All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: David Gettis, WR, Baylor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:32 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

David Gettis
6-4/215
Baylor

Pros: He has good speed and acceleration to challenge defenses as a vertical weapon. He uses his size well as a blocker and can get the seal on the edge. Does a nice job securing the ball before turning upfield after the catch and shows some body control to make the catch in traffic. Can be an effective kickoff returner because of his speed.
Cons: Doesn't have great hands and will body catch too much. Doesn't attack the ball well in the air and needs to do a better job timing his jumps. Not a natural runner after the catch despite his speed.
Overview: His combo of size and speed makes him an upside guy. But he's not a natural receiver. Was the regular kickoff returner as a sophomore and took one back, but not used there much since then.
NFL Forecast: He'll get opportunities and in time I think he can develop into a decent complementary option. I'm not sure he's a good enough receiver to be a reliable starter, but I don't think I'd have a problem with him being the third option. As a role player he can be valuable because of his speed and threat as a vertical option. But if he were to be a starter, I doubt he'd be very productive one. He just doesn't have reliable enough hands nor the natural feel for the position. He looks more like a track athlete than a natural receiver. More than likely he'll be a good fourth guy, but he does offer the potential to be a good third guy.
ATL Forecast: Gettis adds size in the mix for the Falcons which is a bonus. He could help out on special teams as a returner, but his ability to stick in Atlanta will be largely dependent on if he can impact in coverage right away. If so, he has a chance to be developed down the road. He could eventually succeed Michael Jenkins as the team's other outside threat, but he won't be an upgrade over Jenkins, nor be a better option to Ryan than Douglas or White, but he could at least be another tall receiver that can block, and make plays downfield. He's faster than Jenkins, but otherwise their skillset is comparable. But more than likely, Gettis would never get off the bench in Atlanta.
Value: He's a mid-round prospect that probably is more in line with a fifth rounder in terms of talent, but his tools might make some team take him in the fourth. Any higher would be a major reach.

Profile E-mail