It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Good size, very intelligent and great intangibles as far as that, does not seem to be a good leader to me (which disappointed me), has slightly above-average arm strength, impressive accuracy and touch on his throws, reads defenses well and despite spending lots of time in shotgun he shows pretty good footwork on his drops. Anticipates his throws well, which to a degree makes up for his lack of impressive arm strength. Showed some toughness and willingness to take a hit in order to deliver a throw. Does not stare receivers down as much as other players who play in spread offenses (he plays in more of a pro-style that uses lots of shotgun), spreads the ball around well, goes through his progressions fairly quickly.

Cons: Limited arm strength, some of his passes float a bit when he throws deep outs or other throws that require more natural arm strength. Very limited mobility, and is a bit of a statue in the pocket. He is ok at stepping up/buying more time in the pocket, but because of his limited mobility he can't buy much time by scrambling outside and regularly gets chased down from behind. His offense employed a lot of short, quick passes. I imagine this was a combination of his offensive line having trouble with pass blocking for longer, deeper routes and his impressive zip on throws 10 yards and under. However on longer throws some of his throws lack zip and occasionally the ball doesn't come out of his hand clean, and he does not throw especially well on the run. He doesn't seem to have a very good feel for the pocket either. At times he forced passes into coverage, but I believe that if he ever becomes a NFL starter he will not make as many poor decisions because he threw the ball an awful lot at WMU. Partially because it was a pass-heavy offense and he often had to throw to keep his team in games or to try to catch up as a result of a pretty porous defense. He doesn't always react to blitzes well and will force passes downfield in the face of pressure occasionally.

Overall: I like him as a mid-late round QB prospect, and should get an opportunity as a NFL backup. He has the intelligence to pick up any playbook, but I am not sure I ever see him developing into an effective starter. He looks to be a career backup/spot starter to me, which hurts me to say because I was very optimistic about his NFL future at the beginning of the season. But the more I watched him the more I realized his combination of limited arm strength, mobility and his lack of impressive leadership capability consequently limited his potential as a NFL QB. He could have a long career as an effective backup and spot starter because of his intelligence and I imagine he will be able to manage a game as a NFL QB. Give him an effective running game, some players to spread the ball around to and some pass protection and he could win games. But he won't make the guys around him better and won't ever be a franchise QB.

Projection: 5th/6th round. I wish I could say he would go earlier, but he will land somewhere as a #3 and eventually work his way up to a #2 after a few years in the league in my opinion. That may be as high on a depth chart as he ever gets without help from injuries though.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

ARM STRENGTH: 2.5
ACCURACY: 3.5
MOBILITY: 1.5
DECISION MAKING: 3.5
MECHANICS: 2.5
POCKET AWARENESS: 2.5
INTANGIBLES: 2.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Last edited by Mr. Offseason on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

QB Tim Hiller
6-4/234
Western Michigan Senior

Pros: Has a quick release with good accuracy and touch on most of his throws. Shows some ability to slide in the pocket to buy himself extra time. Will use the shoulder fake, and can go to his second progression at times.
Cons: Doesn't have a good arm, and will float some passes. Can't get the necessary zip on some throws to the sideline. Needs to show better touch on his deeper throws. Holds onto the ball too long, makes some questionable decisions at times, and will force some throws. He's not a threat to really make plays with his legs and doesn't do well when he's throwing on the run. Needs to tweak his release which is a short-armed one and he tends to push the ball rather than throwing it which contributes to his lacking arm strength.
Overview: He's a productive, big, quarterback that played in the shotgun. Has questionable arm strength and whether he can adjust to the NFL pocket of taking snaps direct from center will contribute to his success.
NFL Forecast: Hiller looks like a career backup in my book. If he can stick in one scheme and master an offense, he could be a decent stopgap starter in the mold of a player like Shaun Hill. Hill also came out of school with a weak arm, but through holding a clipboard for a number of years and because of his smarts was able to be an effective starter with the 49ers. But he'll never be a playoff-caliber quarterback. The same goes for Hiller. But more than likely he'll be a No. 3 for much of his career, and might be able to down the road develop into a capable No. 2. But he's got a lot of polish to do. He doesn't have great pocket awareness, lacks mobility, and doesn't have what most would call an NFL arm. It's good enough to stick in the league, but you'll probably have to re-work his mechanics and release before it becomes "NFL caliber." He'll never be a big armed passer.
ATL Forecast: Hiller would be a body to have in Falcons camp, but unlikely to unseat anybody for a roster spot. Maybe he shines enough for the Falcons to keep him for a year on the practice squad, but his lack of long-term upside means he'd be hard-pressed to stick more than one summer. Even though he could be a competent backup, there are many other players that come along on an annual basis that have more upside than him in that regard. He'd essentially be a fourth arm to have in camp, but has minimal threat of making the roster over either Wilson or Shockley.
Value: For a team looking for a No. 3 that could develop into a decent No. 2 down the road, Hiller is worth a late round pick. But at best he's a sixth round value.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

ARM STRENGTH: 2.0
ACCURACY: 3.0
MOBILITY: 1.5
DECISION MAKING: 3.0
MECHANICS: 2.0
POCKET AWARENESS: 2.0
INTANGIBLES: 2.5

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

You hit on an interesting point about his throwing motion, I couldn't quite put my finger on what bothered me about it but you summarized it pretty well. It's quick but something about the way he releases it allows it to come off funny sometimes when he throws. Not to mention his arm strength and zip on his throws is lacking.

It will be interesting to see if he can work on it and tweak it to improve some of the zip on his throws and to clean up his release a little bit. You graded him lower on mechanics than I did, but other than that we had similar thoughts on him for the most part.

Good post Pudge.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 pm 

Yeah, I usually include release and footwork as part of mechanics, that's why I graded him down. The good thing is that mechanics are usually one of the easier things to "fix" in the NFL, and really can be done by the time OTAs are finished if a guy takes to coaching (and most do). Frankly, he could be working with a passing guru right now and fix those things by the time the Combine rolls around.

So it's not a major concern, but still a concern nonetheless...

Profile E-mail