All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

LeGarrette Blount
6-0/241
Oregon Senior

PROS: A very powerful runner that craves contact and likes delivering blow to the defender. Will run over a linebacker and runs hard downhill. Has good vision and nice footwork and burst for his size. Can make guys miss on the second level.
CONS: Dances too much in the backfield. Not smooth to or through hole and can take some time to build up speed and momentum. Wasn't used much in the passing game.
OVERVIEW: Blount has well-documented character issues having punched a Boise State player on the opening weekend of college football and being suspended for the next 10 games. He wasn't as smooth or explosive as a senior as he was as a junior, and the time away due to the suspension might have been a big reason why. Finished year with 82 yards on 22 carries and 2 scores. As a junior, had 1002 yards, 7.3 average, and 17 touchdowns.
NFL FORECAST: Blount is a power runner that as a senior reminded me a lot of T.J. Duckett. And I think he could be an excellent short-yardage back. Oregon's spread offense likes to use a lot of zone-blocking, and he fits best in a zone-blocking scheme where he can be used as a one-cut runner and run a lot of slants. If he shows the burst and quickness he displayed as a junior, then he has a good chance to be a Marion Barber type of back that can split carries with a speedster. But I think his ability will probably fall somewhere between Duckett and Barber. It wouldn't be crazy for teams to look at him as a fullback either because with his size and power, he could make a nice transition there as well, particularly if he was to play for Mike Shanahan who loves his type of player working at that position. The character issues concern me a little bit in that I'm not sure his work ethic is as high as you want it to be in order for him to get maximum ability out of his potential. But it certainly wouldn't stop me from targeting him as a niche player that would be an asset for almost any offense, particularly a zone-blocking team looking to add some power.
ATL FORECAST: Blount could be an asset in Atlanta down the road, but would probably be hard-pressed to get significant minutes early in his Falcon career. He could be used as a short-yardage back to spell Turner a bit, but probably wouldn't be an upgrade. He could be converted at fullback, but probably wouldn't be any better an option than Snelling there, at least not initially. Two or three years down the road he could be a significant part of the running attack, probably getting work in short yardage situations and potentially getting up to 15 carries a game. But the Falcons probably don't have the ideal blocking scheme that would allow him to excel as the featured guy.
VALUE: Blount has late second round talent, but the character probably knocks him to a third round value.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average,4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 3.0
POWER: 5.0
AGILITY: 3.0
VISION: 3.0
HANDS: 2.0
BLOCKING: 2.5

Profile E-mail