and burst. Shows good potential as a route-runner. Gets a nice release. Not afraid to go over the middle and has the size and ability to shield his body to avoid the big hit.
CONS: Lacks burner speed and not going to be able to consistently challenge defenses vertically. Will drop some passes from time to time.
OVERVIEW: A two-year starter that was most productive as a senior with 70 catches for 1135 yards and 8 scores. Probably could have been even more productive with a more consistent quarterback than Jevan Snead.
NFL FORECAST: He has possession wideout slapped all over him. But that's not a bad thing. There is quite a bit about him that reminds me of a Hines Ward type of player. He seem to be a guy that will do a lot of the little things to be a successful NFL receiver, and probably has more toughness and polish as a route-runner than almost anybody in this class. So it wouldn't surprise me if five years from now he's one of the better prospects to come out of this class and a safety net for some quarterback in the league. He won't be a playmaker, but more of a chain mover. If he was to be mentored by a veteran like a Hines Ward or Torry Holt, then I would really like his chances to become a starter. With a year or two under his belt, I think he's a guy that can consistently give you 60-70 catches a year. At the very least, I expect he'll be a good No. 3 wideout, and by the time his rookie contract expires should be getting offers from other teams to be their starter.
ATL FORECAST: Hodge would have the chance to be a nice option for Matt Ryan. While he would be more of a complementary threat to Roddy in the Falcons offense, his attention to detail and toughness might make him a better asset than Jenkins because his playing style is more reminiscent of Roddy's. His production probably wouldn't be significantly higher than Jenkins, but he'd be more reliable and clutch receiver on third downs.
VALUE: I would say because of his lack of playmaking ability as a complementary receiver, he would work best as a third round option. But if he sneaks into the end of the second round, I don't think that would be a major reach.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average,4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 3.0
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 2.5
BODY CONTROL: 3.5
RANGE: 3.5

Profile E-mail